HP Pavilion 11 x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by fatxander, Oct 30, 2013.

1. jtsmall

jtsmall Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's what I found to be reliable.

1) 5+ hours run time = single battery in tablet only

2) 8+ hours run time = dual batteries, one in tablet and one in keyboard dock

I second Office Depot. In my experience they are pleasant, non confrontational and say they don't know when they don't.

They will take a return without restocking fee no questions asked.

Their prices are generally aggressive.

If they had the Y at or near the MS Store price I would have bought from them. Last I checked about a week ago, just the N.

-jts

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Analytical Guy

Analytical Guy Pen Pal - Newbie

I like Office Depot too, although I like most stores that sell computers, except maybe Frys :)

In this case, however, I was just suggesting Office Depot as a place where someone considering buying the pavilion x2 from Microsoftstore.com could go to feel the machine in person with his own two hands.

Does Office Depot really take electronics back with no questions asked? I have this memory that Office Depot charged a fee to take back open electronic items, while it was Best Buy who would take them back, open, no questions asked.

3. cyberteker

cyberteker Pen Pal - Newbie

jtsmall, thank you for more info that you have posted.

Yes, same here, for more cpu/gpu intensive uses I have a desktop for that.

Likewise, just looking for a hybrid for other basic work/internet uses.

I'm still very curious that you mentioned the Pentium N3520 model
    uses eMMC.

If that is the case, I would definitely choose the 11-h112nr Core i5 model.

On the other hand, the HP Pavilion 11-h110nr (Pentium N3520), 11t-h100 (Pentium N3520),
    and 11-h112nr (Core i5-4202Y) support pages all link to the same
    HP Pavilion x2 PC Maintenance and Service Guide.

The parts & replacement parts listed there show the same M.2 SSD for all models.
    Do you have any links or confirmation from HP that the Pentium version uses eMMC?

Or is it based on your own benchmark tests with the Pentium version?

I'm also eagerly awaiting for your 11-h112nr review and comparisons with the 11-h110nr.

4. cyberteker

cyberteker Pen Pal - Newbie

Analytical Guy, thank for your kind greeting.

I'm happy to be here, and surely glad to have found these forums.
    I am a regular visitor/reader on the NotebookReview website.

As for the battery question, yes, jtsmall is correct in the difference
    with batteries in the tablet & keyboard dock.

The 11t-h100 (Pentium N3520) has that tablet & keyboard dock battery configuration.

Thank you for your personal insight about the typing experience and weight.
    I tried out a co-worker's Asus T100, and liked it. If you say that the typing experience is better on the x2, I'll definitely take that into consideration.

Thank you to you and jtsmall for your opinions and suggestions.

I'll definitely visit Office Depot to try/test an x2.

5. pkmon

pkmon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, this thread is superb and thanks all for your hands-on review.

I live abroad and don't have an option to return stuff which I buy hence am really looking to your upcoming review on Pavilion X2 with Haswell core i5.

I am also looking to get a machine that has decently long battery life, reasonable specs to do everyday computing (desktop apps, ms office, browser with about 20 tabs opened etc) and 2-in-1 design. Would mostly use in laptop mode but also want it to be my tablet and essentially my one and only device (except for a smartphone) as doing multiple configuration / setup etc is not my cup of tea.

Was contemplating the Asus T100 since I read that the atom baytrail quadcore processor is pretty good for normal office use (unlike earlier atom experience that was not good) and superb battery life. Was concerned with storage space and being eMMC but could live with those by accepting a slightly longer app load time and by supplementing with microSD card. Screen size slightly small but some pros in that in tablet mode, it would be better plus sometimes a 10.1" screen allows me to be more focused than a bigger screen (still not completely sure which I prefer 11.6" or 10.8" or 10.1" - each has its pros and cons so i guess the middle path - 10.8" - would be best for me but all acceptable). But biggest concern was 2gb RAM which i think would make it very sluggish for my use. As i typically have about 20 tabs open in my browser, plus with microsoft offfice, pdf reader, antivrus etc - felt it is not enough.

Alternatives being considered are Dell Venue Pro 11 (including i5 haswell, or pentium / atom baytrail) or HP Pavilion 11 x2 (both the i5 haswell as well as pentium / atom baytrail). Of course, if all else is pretty similar, a config of i5, 4gb ram, 128gb ssd would be great !

One concern I have with the HP Pavilion 11 x2 is the weight at 3.3 pound (1.5 kg) (combined tablet and keyboard) which seems heavy. The T100 is 1.2 kg and the Sony Vaio Pro 11 (too expensive though and not 2-in-1) is only 0.78kg for comparison. How do you feel about the weight ?

