HP Omni10 Windows 8.1 Tablet Hands-on Preview Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by J.R. Nelson, Sep 19, 2013.

1. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Site Admin

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Bummer that it is showing a capacitive stylus in the picture which likely means no active digitizer....oh well

3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The 2gb of ram also seems like a bummer, unless it can be option up/upgraded to 4gb.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I believe they are using the T Variant which only supports 2GB of RAM and a 32bit OS.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I wonder if this means that the Elitepad 900 is at the end of its development as well. It looks to me as if HP has given up completely on Windows tablets.

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

No way...there are too many jackets hanging in the closet to give up now!

I expect a quad-core with 4 GB of RAM, but I really hope it will have a real digitizer...

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HP has been so disappointing lately. They have been putting out some very nice tablets as of late...but are utterly ruined by the lack of a Wacom Digitizer. I'd even take the newer N-trig tech over Amtel or their capacitive stylus's.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I can understand the desire to not spend the money on a full Wacom digitizer although I suspect that Wacom has lowered the cost to compete in the now crowded market, but (and there always is a butt), the N-trig 4 is only around $50. Yes, if the Atmel is only $15 that is $35 saved per unit and when you sell hundreds of thousands of TabletPC's that can add up. However, I believe that the incremental is not lost money because the company can charge for it.

As it stands now, the Elitebook 810 is not going to sell very well and to those it does it will likely be returned. How much did the Atmel system really save?

I blame Microsoft for all of this. Why? When they ran scared because of the self-proclaimed 'experts' when MS was blasted for having a pen, needing a ctrl-alt-del button, and not having a 16:9 aspect ratio they responded with 'pen optional', 16:9 ratio as minimum for snap, and the removal of the button. HP, and other integrators, bought the 'pen optional' hook, line, and sinker. With Windows 8.1 MS has recanted a bit to allow 'other resolutions', uh read 16:10 aspect ratio, it will be better. However, the damage is already done and now we see 2nd generation stupidity continuing.

9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What? Is HP really making that much money on Android over windows tablets?

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I don't know if HP in particular is, but android outsells windows tablets significantly. I would be surprised if its even close to a 10:1 ratio. Around 30 million android devices are sold per quarter. The Surface Pro and RT sold only about 1 million in 3 quarters. I hope to see that change, but its hard to blame HP for focusing on Android.

On the bright side the design reference tablets they used in the Bay Trail benchmarks from AnandTech were identical for both the Android and Windows devices, so if Bay Trail goes anywhere in the android space we may end up seeing them ported to windows since all the OEM would have to do is install a different OS. I hope the next Galaxy Note device has Bay Trail =P