HP Holiday Guide: TM2 under-hyped.

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by e-schreiber, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Just found HP's Holiday Guide in my mail. The TM2 is listed in bold as Touchsmart tm2 notebook and is priced at $850 (base model) with a 2 years warranty. HP does use the word "tablet" in the device's description, but I think they should have used the word tablet at the top, in place of the word "notebook". The picture on the guide is that classic (and boring) one that shows the monitor rotated towards the camera (below).

[​IMG]

I find it lame that, for HP, the tablet functionality is a mere afterthought -- even though there's so much talk about tablet devices nowadays. In my opinion, they should have shown the pen somewhere in the picture, or maybe a finger reaching for the screen. For many people browsing through this guide, the TM2 will appear to be just another plain vanilla laptop.

And I could not find any mention to the Slate 500. Maybe because this catalog was aimed at Home users.

2. Thom4s

Thom4s Scribbler - Standard Member

They probably have their reasons why they do what they do. I dont care much about their marketing or how much they sell as long as they just keep making these devices all is ok for me.

3. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

It's not only HP, pretty much every other tablet manufacturer has poor marketing for their tablet devices. They're under-hyped and advertising is absolutely zero.

Then Apple comes along and... you know :rolleyes:

4. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I think HP should be showcasing this device a bit more. At least call it a convertible tablet, and not just a tablet. "Tablet" just has the slate tablet conotation.

5. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

They could build it a bit better, too. Hard drive failures seem to be pretty common for this thing, and that's not the only issue.

6. shadowyani

shadowyani Pen Pal - Newbie

Its very unfortunate, but the reality is that we tablet PC users are far and few between. Outside of OneNote (my only reason for owning a tablet), tablet software is in its infancy. Even Windows sees tablet functionality as an afterthought; just look at all the users on this forum looking for more usability enhancements.

Even though the power of a full PC gives the TM2 an edge over iPad, a simple usability comparison makes it apparent that the TM2 was a product designed with touch and inking as an afterthought.

A tablet PC, as with any device, requires knowledge to unlock its full potential. However, unlike other tablet devices on the market, a true tablet PC has too much of a learning curve sell to a mass market that expects tablets to all be iPad easy (and expecting the TM2 to run iPad and Android 'apps').

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.