HP Omni 10 5600us battery charging

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by rockhunter, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

I may have missed this in the User Guide but I don't see any kind of battery charging indicator, no led that goes out or changes color when charging is complete no screen display that shows charging status with the tablet off. What have people been doing?

2. Deltaman

Deltaman Pen Pal - Newbie

"I don't see any kind of battery charging indicator,..."

Shows on lock screen, login screen and notification are of taskbar (if you choose that option). I mostly navigate via Desctop & taskbar, so rarely inconvenienced by lack of light.You may get more responses by also posting your Q to HP WIN tablets forum:

Windows Tablets - HP Support Forum

3. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

The indicators you mention are only active when the Omni is on which greatly slows charging rate. The lock screen option you mention and putting the tablet to sleep is the closest to the passive indicators most other tablet have apparently.

4. Deltaman

Deltaman Pen Pal - Newbie

The only place I've missed an LED indicator, was when the AC adapter was connected, but the tablet wasn't detecting it; I didn't notice that 'til the next time I booted the following AM, and discovered that the charge had dropped to less than 50% and didn't recommence charging 'til I unplugged/reconnected the charger several times... Even under "normal" circumstances — the Omni does have a blind spot when powered off or in "active standby" if the adapter is connected but it isn't charging because the AC outlet is dead or the BIOS is being lazy. The lack of a charging LED on the Omni is a good example of a logic principle which states one bad decision can lead to a whole string of other bad decisions... Most portable devices with an LED charging indicator locate it close to the charging port; in this instance, that would put the light at the "bottom" of the tablet, with a 50~50 chance of being obscured by the Omni's L-shaped charging plug, so it's not much of a leap to guess that the Omni's desigh team decided — "Why bother?" That same "WTF" attitude probably contributed to designing the only 2 HP accessories for the Omni so that the Charging Stand only permits charging, and the Folio-Cover obscures the entire bottom edge — including the speakers... Geesh, what were they (not) thinking?

5. geohec

geohec Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like this unit has decent specs but was not well thought out in terms of design and lack of or bad accessories. Couldn't agree with you more about the charging stand and folio cover. Lucky for me I read a comment about the folio cover and stayed away. I bought the Targus 10.1 Kickstand which has an opening for 3 ports, so you can charge it with the cover on. I pretty much leave the cover on 24/7 because I'm paranoid that I'll drop it or someone else will. It uses stretchable straps on the corners which comes very close to bumping the sleep button and also sometimes slightly blocks the ear bud port but the straps are easily adjusted to avoid these items, so it works fine for me.

If you guys ever find an integrated aftermarket folio cover with slim keyboard that works with this unit and keeps the weight down to 2.5-3 pounds then please post. I'd be interest in that for sure.

So far, I've been pretty happy with this unit, but the only glitchy thing I've noticed is that it tends to lock up on the overnight charges (maybe 1 out of 10 times). I've heard others complain also but I was just curious about other peoples lock up rate. 1 out of X?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.