Regards

6. jtsmall

Weight is an issue for mobile use, no question. In a prior post weight was discussed based on direct experience with weight, tablet size and primary, secondary usage configurations and again, in subsequent posts.

The bottom line is that like it's predecessor, the Envy X2, we have a solid brick. Both are (fr HP specs) 3.06 (tablet 1.5) and 3.28 (tablet 1.73) pounds. The Pavilion seems heavier partly because it looks it as the tablet portion is a bit chubby in appearance compared to the Envy.

Still neither are excessive for mobile use (take anywhere, any time) in my hands albeit the Envy's form factor feels subjectively superior.

The good news is that the Pavilion feels more stable when used docked. OTOH the Envy feels better when held as a tablet only.

I personally find 10.1 preferable when held as a table.

I prefer by a significant margin, 11.6, even up to 12.1 if equally light, when used docked as it's typically used further away in this configuration and there's more screen to work with.

11.6 is more compact for carrying about so I give that the advantage or the sweet spot. It's the Goldilocks phenomena: not too little or too big, but just right!

As an aside I will go further. If I'm using the tablet hand held in a chair, 7-8" wins. 7 for Android, 8 for Windows 8 (symmetry, right?). If lying down the 5.5" Android Note 2 is preferable. And if I'm typing handheld much, like right now, Android is preferable since I can run SwiftKey.

I touch type, so I find stability and a larger keyboard (not necessarily full size) an absolute. In this sense the Pavilion is the most desirable. The ASUS T100, or 10.1 Transformer series, cramped. And the Envy tends to two over when placed in my lap. But when moving about, and for its cool factor, I'd rather have the Envy in hand.

To take it a step further even, if I'm traveling light with only a tablet, I'm packing a Bluetooth keyboard too! iPad users will have more options to choose from with the plethora of keyboard cases like the Zagg series.

How's that for equivocation? Like so many preferences the conclusion is contingent on the use case. And no doubt others may find they hold a somewhat different opinion. In any event we've come a long way from the barely transportable Osborne 1 and Kaypro 10 suitcases we once lugged about.

The Sony is delightfully light but is an Ultrabook and not a 2 in 1 Transformer hybrid and makes it another discussion. For my dollar I have preferred thin and lights over Ultrabooks for their ease in upgrading parts, eg storage, RAM and radios (Wifi and Bluetooth) mostly. But now with Windows 8.1, touchscreen and resolution become additional considerations.

And it's getting quite complex.

-jts

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  7. jtsmall

Seriously excellent questions!

I did not run a CrystalDiskMark, nor did I open up the tablet so I cannot fully answer.

I believe HP marketing is being deliberately misleading and playing fast and loose with the terms...

- eMMC
    - flash
    - SSD

Couple that with the universal one size fits all 1) user guide and the 2) maintenance and service manual and 3) slip stream product and documentation changes I find it difficult to be sure.

My clear impression, the specification sheet printed out three weeks ago (put in the trash two days ago and now gone) and how the single battery N3520 felt hands on, is it has eMMC.

The two battery model is listing 'flash SSD' . HP and other brands are also listing eMMC as 'SSD' which is pure marketing film flam.

Given this state of affairs perhaps a CrystalDiskMark score would be definitive but I'd like visual conformation too.

And so I cannot answer to either your or indeed my satisfaction.

-jts

8. pkmon

pkmon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi jtsmall,

Thanks for your detailed reply. We, and many others I am sure, seem to be in similar thought process and dilemma.

I agree with your view on which device size is best for which use, as well as the need for stability as the laptop mode is still the most important for many people.

And I like many devices ! I like the ipad air, the ipad mini, the google nexus 7" android tablet, samsung note 8" or 10" or pro 12" android tablets, some of the new windows 8 8" tablet based on the atom baytrail processor. i like LG flex 6" or Pro 2 6" phone, sony note 3 5.5" or mega 5.8" or mega 6.3", sony xperia ultra 6.4" phone ! I do like the iphones (os and interface is very smooth) but for the small size - now that they are rumours that a 5.5" iphone phablet will come around, it will make the dilemma worse ! i like macbook air 11" and quite a few windows laptop including the asus transformer t100, dell venue pro 11 (based on specs only as there is no demo unit i can put my hands on), hp pavilion x2 (again based on specs only), lenovo yoga 11.6", sony vaio pro 11, samsung ativ detachable, toshiba detachable.

