HP Envy x2, WOA, SD835 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by JoeS, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Obi

Obi Pen Pal - Newbie

I really wish the kickstand was built in. Oh well, maybe if it's light enough I wont need it. Still, it would have been nice for propping it up in bed.

JoeS likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I think we may be getting too worked up about minor design issues with one of the models being offered up. This is a whole new generation of devices and, whatever its strengths and weaknesses, it will keep getting better, probably in 3-6 mo. cycles, as long as it basically proves its mettle. Also, let's not forget, the very first devices aren't expected out until "Spring 2018" so there's still a good bit of design, engineering and software development yet to be completed. I don't think the Spectre x2 Endgadget tested is the one they release. This is dam exciting!

Chris_Kez and JoeS like this.
  3. Downwind

Downwind Pen Pal - Newbie

This looks like the machine I was hoping to get when I got the new Spectre X2. If it's even close to 20 hours on battery I won't be able to resist. Finally.

JoeS likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can't wait for CES. I guess we'll start seeing various OEM offers.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

5. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm curious to see how the business variant of this will turn out. This is interesting to me, especially with digitizer support, and 256gb option(something Atom device not name Vaio lacked); however, as I aforementioned on this site single usb port, and the fact the SD845 was announced today is a no for me.

Do we know if Exynos is supported on WOA, or is it going to Snapdragon(what the Samsung Ativ ARM model used) and Nvidia(are they on board still?). That would be interesting to me as the current model is faster than 835 and I'm sure there will be even a faster model seeing as we are close to an Galaxy S9 announcement. Sure LTE band support in North America maybe an issue, but it could be nice for those of us who want a WOA device sans LTE.

Related question, what are the chances of a WOA SurfaceBook like device, where the tablet portion has the ARM cpu, and the base say has a Core M or U series cpu. When attached both can be used at the same time, so we can get some decent standby time compare regular Intel models, while having instant on.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From what they've announced so far, it's Snapdragon only. They mentioned working closely with Qualcomm on the project, but who knows what Microsoft might be working on behind the scenes.

I think the scenario you mention of a dual ARM/x86 device is unlikely. In order to have your same data and apps available at all times in a seamless way, you'd have to do some weird data management. At the very least you'd need a partition for the ARM OS and another for the x86 OS. And then you'd have your storage partition that both can access... except that would presumably block any form of data encryption because if you encrypt it in one OS, then the other can't get to it. And while x86 apps do run on ARM, for best results you'd want to run ARM native where possible. So for Windows apps that are available in both ARM and x86, you'd have to duplicate things by downloading both. I mean, I guess maybe it's doable... but I'm not sure it can be pulled off in transparent enough of a manner to give mass market appeal.

But obviously I'm just speculating there.

bloodycape likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fudzilla gets the weight wrong. They say "The device is pretty thin at 6.9mm and weighs 1.21kg (without the detachable soft keyboard)".

Meanwhile, on the HP page, they say 1.21kg and then in the footnote... "Weight includes tablet, keyboard, and cover."

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oops, I thought I had told you guys that I had added that to the OP on day 1.. My bad!

I'm still not sure about the weight. Their press release stated 1.54 lbs with keyboard, which is less than the SP4 without cover. The text behind the box 'true mobility' states 1.21kg (2.67 lbs) which sounds more realistic, and less exciting. That's more than the SP4 with cover.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  10. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

if its 1.5 lbs with keyboard cover, that is utterly amazing. its probably the 2.67 lbs.

but 20 hrs battery life, which leans probably 14 hrs in real world usage is still pretty amazing.

JoeS likes this.