HP Executive Pen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by krish, Jun 16, 2013.

1. krish

krish Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I have had the chance to use the HP Executive Pen on a HP Revolve 810 for the last week or so.

I'm running WIndows 8 x64 and the first thing I did was update the firmware & drivers to the latest version from the HP Revolve site (including the May 8 update of the Atmel firmware).

I must say, the performance of the pen on the laptop leaves a lot to be desired. Ignoring the not so handy part of having to press the pen against the screen to engage it, the pen itself performs so badly in pen-enabled applications like OneNote/Word.

Palm rejection works sporadically, with often marks being left as a result of the palm or the page zooming in or out.

But the most disappointing part is how the pen itself works. I mean, I don't have a great handwriting, but the pen absolutely destroyed it. Alphabets in words either half-drawn or completely missing, the pen messes with your handwriting that even attempting to write in a larger handwriting font makes some alphabets appear larger than others.

I thought it might be me, but I had a chance to try the pen on the Surface Pro and another pen on a Lenovo tablet, and these felt and responded in OneNote & Word so much better. My handwriting was almost as it is on paper, the pen glided across the screen and things appeared to be so much better.

I am curious as to others' experiences.

I don't know if the issue is in the pen/digitizer/firmware and I am assuming the Elitepad 900 performs more or less the same as a Revolve 810 - given they use the same digitizer and pen.

Think HP will attempt to solve this problem? Or is this the best I can expect?

Regards,

-krish

PS: Calibrating the pen made no difference; and calibrating using additional points made the pen more accurate when selecting items on the screen, but had no effect on the issues I mention above.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm sure Atmel will attempt to improve performance but I would not expect too much. We had similar issues with early versions of the N-Trig hardware on the Slate 500 which were never really corrected by HP or N-Trig.

3. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

I will contact you offline...Update: If you update your profile to allow receiving private messages, I will send you a message and help you with your pen concerns.

We will have a new Atmel F/W release out within the next couple weeks. Will keep you posted.

There is was also a new touch driver released by Microsoft last week.

Rick

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. krish

krish Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your prompt response. You can send me a private message ... and I definitely appreciate your offer to help out personally.

I do have the latest Windows Update ... but don't see any Touch Driver in my list of installed programs/Windows Updates.

Regards,

-krish

5. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

Krish, I get a message that states that I can't send you a private message. You may need to have a minimum number of post or something before PM works. You can send an email to HPSlate500@hp.com if you like

Rick

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I get a message that states that I can't send you a private message...>>

...That is correct. Until they reach a post count of 5, all newbies are subject to moderation and restricted privileges (PMs and hotlinks). Member krish still has a little ways to go...

7. krish

krish Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Rick,

I just sent you an email to the HPSlate500 address you provided.

Let's stay in contact about this ... :)

Regards,

-krish

8. invisik

invisik Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I'm also getting about the same results. I did have a Surface Pro for a short time and the HP setup leaves a lot to be desired. My pen's battery dies in about a week or so with only an hour or so of use. I got an Energizer Lithium battery for it today but I may start storing the pen slightly unscrewed so the battery doesn't make contact.

I will check again this week for more updates and watch this forum for more info.

Thanks.

-m

9. invisik

invisik Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI I didn't have any updates waiting and I had been storing the pen upside down in my pen holder so the tip wouldn't touch. Thanks.

10. krish

krish Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't had the chance to test the battery life on the pen.

I've only had it for a little over a week, and haven't used it intensively - primarily because of the poor experience. It has been a difficult and frustrating path so far ...

Rick (HP Program Manager) did mention an Atmel firmware update (the digitizer) was in the works and should be out soon.

So I am curious what kind of improvements that update will bring. We'll find out.

To be continued ...

-krish