HP Envy x360 (AMD) or Lenovo Yoga 730?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Lookasso, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lookasso

Lookasso Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear ones, I'm a backpacker and I need a 2 in 1, which I'll use mostly to write a blog, eventually uploading some audio and video interviews, and posting pictures in Instagram. I'll also take handwritten notes with it. And I may play around with Ableton to make some music, nothing professional though.

So, the important things for me are:

• silent fan and no coil whine

• a nice and silent keyboard (I've tried Envy and Spectre in a shop. The Spectre had a plastic feeling and was too noisy when typing. The envy was nice and quiet. Couldn't try the 730 yet...)

• enough graphic power for simple photo and video edit. I'm new to that, so unfortunately totally unable to understand if the Intel 620 would be enough.

• best possible pen support for notes. In my understanding the Wacom AES of Lenovo will generally be better than the N-TRIG of HP. But considering that I'll mostly take notes and only occasionally draw, and that as far as I know One Note ignores any other input than the pen (solving any palm rejection issue), I wonder if N-TRIG will be enough for me. Besides, the optional HP Tilt Pen seems nice for the Tilt function and for the presentation mode able to recognize movements in the air.
    • a bright display, for comfortable outdoor use. I've been told that the FHD display of the Envy should have 300 nits, like the Yoga 730. But who knows. Maybe someone here knows if one of the two is brighter?
    • Anti glare. The 730 should be but isn't. The Envy has the option but I've no idea if it's really anti glare. I wonder if using an anti glare protector is as good as having a natively anti glare display?
    • a display with decent colors palette for reasonably reliable photo editing would be nice. The 730 seems to be just decent. For the Envy I've found no info.

• a fast SSD. I like when things open immediately and copying is fast.

• lightest as possible. The 730 wins for 100-150 grams, which is not much, therefore I'm ok with the Envy if it would be the best option overall. Difficult to know, though, how heavy are their chargers...

• decent battery life and fast charging. I believe they are similar in this.
    I can get any of them with the config of 16gb ram and 512gb ssd at same price. The thing which irritates me is that for the Envy at the moment I'm forced to choose between Ryzen 5 with 16 ram or Ryzen 7 with 8 ram. With the 730 i can have i7 with 16 ram.
    Having the i7 may be interesting for some things in the future. But I can't really understand if having the i7 may be more important than the better gpu of the Ryzen.

The HP is better for the option of Sure View (privacy mode), tilt pen, and look.

The touchpad is better on yoga but honestly with a touch screen I don't use the touchpad much.

I've never used thunderbolt so I'm not sure if I need it. Probably i can't connect 2 monitors on the envy. But I don't think I'll anytime soon need to.

I couldn't find enough info about how the battery life compares in the two.

Basically I'm stuck. Help!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. Lookasso

Some help... I'm a bit nervous because HP is discounting the Envy and I don't know how long yet...

3. Lookasso

Thanks. Do you specifically refer to feedbacks you have on this particular model? If so, could you please share the source? I'd like to read the whole review...
    Or you mean that all HP always overheat and are all always noisy?

4. beansquad

beansquad Pen Pal - Newbie

I was also considering the Envy since the price and specs are very good. But according to reviews and random discussions I've seen on reddit, the battery life is not great and the display is not very colour accurate (if I remember correctly it's around 60-70% sRGB) for the intel version. Both the battery and colours are even worse on the AMD version apparently. Weak hinges are something I've seen mentioned quite a lot also.
    I personally will be going for the Yoga 730. However, you should search reddit for the envy x360 and read the opinions of people who own it, since there are hardly any official reviews.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.