HP Executive Pen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by krish, Jun 16, 2013.

1. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

I updated my ElitePad to the RTM version of Windows 8.1 Pro and copied dceggert's text and drawing. I have absolutely no talent for drawing, which is why I always used drafting tools and later CAD during my first life as a mechanical/general engineer. But you can get the general idea that rendering of diagonal lines has improved. Pressure sensitivity has also improved and I noticed some application options dialog boxes now include a "pressure sensitivity" check box. They may have been there before and I never noticed them, so take it with a grain of salt.

Screenshot (4).jpg
    Screenshot (5).jpg

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Penname,
    Thank you so much. It looks as though Atmel has been working hard on a "fix" to be launched with 8.1. The improvement looks outstanding. Thanks again.

3. dceggert

By the way for future reference, using Sketchbook Starter in the Metro world the HP Executive Pen makes very smooth lines in every direction with Win 8. That tells us two things:
    1. it is not a hardware issue with the sensor grid at all
    2. it is certainly a software issue

So it may appear that there is a partial software fix comiing in 8.1.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Modern UI WinRT API has new ink and touch handling, heck I can get pressure sensitivity with my Adnoit Jot Pro on my RT in Fresh Paint or Sketchbook Express.

5. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Rats! I was hoping for something that would work just a little. Haven't been in here for a while because I stopped getting updates to my email. One came today out of the blue which is why I'm here. I hope the latest news is good for us too with the Envy X2. Can't wait for 8.1 to be ready although I have to re-install Windows 8 and maybe lose all my settings and content. Should have researched it more before taking the plunge. At least I made a backup to Windows 8.

6. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't agree with you on that part because I used the wacom pen (2740p) on windows 8 and it's fine so I don't believe it is a software thing unless you're referring to the amtel software.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think he means Atmel drivers.

8. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you write that with the old pen or the new R1 one?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. dceggert

R1 is printed after the name on the body.

10. dceggert

Here is an update on my experiences with the Elitepad 900 and the R1 pen after about 3 weeks of usage as my only machine.

I have updated my EP 900 to Win 8.1 and that in itself helped the pen performance greatly. On average, the inking in the TIP is 'acceptable'; this means that it is not as good as Wacom or N-trig, as is expected, but it works.

Now for the interesting part....sometimes waking from sleep the pen is nearly unusable. I like to keep my TabletPC's in sleep mode until I need them; then I wake them up, use what I need, then put them to sleep again. This helps extend battery life and the EP 900, together with the Expansion Sleeve Battery allows unbelievable run time.

A reboot will fix the intermittent pen issue but there is more. 'O's' sometimes collapse and look like straight lines, 'i's' turn into colons, and 'a's' look like u's. I say that this is sometimes because this is also correctable.

Some history; I have been living with the junk pens of the N-trig system from my days with the T580, Q550, and now the Q702. It has been 3 years. When the pen starts to act up on the N-trig system it begins to create stray vectors, incomplete letters, and sometimes becomes unresponsive entirely. When this started to happen on the EP 900 I immediately looked at the pen. Unscrewing the tip, unscrewing the pen body, and rubbing the battery connections on my jeans all would temporarily fix the N-trig pen and improve the inking experience and this is true for the Atmel pen as well. I can sit here and honestly report that with a fully working pen and no issues after waking from sleep, the inking in the TIP is on par with the N-trig system. Yes, on par.

The issue is there are two issues with the system that add together to lead to a less than stellar inking experience:

Issue 1 - digitizer issues waking from sleep. I have no idea what factors are involved or what is the culprit.

Issue 2 - the pen seems to suffer from contact issues similar to the N-trig pen. Unscrewing the tip and pulling the nib out and putting it back together as well as unscrewing the body and cleaning the battery contacts yields a temporary 'fix.'

So, in short, with Win 8.1 installed, a clean reboot, and the above cleaning procedure on the pen yields very good inking in the TIP. What, exactly, is causing the degredation is still a mystery but I will continue to look into it. The good news is that good inking in the TIP is possible; the bad news is the good inking is intermittent.

Update:
    I thought I would add an explanation. There are three clear performance modes:

Mode 1 - completely unusable inking in the TIP. This happens after waking from sleep and a reboot corrects it which is irritating. This is about 10% of the time.
    Mode 2 - 'acceptable' inking in the TIP. Not good and not real bad; just acceptable. This is the 'normal' and it is like this 90% of the time.
    Mode 3 - 'very good' inking on par with N-trig. This happens when the pen is cleaned from Mode 2.

As an aside, my pen button has never worked for right clicking and erasing.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013