HP Omni 10 ... Where did ithis come from?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Nov 3, 2013.

1. 2HO

2HO Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. BH Photo had a deal on the Sandisk 64gb Extreme Plus SDXC micro (80mb read/50mb write) for about $64. I just got it today and plugged it in. The Omni reads it just fine. Will have to run disk speed tests soon.

2. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

That's great information. I was wonder that very thing the other day ........what sandisk level of card to get reg, ultra or extreme. Please let me know what you find out regarding the speed test to determine if there are any bottle necks on the Omni card slot.

In case you were looking for a portfolio leather cover case, the Targus kickstand works but it is snug. It also has a hole at the power and usb ports so that you could charge the Omni while in the case. Best buy has it for $27.99 ($7 off) right now.

I read reviews for the rocketfish (best buy) leather case cover which has hard plastic adjustable corners actually scratch your tablet and leave marks on the samsung tablets which are thinner so I stayed away from that case.

I've only played with mine a little bit so far but I'm impressed with everything except its a little heavy (1.5 lb) but for $349 for a Tablet PC with full Win8.1 and MS office I can't really complain. This thing really suits my needs.

Thanks again for sharing the info on the SD card. I'll be looking for your post on speed test.

C-ya!:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. TacoJ

TacoJ Pen Pal - Newbie

I picked up an Omni 10 at a local Office Depot, I already have two issues with mine unfortunately.

First thing is that the screen flickers when you're scrolling around the "Start page" or doing basically anything that has a lot of motion. By flicker I mean it notability dims then goes back to regular brightness, kind of like a sped up auto-dimming that isn't intended. My second issue with the unit, is that the included AC adapter is a loose fit. I plugged it in a couple of hours ago because it was at 12% battery life. When I came back to check on it it was still at 12% battery life. I noticed that if you spin or even just touch the AC adapter after you've plugged it in, it stops charging the device. I've had some touchy chargers in the past, but this is an unacceptable level of play in the charger. It's at a point where it would be near impossible if you wanted to use the tablet while it's plugged in and still get a charge.

The Office Depot I got mine at only had the 1 unit in-stock, so I'm not sure how they're going to handle this when I try to return it. As they only do exchanges unless you want to pay a 15% restocking fee for a return. I think I'm going to see if another Office Depot who has one in stock will let me do an exchange at their store even though I bought it elsewhere, if not I guess that's it with my run on the Omni 10.

Outside of those two issues, it seems like a great unit. The display is very crisp as you would expect from such a high resolution screen on a 10.1 inch frame. I decided to go for this Omni over the Venue 11 because the Omni is a 16:10 ratio screen as opposed to the Dell 11's 16:9 screen. I wanted the 16:10 because I'll be using it to read PDF documents mainly.

The finish on the back is a very lightly textured matte black and it feels very nice in the hand, if it wasn't for the faulty charger plug I would say it feels pretty premium for a plastic device. My unit has no obvious flex or creaking from the little I've used it so far.

Have any of you other Omni 10 owners experienced a loose fitting charger cable? I'm hoping that I just got unlucky and picked up a bad unit, because I really do want to like this device. Its one of the few Windows 8 bay-trails on the market with a 16:10 screen, I think it may be the only 10 inch model that has that aspect ratio actually.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  4. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

@Taco

I have not noticed any flickering of the screen, so your unit sounds defective.

As for my AC adapter, I assume your talking about the round plug that goes into the Omni port. Mine is snug. The AC adapter that plugs into a my surge protector strip is also snug. So I think that yours situation is unique and needs to be replaced.

My main concern with this unit is the battery life. I hope it lasts. If I had the money, I would have probably got the venue pro 11 because it is has very similar specs and has lots of accessories but most importantly it has a replaceable battery. The venue pro 11 price was $150 more than the omni which was too much for me. Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase but I just hope the battery last, if it doesn't then I have a computer with a short cord. ;)

Good luck and I hope you find a replacement!

5. aginor

aginor Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm so tempted... I've been searching a lot on the internet lately, but I can't find any reviews yet, almost nothing on youtube either, strange...
    Can you guys tell what the battery life is, 8.5hrs is the official story (depending on use), but what if I were to watch movies until the battery goes flat? Would I get 6hrs?
    I like the occasional gaming session as well, I'm guessing I can expect around 3-4hrs (depending on the game I guess, with no wifi)?
    Has anyone tried charging it with an external battery?

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Battery life will probably be most influenced by screen brightness.

7. aginor

aginor Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, you're probably right, but what can I expect in terms of battery life if, say, I play games at 50% brightness? Or watch movies at the same brightness? I know it depends on the ambient light, type of games and graphics etc., but i'd be more than happy with a rough estimate :)

8. TacoJ

TacoJ Pen Pal - Newbie

Well today I played with it a little more and was able to fix the screen flicker by using the Intel graphics chipset drivers from Dell. So it's not a defect with the panel but a driver issue, perhaps your model came with newer drivers than mine did. My original drivers were showing an August date, while the newer ones are dated November. Hopefully HP will release their own custom drivers soon enough, but for now the Dell one seems to be working fine. When I get a little more time I'll update my post with a link to the drivers I used. I didn't come up with this idea on my own, I found someone's thread on the HP support forums who was running into the same flickering issue. I've also read that some Dell Venue 11s also have this screen flickering issue, so I think it's a common problem with the same Bay-trailer chipset that both our tablets use.

I do however believe that my AC charger plug is defective because of how loose it is. I'm going to play with this tablet in my free time for the next couple of days then make a final decision as to whether or not I'll exchange it or try to return it for a refund.

So far I really like the device though, I haven't used it much so I can't comment on the battery life yet. Performance wise it's super snappy, it seems much faster and smoother than my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  9. RJB91

RJB91 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm so conflicted. I'm a college student and I'm in the market to buy a new tablet. I would like to buy something that's good with taking notes and after checking out all the different tablets online I have narrowed it down three in my price range..

1. Dell Venue 11 (IDK how much of a hassle it will be to use during class sessions but the size appeals to me otherwise.)
    2. Dell Venue 8 (I like the size and it being light weight going between classes but not so much for doing reports.)
    3. HP Omni 10 (even though it doesn't support an active digitizer pen. Just really appeals to me for some reason.)

Suggestions from the gallery?

10. fatxander

fatxander Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have a different computer you will be typing up papers on? If not then probably want to go with a larger one that'll have a larger keyboard dock.... 8" keyboard dock is just too tiny for writing a lot of papers.

You stated one of your major needs is to take notes. Assuming that means handwritten, you are going to be sad you didn't get a tablet with a digitizer if you go with the Omni 10.

Anyway, if you're going to be writing papers on it get a 10"+ machine for the larger keyboard (although I guess you can USB a regular size keyboard back at home for that even on an 8", so maybe nevermind). If you want to take handwritten notes, get a tablet with a digitizer (don't fool yourself into thinking a capacitive stylus on the Omni 10 will do the trick... it won't.

Maybe think about waiting a month for the Asus 8" with digitizer that was just spied. (See Asus forum.)