HP Executive Pen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by krish, Jun 16, 2013.

1. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting! I will look in my own later to see if that is available, although it should be. I remember having a UEFI live tile which is no longer there after I did the 8.1 update. I'll get back to you tonight. My machine is the Envy X2 11-g012nr

2. RaymondPJR

I haven't had time to look at it and evaluate this yet, but if this method linked below does not work, we may be looking at a locked bootloader. Yikes!!!

UEFI Firmware Settings - Boot to from inside Windows 8

3. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

Getting the pen to work is straight forward. You will just need to install the latest Tablet Pen Update from hp.com for either Revolve or ElitePad depending on which device you have. The pen does not support the hover feature, as you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Rick

4. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

The X2, Elitepad, and Revolve use the same touch controller, however the ITO layers and touch grids are not the same, due to different panel sizes. Due to these differences the pen/touch FW for the Revolve and ElitePad are different and not interchangeable. Also, ElitePad or Revolve FW cannot be used on X2.

Rick

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Thank you Rick for clarifying that. Only hope then is that HP will come out with a pen and driver for x2.

6. RaymondPJR

And that, I am sure, will never happen! I don't think it's a question of it being possible or not, but rather that HP changed directions when the original pen did not work according to expectations. That's why they pulled the pen in the first place. I don't see them reversing themselves. If this were only an Android device, a we could root it and some developer could work it out. I still love this thing, however. I may try one of the capacitive pens if those have improved any. There is one called the "Jot Pro" or something like that which is not your standard sausage style stylus.

7. RaymondPJR

I think what you are saying is that the firmware package has those models listed in it so that when it's being unpacked for installation we will get a fail message whether or not secure boot is disabled.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I just read a post on the HP support forums that there is a new "R1" Executive Pen as of something like 2 weeks ago. I then tried to find it on the HP website and there are no pens listed as accessories for either the Elitepad or the Elitebook. I then did a search for it and it appears there is no 'Exective Pen', 'Tablet Pen', or 'Tablet Stylus' on the website any more! Has the Executive Tablet Pen disappeared again?

Update: Never mind, I found it by searching for #H4E45AA which then brings up - http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.aspx?mfg_partno=H4E45AA. Strange that searching for something other than the part number has no results. You also need to be executing the search from the Small and Medium Business site.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  9. RaymondPJR

I've seen a pen that looks like that one on Amazon.com. I wonder how well it works with the Envy. I'll wait for some feedback from someone else before jumping on it. I like the fact it does not have that thick sausage end on it which means you can write small characters with better accuracy.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It doesn't, that is the one I've been using. You can select, and double tap icons, but inking doesn't work. Actually it is horrible, like a golfer with yips.