HP Executive Pen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by krish, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

This is the same setup the Galaxy Note 10.1 had where it used Atmel as the touch layer and Wacom as the pen layer. I have been toying with the idea of integrating the system into my Elitepad 900 and have even obtained a donor device. Still trying to figure out how to integrate it into the Elitepad USB system and provide the proper power. The BT module runs on 3.5v and that would be the source but have not had the time to open both cases and start wiring yet.

By the way the first Atmel MaxStylus that I know about was with the Motorola XOOM and I bought one of the pens; it is horrible on the Elitepad and makes the HP Atmel pen look like a dream device... So, the Elitepad is definitely v2 and not v1 as previously thought. The new G2 pen is v3.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It will be interesting to see who improved its next generation more, Synaptics on the Dell or Atmel on the HP.

3. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If they can get enough of an improvement, we'll start to see some solid competition for mote takers. It can only be good on the long term.

Next step, rattle Wacom in the art market so they are forced to kore competitive prices.

4. Rebeljuice

Rebeljuice Pen Pal - Newbie

Were't Microsoft working on their own pen technology? Something to do with detecting pixels on a screen to determine the location of the pen? What happened to that?

5. dceggert

This new generation Atmel technology (v3 I call it) is there now; it takes notes, sketches, and works a bit better than N-trig v3.5 in my Q702. What is better is that the line is a bit heavier in the TIP or in OneNote than a comparible setting with the N-trig system, better for note taking. There are no longer any jagged lines in the digonals, no strange artifacts or curls, no stray vectors, and it works accurate on all edges and in all corners. I have no clue what the pressure resolution looks like but pressure works in the drawing programs. So, based on my use of the T731 (Wacom), Q550 and Q702 (N-trig), Venue 8 Pro (Synaptics), and now the Elitepad 1000 (Atmel v3) I rank them as follows:

Scale 1-10 (I know, not very computer of me...it is a subjective scale) where 1 is terrible and 10 is beautiful:

Wacom - 8 - The Good - the pressure capabilities for art, no battery in the pen, good overall performance, nothing to go wrong in the pen; The Bad - screen graininess, digitizer under the LCD giving a degree of 'depth' when you use it, inacuracies on the edges and in the corners.

Atmel v3 - 8 - The Good - pressure works great for note taking and sketching and may work well enough for art use as well but we will not know until someone tries it, good overall performance, inking is smooth and looks good, screen looks outstanding, accuracy is good everywhere on the screen; The Bad - battery in the pen but it is at least a AAA size, Atmel v2 pens had long term issues with internal corrosion (the durability of the v3 pen is TBD but there were significant internal changes).

N-trig v3.5 - 7 - The Good - pressure works but has been rejected for art use, good overall performance but the inking lines are smaller than Wacom and/or Atmel v3, durability has been proven to be much improved over N-trig v2, long battery life in the pen, screen looks good, accuracy is good at the edges and in the corners; The Bad - AAAA battery in the pen (expensive and not on every battery tree at the corner store), tapping noise is louder than Atmel v3 or Wacom.

Synaptics v1 (based on my A01 Feb 2014 pen on my Venue 8 Pro) - 5 - The Good - pressure works for note taking and sketching but is likely to not be good for art work due to inking variabilities and other inking issues, not as good overall performance due to wide variabilities in reported quality, inking lines are heavier than Wacom and/or Atmel v3, screen looks great, accuracy is good at the edges and in the corners; The Bad - AAAA battery in the pen (expensive and not on every battery tree at the corner store), connection issues inside require constant fiddling to keep the pen workng. As a proof of concept this system may be good with a new pen design but a better pen is not yet available.

Atmel v2 - 3 - The Good - works for limited inking and makes a good mouse replacement while mobile, screen looks great; The Bad - inking variability and corrosion issues inside the pen make this not recommended for anything other than basic note taking.

Two additional observations; if Synaptics makes as much of a stride with v2 when it comes out as Atmel made v2 t0 v3 then it will be a great alternative. Also, if the long term durability and battery life of the Atmel v3 is as good as the N-trig v3.5 then this system may move to a '9'! Am I kidding? No, I am not! The only unknown about the Atmel v3 so far is the art potential. Once that moves into the light we should see a new bunch of reviews.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    2.0™ likes this.
  6. dceggert

1. I have not found any programs yet where the new G2 pen does not work.

2. I am now on day 23 of my usual heavy inking. The last voltage check on my battery was about at day 15 and it was still 1.45v. This is with no special consideration to save battery power like not keeping the pen near the device or unscrewing the barrel to turn the pen off. I plan to use it until it turns off and note the days. When it does need a battery it takes a AAA which can be obtained anywhere.

3. I use the expansion sleeve with the aux battery exclusively. The 20 hour estimate is pretty accurate. My machine goes nearly all day between work and after-hours organization work. It also becomes my 'sit in my easy chair' device. When I go to bed it rarely is down to 50% charge which means it ran on the aux battery all day.

Waiting is always an option but there is always something else coming so in the Fall there is CES to wait for as well. It all depends on what you personally desire. Good luck!

7. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

dceggert

Are you able to show some writing samples on one note? Can you free hand some shapes and handwriting/printing?

8. dceggert

I will go back and update my graphic I did showing the differences between Wacom, N-trig, and Atmel v2 and post it up here when I can. Stay tuned!

Edit: correction, it is N-trig on my Q702 vs. Atmel v2 on my Elitepad 900 before and after the Win 8.1 update. I will now add the Elitepad 1000 Atmel v3 as a comparison.

Okay, here is an extension of earlier graphics with Elitepad 1000 inking added.

The first is just simple notes:

[​IMG]

This is an example of a simple sketch (Note: OneNote pressure sensitivity is turned off):

[​IMG]

Here is the big picture (literally)....and it shows the bulk of the improvement over the Atmel v2 on the Elitepad 900:

[​IMG]

The diagonals are now smooth which, in my opinion, was the root cause source of the inking issues with the older tech. The smoothness is now on par with the N-trig lines in these diagonals which translates into better letters, better graphics, and better annotations. Also to note is the degree of control of line placement as demonstrated by the smaller writing in green above. I have not tried this with N-trig or Wacom but this is a level of control I have not enjoyed in quite some time.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    2.0™ likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Does the executive pen still make the same kind of writing noise that the hard tipped N-Trig did (even v3.5)? I have a soft tip on the S10 eraser pen that I use on my M80TA. With a matt SP and the soft tip pen, I can write as quietly as with a roller ball or felt tip ink pen on paper. The feel and the quietness of this pen on this tablet is exactly what I have been searching for since I purchased my Slate 500. I find that I use my notebook more now in places that I would not have used it before due to the noise. The sound/feel of the Wacom, along with the size and weight of this tablet, is what is keeping me using this M80TA even with its obvious design and construction flaws.

10. dceggert

No, it is not as silent as a soft-tipped Wacom pen but it is less than the N-trig v3.5. You do not have the old "BIC" pen noise with it, it is more like using a good rollerball on an empty cereal box....if that makes any sense. The 'pick, pick, pick' noise is more of a deeper tone at a lower volume. Not intrusive but not silent either...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.