For me, I ideally don't like to have too many different devices, as the constant configuration / upgrading, synching etc seems to be too much of an hassle for me. So I am still trying to figure out my ideal "strategy" and I am moving towards a 2-device strategy consisting of a windows 10"-12" 2-in-1 laptop/tablet paired with a 6" android phone (eg LG flex or Pro 2) which acts as both my phone and a slightly-less-than-ideal "tablet". For most apps, a 6" phone is more than sufficient, but for web browsing (which is what the "tablet" will be used for a lot, it may not be sufficient). So in worst case, a 3-device strategy with a windows laptop paired with a sony xperia ultra 6.4" "phone" that I will really use as my tablet (i love the nexus 7" tablet but the drawback is i am not able to put into my pant pocket and so still need to carry in my hand when i am moving around, whereas the 6.4" suffer a slight drawback in size but I can easily carry in my pocket) and a third device ie a smaller phone in the range of 4-5" (as making calls on the xperia 6.4" is really not ideal not to mention that i will look really odd ! having said that, these days i even see some people using a 7" tablet as their phone !). Of course a 3-device strategy adds to cost and bulk and am trying not to go that way.

Ironically, despite liking so many devices, there is no perfect windows laptop i can find. Microsoft Surface (and sony tap 11, hp omni 10 etc) don't have full laptop keyboard doc and is out for me. The Sony Vaio 11 is not detachable but in weight, it is in tablet territory, and has top end specs, and decently battery life. I could still use it in a sofa or bed due to its lightness though slightly awkward. But it is priced out of reach. The Lenovo Yoga 11 has top-end specs, can go in multiple modes, but as a tablet, it becomes too heavy. I am not too sure about the battery life either. And price is still quite high. The Samsung Ativ detachable is great in that it also has a slot to put in a SIM card and so no need to tether to the phone when no wifi is available, and in general high specs but uses the 3rd gen i5 processor, battery life?, slightly dated product and priced out of reach. The toshiba detachable too has high specs but for the 3rd gen i5 processor and priced out of reach. The asus t100 in some way seems pretty good - though it has slightly less than ideal screen size and keyboard (and apparently terrible touchpad), the price is good. Battery life is superb and the model sold here also includes a 500gb hard disk in the keyboard dock so all my data can go with me. weight is good. Free microsoft office ! From what i have read, the resolution of 1366 x 768 is better than full hd (or higher) for desktop apps else they become tiny so i am very happy with the resolution. Slight concern on the processor (though i am reading everywhere that atom baytrail is more than good enough for office use) but biggest concern is the 2GB ram which i know from experience can become really sluggish and a bottleneck if you have a few programs running and many tabs on the browser. Plus i have read some issues such as system hang if put to charge while in sleep mode (it is not practical to fully shut down every night before charging).

The Dell Venue Pro 11 with i5 haswell processor seems on paper to be ideal. It has top-end specs (i5, 4gb ram, 128gb ssd), is detachable etc. I am not totally sure on its battery life and weight. But the price is high once the keyboard is included. So now I am looking forward to the review of HP Pavilion X2 with i5 processor - weight is still a concern for me, but if all else works, it could seriously be the contender. (PS as we speak, new models are being launched including the dell xps 11, and a rumoured asus t200 so may decide to hold out for a while)

Regards

9. jtsmall

As a run up to the performance of the Pavilion 11 X2 configured with the Intel Core i5-4202Y it might be interesting to refresh one's memory on its predecessor, the Envy X2.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Envy-x2-11-g000eg-Tablet.87799.0.html

The CrystalDiskMark scores are the same as I obtained today on my copy of the Envy X2.

I should be posting later tonight with an update, probably amending this post with the results if all goes well.

-jts

10. jtsmall

Hello pkmon.

That's a lot to think about and in the end only you can decide what fits best. A couple of observation...

1) A Bluetooth headset would allow you more freedom with any smartphone including making the larger options viable and provide for undisturbed listening too.

2) A Chromebook keeps itself updated, now comes in various sizes and is perfect for Web browsing. Some can be opened and the memory module swapped out from 2 to 4 GB and indeed the SSD can be swapped to a larger size most likely. They are also relatively cheap.

3) I agree the T100 and Venue 11 Pro are strong options with, as all devices, certain trade offs. Nod to the ASUS for light and compact. Nod to the Dell for keyboard and enormous battery run time.

4) Acer and Lenovo (Miix 2 11) have rumored models due within a month.

5) As for phablets, if necessary, I could do quite well with only my Note 2. But why? Many devices are relatively low cost, it's great to have options and the freedom to have at hand the optimal device for each scenario.

6) When price and flexibility are considerations the 2 in 1 hybrids become strong contenders. Especially the Pavilion and (ASUS) Transformer hybrids.

-jts

Last edited: May 7, 2014