HP ENVY x360 15 (2017): 15.6" UHD, N-Trig, Intel or AMD - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by stormi, May 28, 2017.

1. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG]
    Together with the Spectre x2 (2017), HP also anounced the HP ENVY x360 15 (2017).
    It can be equipped with either Intel Core i5/i7 or with AMD A9, A12 and FX processors and features an N-Trig digitizer. That should make this the first penabled AMD device since how long?!

Here are the main specs:
    • CPU: Intel Core i5/i7 or AMD A9/A12/FX
    • GPU: optional NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    • 15.6" 3840×2160 or 1920×1080 (16:9)
    • 16 GB RAM
    • 1 TB HDD
    • N-Trig
    • FHD IR webcam
    • 2*USB 3.0, 1*USB-C 3.0 + Display-out, HDMI 2.0, full-size SD
    • 4.55 lbs
    • 19.6 mm
    • Starting at $750 (AMD CPU) / $900 (Intel CPU)

Press release: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/press-release.html?id=2463023
    Product page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/envyx360/overview.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Looks nice but heavy.

3. misterd

misterd Pen Pal - Newbie

Seriously considering pulling the trigger on this. My Acer Aspire R7 has served me well, but I have always had good luck with HP. I mostly use it for teaching (and use a surface 3 for giving notes or doing work while moving about the class), so it does not need to be a workhorse. HP is trying to sell me on the Spectre, but I don't see any reason to invest the extra $400 or so.

4. dragontamer

dragontamer Pen Pal - Newbie

The Ryzen 5 2500U model just came out for any AMD fans out there.

The benchmarks for AMD's Ryzen CPU looks pretty good from the desktop side, but there don't seem to be 3rd party benchmarks for the laptop version quite yet. I'm personally going to be waiting for 3rd party / independent benchmarks... but most likely I'm going to be buying this system.

It has several niches that I want: Large keyboard with numpad, Active Stylus, SSD option, AMD's iGPU (which has always been "decent" for low-end / budget gaming), Dual-channel RAM.

5. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, with AMD Ryzen this model is even more interesting now. It's just a shame that they still only offer the UHD-display on Intel variants...

6. dragontamer

I went to Best Buy today to test out the Envy x360, and it seems like its still affected by the ~1 to ~2 second "liftoff" bug. See this youtube video for details:

I tested this exact model: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...-drive-natural-silver/6082000.p?skuId=6082000

SKU: 6082000
    Model: 15M-BP112DX

Intel i7 8550U

Which is Coffee Lake, which was only released in October 2017. So this should be representative of the "latest tech" (aside from Ryzen) for this laptop.

I tested it with a Wacom Ink (the "Universal" Pen). I'll say that the writing experience itself was extraordinary (responsiveness of the pen, ignoring capacitive touch from my fingers), but the "disable touch bug" is DEFINITELY there, just like from the Spectre x360 from a few months ago (see Youtube video).

It seems like a flaw I'm willing to live with, but I'm still somewhat disappointed. The Surface Pro doesn't have that problem, and it seems sad that this is an issue on an otherwise pretty nice laptop.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  7. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone purchased one yet, and can give a mini-review?

8. dragontamer

I haven't yet. But there are a few reviews on Reddit. These are all relevant to the AMD Ryzen R5 2500U model, which is the one I am particularly interested in.

http://apusilicon.com/hp-envy-x360-w-ryzen-first-impressions/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7doxuy/the_2500u_hp_envy_x360_is_fully_upgradable/
    http://apusilicon.com/hp-envy-x360-internals/

The iGPU of the Ryzen R5 seems good enough to handle a variety of games at 720p / 30fps or so (Bayonetta, Guild Wars, Resident Evil). The CPU is roughly on the order of the Intel i5-8xxxU series, although it seems like thermal constraints grossly affect the benchmarks. CPU speeds seem to vary as much as +/-30% or so depending on temperature conditions (as is common with these 15W laptop designs).

The more adventuring users who are willing to rip open the case finds that the internals are somewhat accessible: the SATA Port, M.2 Port, and DDR4 sticks can all be replaced. (Although you'll likely void your warranty if you do so). I don't have the tools to clone a M.2 drive however. I personally will probably buy a M.2 model AMD Ryzen R5 Envy x360 and then add on a 1tb SSD into the SATA port.

Marty likes this.
  9. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you look at the comments in that YouTube video the problem was fixed in a firmware update. Hopefully, that will happen for this model.

Well I went for the AMD. First Windows tablet since the Surface Pro 2. Any stylus recommendations? Best?

10. dragontamer

I tested the "Wacom Bamboo Ink", which is a "Universal Pen" (Aka: N-Trig compatible). The Bamboo Ink seems a bit complicated to use, since it can be put into Wacom-AES mode or into N-Trig (Microsoft Pen Protocol) mode.

You have to push a little button on the side to switch between AES mode and N-Trig mode.

Its slightly triangular, has a AAAA battery, side-buttons, replacable Nib, $79.95 MSRP right now, I think I've seen it as low as $69.99 sometimes. The Best Buy employees managed to pair it with the x360 Envy (at least, the Intel Model I was testing). I didn't feel anything wrong with it, aside from the "2-second delay after liftoff" bug that I was talking about earlier (which is likely related to the tablet, and not the stylus)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2017 at 8:07 PM