HP Omni 10 ... Where did ithis come from?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by excalibur1814, Nov 3, 2013.

1. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

I have done nothing special with screen brightness. By default, screen brightness under "power options" was set at a little less than half. Not sure if this helps or not, if this might make a difference or not but in between uses when testing for my 8 hours of use, I would put the tablet in airplane mode. I did this because a couple of times I took this to work where there is no WiFi and I didn't know if it would waste energy looking for WiFi when not in use. It only takes a couple of seconds to set, so I did it. I'll try to keep track of battery usage without doing that next time to see if I think it makes a difference.

Portrait mode is nice for reading emags but the near 2lb weight with folio cover gets a little tiring, so I use a pillow or something to prop it up in my lap. Not a big deal though cause I rarely get hours of free time to read.

2. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

What model venue were you using? I have the baytrail and get over 9.5 playing video and a solid 8.5 - 9.0 surfing, reading PDFs, etc. at 40% brightness with adaptive brightness and panel-self-refresh disabled. I went with the venue over the omni 10 as it had a bigger battery that was removable (and they only have the 32gb version of the omni 10 available) even though I like the screen aspect and resolution on the omni 10 alot better.

3. PrznMovieFan

PrznMovieFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Baytrail, I have brightness roughly at 35-40% with Adaptive brightness disabled, but what is the panel self refresh, could that make a difference? I also got the Blue Screen of Death a few times while starting up so maybe I have a bad unit. I noticed that my capacity on the battery has already dropped to 28268 after 5 charge cycles

I like the ratio of the Omni as well, such a shame there is no64 model, with app installation 32 just isnt enough

4. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe this is old news for some of you, but it's something new to me.

When I first bought my tablet, HP was not advertising this product on their website and there were no accessories listed on their website.

I just noticed that they now list it under their products and provide a number of accessories like charging stands, adapters, folio covers, etc.

HP Omni10 | HP® Official Store

Hope they invest time and money on developing a keyboard cover for this soon. Depending on the style and thickness then I might be interested but the accessories listed in the link above my be all they do unless this tablet becomes popular. We can only hope.:)

leaftye likes this.
  5. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

Panel self refresh is an option in the intel display settings. Some new display panels have the ability to control screen refreshes themselves which saves power. Unfortunately the Venue 11P atom version display panel has a tendency to flicker with this option enabled so I have it disabled while Dell works on a patch. When panel self refresh is disabled the unit draws about 100-150mw more power. by comparison using the active pen draws about 250-300mw.

6. Ytterbium

Ytterbium Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine just died, it's kind of working you can feel vibrations from buttons when you boot but the screen never works, it was doing it intermittently but now that's it. HP will send me a new one though so just an inconvenience.

7. Malletta

Malletta Pen Pal - Newbie

8. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

Targus sells one called the kickstand that fits nicely. I bought it at best buy for $27.

Targus Kickstand Case for Most Tablets Up to 10.1" THZ200US - Best Buy

It has holes for the camera in back and holes for the power, micro USB and micro hdmi. It works so well that I have never taken it off since the day I bought it.

Also if you look at my post that is slightly above this one, I provide a link to the HP website that also has a cover for this tablet.

As general note about cover for this device, the targus ad mentioned that this worked with the Samsung galaxy tablet, don't remember which version, but it tells me that they are very close in dimensions so some covers for it might work with the omni.

Good luck!

9. Malletta

Malletta Pen Pal - Newbie

Could someone help me? :confused:
    The first charge took only 3 hours or less, and I used it for 7-8 hours, updated with these drivers (without any result) Download di software e driver Tablet HP Omni 10 5600el | HP® Supporto for the screen issues, and then disabled auto-brightness and Automatic Refreshment of the Panel... Today a 9.00 (battery at 20%) I put it in charge, while it was off. Now, after EIGHT HOURS the battery it's just at 65%! Why???

10. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

Was it "off" (meaning "shutdown") or did you simply put it to sleep by pushing the button in the corner?

Now this is just a guess from a novice computer guy, but if you have auto updates on or you forgot that you were in the middle of a app download or something along those line that might have been running in the background, then that could be the issue.

In my short experience with this tablet I've found that charging with something working in the background will take much longer then charging with the tablet actually "shutdown". Anyway, that is just my guess.

I'd say don't jump to any conclusions or return it until you've charged it a few times and rebooted a few times to make sure it was some weird hang up with windows.

Good luck.