HP Executive Pen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by krish, Jun 16, 2013.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks for that! I have the same question as RaymondPJR though: could you find this out for sure? I know I added the Envy X2 in my 'tablets with digitizer' list because it was originally promoted as such. Can you check if HP has officially given up on that or if the hardware no longer (?!) supports the pen? I'm still confused on that one.

2. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Since my last post, I found two more drivers, both for the HP Elite Pad 900 G1. I don't know if this is the exact same model as spoken of here because of the crazy naming conventions that are so similar. The first one was released on the 8th of May and the one that supersedes it was released on the 22nd of August. Evidently, Atmel hasn't given up of its hardware yet. I've noticed in the installation instructions it says to disable 'secure boot'. Wonder why no one has mentioned that before. I'll post links and screenshots tomorrow, it late where I am.

3. RaymondPJR

Here are the screenshots I made last night. I'll look for the website again and link it here. So, what I'm thinking is that since the ElitePad and the Envy X2 are identical internally, this would work for the Envy also, provided we can get someone to confirm that HP didn't pull the digitizer on later models when they decided to give up on the pen for this model. Does anyone know how the digitizer is listed in 'Hardware'? Would it just be bundled with the display and not show up separately?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...122103-1&prodNameId=5298030&taskId=135&mode=3

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Over in the "Envy X2 Stylus" thread (or something along those lines) an X2 user purchased the Executive Pen and it did not work with the unit. The driver package for the 900 was tried and it would not install since it was the wrong machine.

During the release of the Revolve the corporate suits rolled out that the Envy X2, Elitepad 900, and the Elitebook Revolve all use the same Atmel digitizer and would therefore use the Executive Pen. Apparently the driver for the X2 has not been released yet.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I assume you are referring to my post. My problem was that I could not figure out how to disable Secure Boot (or something to that effect) so I just installed using the normal procedure. After doing that install the screen would not recognize the Executive Pen at all. However, when I did a Restore, the pen again was recognized as a "control" device (that is I can double tap on icons and open the program) but not really as an input device. Perhaps if I could figure out how to disable Secure Boot, I could make another attempt.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Could someone help me figure out the current status? Based on Rick's statement

can I assume that getting these two devices to work with the pen is straightforward?

In other words, is it safe to assume that:
    a. it's easy to buy the pen, and
    b. with the pen, it's easy to get the drivers to work and to use the pen basically as a Wacom pen?

Are there Youtube videos of this working reasonably well? I think 'no hover' was mentioned, correct? Sorry for not going on a google rampage, I'm hoping someone has this info ready. I certainly don't!

Edit: the OP was able to get this to work with the revolve, but is this an easy process for any user, or a stroke of luck / alignment of the planets?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. RaymondPJR

What I was thinking is that person maybe didn't disable "secure boot", I don't think he mentioned that. But I do agree that maybe if ElitePad is in the package, perhaps it may not install. I'm not sure.

If that was you, then that part of the question is answered. The other part is too, instructions are in two of those screenshots above on how to disable secure boot or alternately they should be found by a Google Search of "Disable Secure Boot in Windows 8 or 8.1-or you could read them directly by going to that webpage where the driver is downloaded, it's under "Installation Instructions" tab. I hope you try this and let us know.

8. RaymondPJR

BTW, I looked at the literature that came with the unit last night (I never did that, just started playing with the machine, lol). I found no mention at all of a digitizer or a pen. Looks like HP covered their butts really good on that part.:rolleyes:

9. RaymondPJR

I do not believe that getting the pen is easy, but you can certainly try Amazon or HP. If you look just a few posts above, you will see a driver for the ElitePad. Theoretically, if it will install it should work as the ElitePad and the Envy X2 are identical internally. All the info you need is in the driver download website linked in that post.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Those instructions talked about HP Bios in Control Panel,that option is not available on my machine.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4