HP Omni 10 5600us screen protectors

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by rockhunter, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

Do any screen protectors work well on the Omni 10? The illumishield crystal clear worked poorly for me reducing touch sensitivity to a difficult to use level. Has anyone found a protector they have used with success?

Nobody is using a screen protector.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

Per HP advertisement: "The Omni 10's display is made with Gorilla Glass 3, which ensures improved durability and scratch protection, and is up to three times more damage resistant than Gorilla Glass 2"

I don't personally need a cover since I don't take it to the beach or areas where it might get scratched from dirt. For me the gorilla glass 3 works great with no scratches after 4 months and I don't feel the need to get one. Also, I'm also the only person to use it, so I take pretty good care of it. However, if I had little kids using my tablet then I'd probably get one. Everybody's needs are a little different, so I think it depends on the conditions and how you use it.

Good luck.

3. sebr

sebr Pen Pal - Newbie

Well to not use a screen protector is not a solution. Especially since many people not only use it for protection but also to prevent reflects of direct light (matte finish). I am (was) an owner of the Omni 10 from the very first beginning in November last year. I tried many different screen protectors - all with the same result: dramatically decreased sensitivity especially near the corners and border of the screen. Using Windows gestures (swiping) or closing windows ("x") in desktop mode becomes a pain in the a***. You have to tap like 10 times to get it recognized. Same problem with any stylus I have tried (even without screen protector) it is unusable.
    It is very likely that this is due to the Atmel XSense metal mesh technology which causes these limitations. You can even see the metal mesh from certain angles when you look at the screen while it's off. Bottom line is: the Omni 10 is unusable with screen protector or sytlus. You can only use your bare finger.
    I have debating this issue for many many weeks with the (slow and unprofessional) support from HP without any solution. Well how could it, if it's a design flaw. At least after escalating further the offered reimbursement now and my tablet has been picked up already some weeks ago.
    Besides the touchscreen, the Omni 10 has some more issues: extremely fragile charging connector with poor contact, low audio volume on speakers and headphones, poor placement of connectors, lack of accessories, slow internal card reader, lack of storage on SSD and the inability to boot from an external media except the genuine HP recovery media - thanks to HP's crippled BIOS.
    I am done with HP. My experience and adivse is clear: stay away from that device!

4. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

@sebr. Personally I don’t like matte covers because I think they slightly diminish the screen quality and I don’t take mine outdoors enough have ever considered one.

It sounds like you’ve had a terrible experience all around with the Omni, but I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I have read about many of the issues you described but many have not affected me or bothered me. Personally for me, the headphone volume may be slightly low but it’s adequate for me. I’ve used several different headphones and some are better than others. Speakers are tinny with little bass but the output volume is more than adequate for me. The touch in the corners is fine for me, I remember a couple times where I’ve had to do a few extra touches, but that’s it. Google sign out is an issue with win 8 but that’s a software thing. As for the placement of the connectors I just flip the device 180 and it takes care of that. The internal card reader speeds are at about 24mbps (per CDM) which is on par with an older 5400 rpm hard drive. For me, it’s the sd card reader speeds are adequate because where I care about speed is watching HD movies over my micro SD card. I’ve taken a few ripped movies on some trips so that I can watch them and it works great with no stutters . As for lack of storage, I knew what I was getting into when I bought this device but for those who need more a 64gb Omni is now available which is the way to go. As for the lack accessories and the wobbly charger connector, you’re absolutely correct. Even the accessories they do have like the folio cover aren’t ideal because it covers the ports. As for the bios issue and the HP recovery, I didn’t know about until after I bought mine, so that really sucks. Hope HP does the right thing if I ever need to cross that road.

At the time, I bought my Omni ($350), it was the best fit for my budget and needs. If I would have had additional $150 in my budget at that time, I would have bought the Atom series dell venue pro because of the better accessories and removable battery. I’m sure there are issues with the Venue pro as well but it seems like a better overall tablet. So far, I’m still happy with my Omni after 4+ months but if anyone consider buying one I’d say try one out at Office Depot or Microsoft store. If someone decides to get one, make sure you thoroughly test it out in the first couple weeks to make sure it doesn’t have some of the issues described above and to make sure it meets their needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.