HP firmware update policy change

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Pianomanos, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

2. digisatman

digisatman Pen Pal - Newbie

Just another way to to makeup the profit margins, BYE BYE HP

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Does this apply to printers too?:eek:

4. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow...HP, you have done it. You have just put that last nail into your coffin. We have so many problems with the current firmware and if it takes you more than three years to resolve it, you will lose all of your customers. Good bye HP.

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I 'can' see if from two points of view...

View one, "Hello, I've just updated my firmware and it trashed x or y and you WILL replace the machine etc even though I've no warranty"
    View two, "We at HP are sick and tired of customer bull crap"

It is an odd thing to do but I'm thinking that HP are reducing ALL costs no matter what. Shame. Let's hope that HP releases machines without issues from this point forward. (Not likely)

P.s. I will now no longer be buying ANY HP machines and that's a shame as I used to REALLY like the Elitebook range.

6. HuckleBoo

HuckleBoo Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't be stupid, this is only valid for enterprise products like servers and storage devices.

Home user products and hopefully Elitebook notebooks as well are not in their scope.

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Really? This is from the Elitepad Driver Download support page right below the box asking for the s/n to check warranty status:

"Important note: HP ProLiant Server firmware access
    Starting February 2014, an active warranty or contract is required to access HP ProLiant Server firmware updates. View your existing contracts & warranties or get help linking contracts or warranties to your HP Support Center user profile. To obtain additional support coverage, please contact your local HP office, HP representative, or visit Contact HP. Click here for more information."

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Even it is for the Enterprise Products they're posting it in all of their Business Properties and Ed Bott is on a crusade to make sure the Twitterverse is aware of the policy change and his disdain for it... its another PR disaster for HP. This was their policy for the HP e3000 and 9000 series from the beginning.

9. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

So... if they push out a firmware update that introduces some problems (like the December Surface firmware MS pushed out), and your warranty expires before the next firmware update, you will have to make some phone calls to get that next update. I'm guessing they would make an exception in this case, if you were to push on them a little. Maybe that's a bad assumption.

[I'm still asking the question: am I misinterpreting this?]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

From a web search it sounds as though this is for firmware updates for the HP ProLiant Server. If it was a more general policy towards all devices I would have expected a more general statement. Time will tell but it sounds like this is targeted at ProLiant Server support only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.