HP Executive Pen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by krish, Jun 16, 2013.

1. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Most reviews I read on Amazon for the Executive and other pens mentioned using tin foil to fix sensor issues. Not saying that's the problem, only suggesting it as something to look into. Still, I wish I had my hands on a pen to test now that I have the 8.1 update for my Envy x2.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I found some info on the new MXTS200 "Rev 2" Pen. According to this it does not sound like there needs to be an update to the controller for the new pen to work. Maybe a 'firmware' update is needed and it is not planned to be released or something.

Also note that the list of symptoms for what goes wrong with 'other' active capacitive pens sounds like Atmel MXTS100, the Rev 1 pen!

Atmel Ships Second Generation maXStylus Active Pen Delivering Superior 'Pen-to-Paper' Writing Experience (NASDAQ:ATML)

Update: More info here:

http://atmelcorporation.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/atmel-ships-second-gen-maxstylus-active-pen/

"The new capacitive active stylus controller delivers a near-perfect ‘pen-to-paper’ writing experience on a touchscreen with superior responsiveness."

...and check out the new design model:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    RaymondPJR likes this.
  3. dceggert

It looks as though HP has a couple of place holders for the Gen 2 pen:

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/searchresults.aspx?store_id=16&search_id=38&dept_id=174

There is a HP Executive Tablet Gen2 Pen - #F3G73UT and a #F3G73AA listed with two different prices but one has an expected ship date and the other does not. It appears that it will be released soon now.

Update: the two part numbers are also showing up at all the major resellers so HP must be confident that this pen 'works' to be sending it out to the mainstream like this.

A quick note on the two numbers - the 'AA' is just being called the Gen2 Pen but the 'UT' is being called 'Smart Buy Gen 2 Pen' and is less money.

Update_1: Two estimated dates for the F3G73UT to arrive in stock at vendors; one 30-Jan and the other 6-Feb so it appears these should be available 'round the first or second week of Feb.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    RaymondPJR likes this.
  4. dceggert

HP has now added a note to the two new pens stating they are not compatible with the Revolve 810 G1. This means it will not work with the Elitepd 900 G1 either. This is unfortunate news.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

What about the Envy x2?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

RaymondPJR likes this.
  6. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been out of the loop as far as HP devices go for a while. Is the executive pen basically HPs equivalent to Dells synaptics stylus. Does it also incorporate palm rejection, pressure sensitivity, etc.? I'm just really looking for a note taking device (10+ inches) that could also serve as a digital creation/development machine in a pinch. I've pretty much avoided HP due to build quality issues in the past, but of this pen rivals Dell, an HP purchase may be in my future.

I assume this means that an Elitepad refresh must be coming at MWC maybe?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  7. dceggert

I have the Elitepad 900 G1 and besides the pen troubles I believe that this is the best 10.1" slate 'system', especially for the money. Now with that I need to qualify these statements:
    1. I bought my Elitepad used with a dock, expansion jacket, and aux battery for $400 off ebay. That is what I paid for my Motion LS800 when it was about 4 years old! Why so cheap? The pen issue I am guessing.
    2. With the unit in the Expansion Jacket I have 2 USB ports, SD slot, HDMI, and I use it all day and barely hit 50% battery levels.

Now, the pen issue... This is not an art machine so do not consider it if you want Wacom. However, I am on my third pen and, like the Dell Synaptics pen, not all pens are created equally. My first broke so I bought another. The second pen had the same symptoms as the early N-trig pens; skipping, not working at all, and needing to fiddle with the caps and tip to get through a sentence. The lines were horrible as well and handwriting recognition was so awful I considered the unit useless. Then I called HP Support and got my broken pen replaced... the next day! That is pen #3. Gone were all the issues with the other 2 pens. Now I can mark up PDF's, take notes, and draw sketches without all the drama. It works well enough now that I am in no hurry to replace the 900 G1.

There is an HP Elitepad 1000 G2 on the way and it will use this new pen. Atmel and HP are promising better accuracy, pressure sensitivity, and hover. As a note taker this 1000 G2 may be a serious contender now, especially based on mine with a good pen.

In the meantime, I have the best $400 10.1" 16:10 16 hour run time TabletPC available! I just wish the new pen would have worked with the 900 and extend its usefulness even longer.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  8. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

My problem with HP is that mobile phone's touch writing is MORE accurate than this ATMEL garbage. So embarrassing to show people the writing. Newer technology is supposed to get better, not get worse.

Wacom already had superior handwriting technology. It's more like ATMEL v2 is just catching up (if the accuracy is there).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    RaymondPJR likes this.
  9. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well... Yeah. I mean that's how technology works. You never get new technology perfect the first time. I'm just glad were starting to get alternatives.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

10. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Sheesh, has the concept of backwards compatibility suddenly been lost on vendors???? BTW, what MaxTouch controller is in the ElitePad and the Envy X2? Anyone know?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014