HP ENVY x360 15 (2017): 15.6" UHD, N-Trig, Intel or AMD - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by stormi, May 28, 2017.

1. dragontamer

dragontamer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hothardware is out first with a review of the Envy x360, although its more about a review of the Ryzen 5 2500U (focusing on the CPU and GPU benchmarks specifically)

I'm curious how their VLC setup was done. I personally don't like video loop tests because so much of it depends on hardware drivers and software configuration... so its an easy thing to get wrong. I think other websites which use a "web browser test" is way better and more accurate indicator of battery life for most people.

2. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thoughts on RAM, HD, and SSD being upgradeable on HP store version like the Best Buy variant. I’m a little nervous now.

3. dragontamer

New review. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Our-f...Intel-has-every-reason-to-worry.266618.0.html

The power tests in this one show significantly better power-usage than the previous review. I wonder what the difference in testing methodology is...

In any case, the raw benchmarks of the Ryzen 5 2500U are quite impressive. It matches the Intel i5-8550U in speed and efficiency, but absolutely crushes it in light-weight video game tasks... and is cheaper to boot.

I want to know why the first review got such bad battery life figures however. Its likely that the video drivers of the AMD chip aren't as mature and maybe are worse when running in VLC. I guess more reviews will make the picture more clear. VLC Video playback might just be a weak point in the current software stack (maybe other programs would work better on this laptop??)

dellaster likes this.
  4. dragontamer

And another review, from one of my favorite websites: https://techreport.com/review/32877/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-apu-reviewed

This is a review of the Ryzen 5 2500U more specifically. But there's a number of side comments about the HP x360 system that people might find relevant. Techreport says they see clear signs of dithering in the screen (and also confirm the low brightness in the screen that other reviewers are talking about). I agree that a hard-drive in a system like this is an utter travesty, but its pretty easy to swap out the hard drive for an SSD on the HP Page.

It seems like TechReport really likes the sound system, since they went out of their way to complement the sound performance. The weakest part of the x360 in all of these reviews is constantly the screen: low quality and low brightness.

The Ryzen 5 2500U is the best iGPU for gaming, although the NVidia MX150 is still way ahead of it and is also offered on $700ish laptops. If anyone does care about gaming a lot, the MX150 needs to be on your radar.

--------------

According to this TechReport review, "Rocket League" at 720p / 60fps works reasonably well with this Laptop. More graphically intense games (like Doom or the Witcher3) run at a much slower 720p / 30fps. Which is a poor experience but playable.

[​IMG]

In contrast, the Intel 620 is clearly unplayable on these higher-end games. Even at 720p with settings turned low.

Honestly, I'm curious if my games would run well on it: Cuphead, Touhou, Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusions. Considering the graphical fidelity of Witcher3, I think the games I play should have no trouble.

This isn't a gaming beast by any stretch of the imagination, but it gets within 20% of the MX150, so its definitely worth a consideration if anyone does actually want to game but not spend thousands extra on a "real" card (like a GTX 1050)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  5. dragontamer

Do NOT buy from HP's online store.

My laptop arrived yesterday, and its completely broken. It simply doesn't boot at all. The power button does absolutely nothing.

HP won't exchange my laptop either, because I customized it to the SSD option. Apparently, HP online-store policy is that customized laptops need to go through a refund / new purchase. The price of the laptop has changed since the Thanksgiving sales week, so now they expect me to pay the non-sales price to fix this issue.

After spending around 30 minutes waiting on the phone, the service rep's best offer was to take $80 off the new, much higher price, for the hassle. That's no where close to the original price that I bought the laptop at.

This is ridiculous and anti-consumer. Beware the customer service of HP's online store. I understand that mistakes happen (like shipping a broken computer), but I expect that customer service should do what they can to make it right. I'm taking the full refund but this whole episode has left an awful taste in my mouth with regards to HP Online customer support.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017