HP Omni10 Windows 8.1 Tablet Hands-on Preview Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by J.R. Nelson, Sep 19, 2013.

1. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Site Admin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Bummer that it is showing a capacitive stylus in the picture which likely means no active digitizer....oh well

3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The 2gb of ram also seems like a bummer, unless it can be option up/upgraded to 4gb.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I believe they are using the T Variant which only supports 2GB of RAM and a 32bit OS.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I wonder if this means that the Elitepad 900 is at the end of its development as well. It looks to me as if HP has given up completely on Windows tablets.

6. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

No way...there are too many jackets hanging in the closet to give up now!

I expect a quad-core with 4 GB of RAM, but I really hope it will have a real digitizer...

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HP has been so disappointing lately. They have been putting out some very nice tablets as of late...but are utterly ruined by the lack of a Wacom Digitizer. I'd even take the newer N-trig tech over Amtel or their capacitive stylus's.

8. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

I can understand the desire to not spend the money on a full Wacom digitizer although I suspect that Wacom has lowered the cost to compete in the now crowded market, but (and there always is a butt), the N-trig 4 is only around $50. Yes, if the Atmel is only $15 that is $35 saved per unit and when you sell hundreds of thousands of TabletPC's that can add up. However, I believe that the incremental is not lost money because the company can charge for it.

As it stands now, the Elitebook 810 is not going to sell very well and to those it does it will likely be returned. How much did the Atmel system really save?

I blame Microsoft for all of this. Why? When they ran scared because of the self-proclaimed 'experts' when MS was blasted for having a pen, needing a ctrl-alt-del button, and not having a 16:9 aspect ratio they responded with 'pen optional', 16:9 ratio as minimum for snap, and the removal of the button. HP, and other integrators, bought the 'pen optional' hook, line, and sinker. With Windows 8.1 MS has recanted a bit to allow 'other resolutions', uh read 16:10 aspect ratio, it will be better. However, the damage is already done and now we see 2nd generation stupidity continuing.

9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What? Is HP really making that much money on Android over windows tablets?

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I don't know if HP in particular is, but android outsells windows tablets significantly. I would be surprised if its even close to a 10:1 ratio. Around 30 million android devices are sold per quarter. The Surface Pro and RT sold only about 1 million in 3 quarters. I hope to see that change, but its hard to blame HP for focusing on Android.

On the bright side the design reference tablets they used in the Bay Trail benchmarks from AnandTech were identical for both the Android and Windows devices, so if Bay Trail goes anywhere in the android space we may end up seeing them ported to windows since all the OEM would have to do is install a different OS. I hope the next Galaxy Note device has Bay Trail =P

11. gxtoast

gxtoast Pen Pal - Newbie

I keep seeing manufacturers continuing to produce 16:9 ratio tablets and each time it is "nope", "nope", "nope"... It will be nope until they finally get it right and produce a 16:10 tablet that is actually useful in landscape and portrait. Until then, FORGET IT, MICROSOFT!

12. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"FORGET IT, MICROSOFT!"

It's not Micrososft's fault if the oems don't make the hardware that you want. :) Heck even if ONE did... "OMG... They've copied Apple". (Then again I suppose MS could release their own 16:10 tab)

13. gxtoast

gxtoast Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Excalibur, unfortunately, in this case it definitely has been Microsoft forcing OEMs into 16:9, as DCeggert said:

Apple is 4:3 (iPad) and Android is 16:10, and now Sharp looks to be the first on the Windows platform to embrace sanity and develop a 16:10 display. They must be commended :)

It has been strange that Microsoft has accused the iPad of being only a content consumption device and yet themselves forced Windows 8 into a display size truly designed only for content consumption: that of watching 1080 or 720 movies.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  14. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The oems are big boys.. they can look after themselves! :)

15. Moyado

Moyado Pen Pal - Newbie

in terms of graphics performance ... what tablet is better? hp omni 10 or asus transformer t100 ? I dont care about the screen resolution , I know that hp omni 10 has a larger resolution but I prefer more speed than more pixels on the screen . both use the same processor and ram but is the same graphics chip ?

16. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

This will be in Microsoft Stores in a few days. Go check it out if you can. I'll be there in a week to compare it to the Surface 2, and the Nokia 1520 and 2520.

17. fatxander

fatxander Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes it is the same graphics processor as the T100. It is a different regular processor, though... however nothing with the processor in this one (Z3770) is out yet. Look for benchmarks for the Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail-T variant (same processor) or this one, as they are the first two out the gate and should perform similarly.

From what I've seen, though, people aren't thinking that most games will see much significant performance difference between this processor and the variant in the T100.

If you want something with better performance, consider jumping up to a tablet with the Pentium chip in it. Take a look at the HP Pavilion 11 X2, which comes with a keyboard and has the same resolution as the Asus T100, but has that speedier processor and has 4GB of RAM. Dell Venue 11 Pro can also be ordered with a Pentium rather than the Bay Trail-T. Realize you will be sacrificing battery life, though, for either of those.