HP Executive Pen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by krish, Jun 16, 2013.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

No, it is not as silent as a soft-tipped Wacom pen but it is less than the N-trig v3.5. You do not have the old "BIC" pen noise with it, it is more like using a good rollerball on an empty cereal box....if that makes any sense. The 'pick, pick, pick' noise is more of a deeper tone at a lower volume. Not intrusive but not silent either...

2. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for that. I am glad I got the T904. While the new pen is improved, it does not compare to wacom. That "matchstick" writing would have done my head in.

3. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Mhhh, I have to agree with this one, too. While it certainly looks like it has improved over the first version I cannot really say that in terms of sketching compared to the N-Trig. Lines still do look more straight and controlled than with the box sketched with the Atmel pen. Don't get me wrong, it is better, but not on par with N-Trig...

4. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

After the disaster with the G1, I wonder how the elitebook revolve G2 is doing in sales? HP made the biggest mistake by switching to atmel and selling it as is for the G1 pens. Clearly no one did writing testing for quality checking.

5. dceggert

Day 42 with the Elitepad 1000 with heavy inkling on almost every day. The pen appeared to become somewhat sluggish and unresponsive last night so I pulled the battery and checked it; 1.225v still. So I put it back in and rebooted the machine and that took care of the digitizer issues.

By the way, I usually just hit the power button and put the machine to sleep. I do this for days and only reboot when there is an update or an issue. This time it was a digitizer issue. 1.2v on the pen battery puts it at about 40% used so it appears I use about 1% of the battery a day with heavy use! Not too bad....

Edit: correction; 1.51v for new and .93v for end of life (estmated) yields .58v range of use. 1.51v-1.225v=.29v. .29v/.58v puts me at 50% battery used as of today.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  6. dceggert

Status Update: the original battery in my G2 pen died this morning during a meeting while I was taking notes. The failure was that the pen still showed the dot while hovering but taps were unresponsive. I then went into my routine originally developed on my N-trig pens; unscrewing the barrel and waiting for a few seconds and then putting the pen back together. Same failure result. I then changed the battery and the pen came back to life. So, the data is:

- battery voltage was 1.134v; quite a bit more than the .93v of the G1 pen before it became unresponsive.
    - 49 straight days of heavy inking at work, extra-curricular activities, and at home (I do not use a keyboard and all my use with the EP1000 is with a pen).
    - new battery is 1.580v.

7. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

This (emphasis mine) is what keeps people firmly in the Wacom battery-less camp: the possibility of failure at the worst possible times.

Thanks for the updates though.

8. dceggert

It isn't an issue for me...I lived through the N-trig bad years and then the Atmel G1. At least with the Atmel HP pen it uses an AAA which I keep in my book bag. I just need to make sure I recognize the symptoms as the actual change to the battery is about 2 seconds.

9. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I should have said "people like me" :eek:-

Being relatively new to tablets, and inking for that matter, (having only used Wacom on the Ativ 500t and dabbling with resisting styli before that) the last description for my reaction to a failing pen would have been "calm". For sure, I would not likely have had a spare battery - in a meeting no less.

I can't help thinking that if penabled Win8 devices have to get the appreciation that they deserve and mainstream acceptance; they have to be as idiot-proof as possible. Never mind that Win8 devices can literally cater to every single need that exists in the market in one or another. I've managed all my personal use of the 500t without keyboard or mouse for the better part of two years, because it has been a "set it and forget it" proposition.

10. dceggert

You are so correct on this. I have gone through a lot with these things already but if there is any takeaway it is that the TabletPC in its present incarnation requires way too much fiddling to work consistantly. From funky pens to even Wacom digitizers that stop working, software that does not load correctly, devices that stop working due to driver issues, Windows updates that break something, and even disk read/write times that are not where they are supposed to be, there is a lot of room for improvement. In a lot of these cases Windows RT fixes some of these issues but at the expense of even having the feature in the first place. The "PC" is still requiring too much fiddling to be a reliable tool. If I had to fiddle or maintain my adjustable wrench to get it to work every time as much as I do my TabletPC I would get rid of it for sure.