HP Limited Waranty Service Enhancement (Product Recall)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by starbai, Feb 26, 2009.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Why does everybody draw the parallel between the nvidia issue and these notebooks the nvidia issue was in their 8400-8700 cards, not the Go 6150

2. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Because, the defective chips also include previous gen MCP's which includes the Geforce Go 6150 & the nforce 430 chipset. It might also include the 7150M but I havent seen anyone complain about similar issues with those GPU's. All of the notebooks included in the recall have the same chipset(nforce 430) in common. Plus, from personal experience using one of the affected systems(Compaq V3019US which uses the same chipset(nforce 430)/GPU(Go 6150) as the tx1000/tx2000), I am pretty clear the overheating Nvidia GPU(idle at 75C & max out ~125C) + chipset(idle 60C & max out ~90C) resulted in the failure of the wlan and as you can see from the other symptoms all relate to the video failures. Its not just co-incidence that HP issued a repair-recall for products which shipped with nvidia chipset & GPU's and few months later Nvidia issued a statement regarding problems with 'previous generation GPU and MCP products'.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

so if it uses the same chipset as the recalled models or models being offered repair rather, why is that HP hasn't included the tx's in their list?

I admit that there is a problem, but it does seem very strange and underhanded how these companies are going about it, and there have been more than a few users here on the forum, who've experience hardware failures w/ these machines, as i've tried to compile here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. RaidenWoW

RaidenWoW Pen Pal - Newbie

IDK what you all are talking about but my Geforce 7600Go died in my dv9033cl (refurb from HP).

I've since stripped it and sold parts.

5. miner

Since when do large corporations do anything proactively? Only when enough people complain do they act on issues. It took HP couple of months to include the dv2000/v3000 series into that list. The recall originally only included the dv6000/dv9000 & compaq equivalents. Only back in jan/feb did they include the other two models. Will they include the tx's in that list...anybody's guess!

Atleast HP essentially extended the warranty to two years. Dell just issued a bios update to provide better cooling and washed their hands off the issue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. anton

anton Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you for responding - this is the pattern i keep seeing in other posts: initial wifi card replacement fixes the problem for a while, but then it comes back again and only motherboard replacement fixes it for good. this is why i am hesitant to spend $100 on a wifi card replacement.

please keep us posted if there are any developments.

7. miner

8. Coolpix

Coolpix Pen Pal - Newbie

What I knew about this nVidia issue, is that, HP have some updated BIOS for download. The update does nothing but turning on the fan to blow out more heat.

This was exactly what happened when I complained the over heating problem to a HP tech support in an online chatting. He suggested me to update my BIOS to correct the heat problem immediately after I raised my concern.

I don't want to link them together. But, the story from cnet.com is "HP: Nvidia graphics defect an issue since November 2007". Since the tx2000 has only 6 month life before being pulled off the market hurriedly, I have no other conclusion to draw but the tx2000 was effected by the nVidia issue somehow.

By the way, most of "tx25xx" owners got a laptop with "tx2000" print on the laptop. I don't believe it is hard to change them. It is simply HP ordered too much of them for tx2000, and had to finish them up.

9. anton

anton Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Nihility

Nihility Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx1320us with the burnt out wifi/mobo issue. My warranty is up in a few weeks so I called HP to get it replaced before I become completely screwed.
    I call tech support and boot up the laptop. The second the guy answers the phone the wifi card makes an appearance and starts working again. Hell.

If I send it in and it works for them they won't replace it.