HP Envy x2, WOA, SD835 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by JoeS, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Marty likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Bronsky likes this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1000 $ for that. And sold out. Congratulation.

5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First unboxing

JoeS and dellaster like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks like emulation for win32 programs needs a lot of work—I wonder if the pen lags like crazy in desktop OneNote? He says it's for a "Road Warrior" with its exceptionally long battery life on Windows store apps. In other words, for a journalist who travels. So we might see some excellent reviews from all these Tech magazines since it's going to hit the sweet spot for the people doing the reviews. ;)

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another review, though the way this guy speaks for the camera is kind of annoying.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, that AMDtech review isn't quite right. He says it runs x86 programs fine and where you run into trouble is with x64 program performance. Windows 10 on ARM does not run what people commonly refer to as x64 (AMD64) programs at all. It is entirely incapable of running those. It's a matter of performance (and graphics APIs for some things), not an x64 vs x86 thing.

For the full list to my knowledge, W10 ARM runs in ARM64 mode. Store apps are currently only compiled for ARM32 (though they're working on ARM64 support). Edge is also (at the last point Microsoft spoke about it at least) ARM32. This will run emulation for x86 programs, but not x86-64 / AMD64 programs. Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office on this will be running x86 for full addon capabilities.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Understatement of the year.. :confused:

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Small point: The price of this - and the few other "maiden" WOA devices is, well, a marketing exercise, nothing more. They want to sell enough of them to find out how much to sell them for! I feel comfortable predicting that, after the novelty wears off and the early bugs are fixed, these devices will find plenty of early adopter buyers as long as they are as functional as say, a "high end" chromebook - ie, Samsung Chromebook Pro. Double the battery life and provide always/instant LTE and add some Windows apps (and these users - hint: road warriors - don't care what OS they are using, just what they can get done) and the value proposition gets larger, 2-5X larger, though the price will have to go in the opposite direction.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I suspect part of the reason quantities are so limited for this too is that it's already a generation old.

I mean, the first step that Microsoft absolutely needs to make happen for any chance of success is they need to get in sync with Qualcomm's release schedule. The fact you can buy a S9 with SD845 before you can buy a Windows laptop with SD835 is a huge problem. I wouldn't be surprised if HP is hedging their bets just slightly based on that.

On top of that, it's clear that while this is a nice first step, Microsoft (and third-party developers) need to get more things natively compiled for ARM for this to be successful. And also, while I don't expect it to ever happen, if Google was to compile Chrome for Windows 10 ARM, that'd be huge for the platform.

bloodycape, lovelaptops and JoeS like this.