HP Pavilion 11 x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by fatxander, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Hobby-IT-DE

Hobby-IT-DE Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, greetings from Germany :hi2:!

First of all, this is a great forum - and as I own the HP Pavilion 11 X2 (N3510 version; h000sg), I read through various topics in this forum and can just agree with those who are fully satisfied with this great device as indeed you can efficiently work with that computer and also enjoy playing games, streaming videos using WiDi etc - to me it's a real all-in-one device.
    Btw, as the original 64GB SSD did not meet my requirements, I have replaced it with a 240GB SSD (Crucial M500 SSD4). Considering the additional 64GB on my micro SD, I now have plenty of disc space on my tablet PC (that others only reach with docking stations etc). :D

Certainly I'm also looking forward for the next generation of HP convertibles as to me, these have the best and REALLY robust solution to arrest the tablet on the base.

Cheers,
    Markus

2. jtsmall

jtsmall Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello Markus.

I envy your Munich beers! A special nod to Augustiner on draft - it's just not the same when the bottles hit our shelves in the USA.

Excellent. I've been thinking about an SSD DIY upgrade. I find the i5-4202Y X2 good enough I'm using it as my go to device for extended typing (touch typist) and Adobe RAW photo editing, itself a somewhat demanding application. Images, especially RAW high megapixel images, really chew up the storage space.

How involved getting in and out of the tablet to swap out the SSD? I would expect difficulty.

Thanks.

-jts

3. Hobby-IT-DE

Hi jts,

I don't drink beer but sometimes hear that the German beer is well known out there. However, I am really envious of your cars! Fortunately, I already had some nice GM products and if everything goes well, I'll buy another one next year - pre-owned but "the right one" (for me); 2 seats, 6.0L V8, >400hp...

Regarding the SSD swap: That's not difficult at all. You just have to be very careful of course. But actually the hardware change does not take more than 15 minutes. I have spent much more time -about 2 hours (excl. data backup) or so- to create the Windows 8 recovery media (I used a USB stick) and if you are not fully familiar how to do so, it's worth to spend some time on that topic. After the system is restored, you should first install the Windows update KB2871839. With the method I used, the system was back to Windows 8 and you first have to install at least the above mentioned update in order to be able to upgrade to Win 8.1 again - and I certainly only can speak for the N3510 version; maybe the driver updates are slightly different for your i5 powered Pavilion.
    Just in case you did not see HP service manual yet, you can find some very helpful information from the HP website. Just search for "c04056230 hp" in the internet to find the service manual.
    If you like, I can post some pictures from where you can see where the back cover is latched / locked(?... not sure what the correct English word is).

Cheers,
    Markus

4. jtsmall

Yes, please post what images you can.

Reviewing the service manual is what suggested a DIY SSD swap is possible. I'm glad to hear from you that getting into the table is not an issue other than exercising caution.

Thanks.

-jts

PS. Consumed a Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn in your honor!

5. Hobby-IT-DE

Hi jts,

Prost! :)

Can you tell me if there is a way to upload images to the forum or can I only include embedded pictures / hyperlinks? I only have the pictures on my local machine and cannot find an upload function.

From a sunny and warm Germany,
    Markus

6. jtsmall

Screenshot (4).jpg Yes, you can upload images from your computer and with Tapatalk, from your mobile Android device. From your computer there's an icon bar when you are composing a message that enables uploading.

-jts

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Screenshot (6).jpg Screenshot (7).jpg Screenshot (8).jpg

You'll get the idea from these screenshots. The graphic shows how long the Envy X2 runs in standby mode. It's amazing and as much as I like the Pavilion 11 X2, the Envy X2 is the champ if you require extended battery life per charge! 195 hours on this charge so far - amazing.
    Screenshot (5).jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  7. Hobby-IT-DE

Hi jts,

THANK YOU! I did not realize the difference between the quick reply and the "advanced" option and now found the icon to attach files.

As promised, here some images:

11X2_Cover_Top.jpg View attachment 6295 View attachment 6296 View attachment 6297

Please let me know if you're missing any details and I will search through the pictures I took when I had the tablet open.

Bye for now,
    Markus

8. Hobby-IT-DE

From this picture you can see that you have to be very careful and to avoid damage to the system board or other components, don't insert the tool deeper than 2-3mm. As mentioned in the HP service manual, start at the top side.
    11X2_001_Inside_Top_2400x1800.jpg

9. jtsmall

Fantastic interior view of the tablet portion! Do you have more of the tablet including specifically the SSD drive?

Thanks.

-jts

10. jtsmall

Quick update.

This 2 in 1 has been a beast!

o I'm seeing 7 - 9 hours depending on use

o i5-4202Y processor cuts through Lightroom RAW development like hot knife though butter

o footprint great for mobility - a true road warrior's machine

So, why has HP stopped production, focusing on the same guts in a heavier, less mobile 13.3" 2 in 1? That's a real puzzlement to me. Yet, I'm reasonably sure HP knows what they're doing in the marketplace.

-jts