HP Omni 10 ... Where did ithis come from?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Nov 3, 2013.

1. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering if anyone has tried streaming a dvd movie from a shared computer or from a thumb drive.

My primary use would be web browsing and steaming DVD movies from a shared/host computer that stores my ripped movies. Also, I occasionally travel and might throw a movie or two on a small USB drive or SD card.

I'm on the fence of getting the Omin 10 or Dell Venue pro with better specs but don't want to spend the extra cash.

Any help on this question would be greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:

2. Kiel

Kiel Scribbler - Standard Member

the omni 10 should be fine doing all the things you listed. Its essentially the same as the dell venue but with a better screen and no active pen input.

Still waiting on the 64gb version though...full windows on 32gb just isn't enough for productivity. Hurry up and take my money, hp!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

3. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

The HP Omni Screen is both better and worse than the Venue 11. Its higher resolution 1920x1280 vs 1920x1080 and its 4/3 aspect instead of 16/9 so its better suited for display of PDF pages and such. But the color saturation isn't nearly as good on the Omni 10, looking at them side by side the Omni looks washed out.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

16:10 aspect, but I agree that it's better. I'd like it even better for web browsing in landscape mode, which is exactly why I was going to buy it.

Color saturation might merely require tweaking the settings, which should be possible since it has a full version of Windows. TV's have always had their color settings severely tweaked for retail, and it wouldn't surprise me if the color settings of these tablets are exaggerated for retail too. I bet some of the artists here have tested this. If they don't check in here, I'll reach out to them for an answer.

I need to check brightness. I'm going back to the Microsoft Store this afternoon, and I'll compare the full brightness with auto brightness off of the Omni 10 against the Venue 11 Pro and Lumia 2520. Iirc, the Venue 11 is rated at 400 nits, the 2520 at 620 nits, and the Omni 10 is not rated.

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

With auto brightness turned off, and all screens set to max brightness, the screens were in the following order by brightest to dimmest according to my untrained eye.

1. Nokia Lumia 2520 with a huge margin
    2. HP Omni 10
    3. Dell Venue 11 Pro, but only a little behind the HP

I didn't play around with color settings. Ideally the screens would be color matched before testing brightness, or tint matched and viewed with a fullscreen solid color, or even better if it was the last one and the MS Store let me bring in my lux meter to get quantitative results.

6. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info. I did verify that the smaller venue pro 8 can play HD video (DivX,H.264 and MPEG2) just fine. I believe that this Bay Trial Intel Z3770 is superior to the Clover trail chip in the small venue pro, so this HP Omni should be perfect for my needs of watching videos and web browsing. I too wish they offered a 64GB version so that I could have a little breathing room to put on some small programs (if needed). I remember some here posted that there was about 15GB of free space on the Omni tablet, which might be a little tight.

Does anyone know how a 32GB tablet handles and micro SD card for added expansion. I figure the micro SD card could be used to hold my docs, photos, music, video similar to a secondary drive on any PC. However, programs would need to be installed on the Omin 32GB hard drive. How about access speed for the micro SD, is there a bottle neck that would limit video stream feeds? Any other Pros and Cons with using a micro SD card as an expansion secondary drive? Thanks for the info so far. :D

7. Kiel

Kiel Scribbler - Standard Member

First a clarification- the dell venue pro 8 also has a baytrail processor, not clovertrail. Its just a slower version than the omni and dell venue pro 11 (3740D on the 8, 3770 on the omni and 11).

As for the SD card question, for speeds you can probably refer to the venue pros thread as the controllers are probably similar. Id imagine video streaming wouldnt be a problem as it gets loaded into the RAM anyways. But speeds i believe are anywhere between 30-80MBps, which are faster than most laptop 5400rpm hard drives you find in netbooks.

You should also be able to install desktop programs on the SD card no problem. Metro apps are limited to the main memory, but I believe there are registry hacks to get around this if you're feeling brave.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

8. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the clarification on the chips. Originally I had pulled up the specs on the venue 8 (android) instead of the venue pro 8 for windows. You're absolutely correct about the chips. Thanks.

Also, thanks for the info on the typical transfer rates for SD cards and the info on how the programs and apps would be installed. That's all great info and leans me back into getting this leaner 32gb version rather than waiting for the 64gb.

Thanks again for the info.:thumbsup:

9. fatxander

fatxander Scribbler - Standard Member

10. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I saw the deal also, so I took it as a sign and picked one up. Merry Xmas to me.:D

I played around with the demo at the store and was pleased with the snappy performance and comfort. I've only been able to charge it so far because I'm tied up this weekend, but I'll update my thoughts on it sometime this week.

Thanks to all who helped answer my questions, it helped me to make the decision of buying what appears to be a quality product.:cool: