1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

HP ENVY X2 up on HP.com

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dceggert, Nov 20, 2012.

1. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

I am not sure when it actually arrived but I found this hiding amongst the laptops in the Home and Home Office store:

HP ENVY x2 11t-g000 | HP® Official Store

Update: I did not see a pen (stylus) as an optional purchase. Dec 19 estimated ship date.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

And what I find totally LUDICROUS about that web page is the photo gallery that shows not one single shot illustrating the fact that this is not a laptop...

What on earth is wrong with HP's marketing department?
  3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

It goes back to, at least, the release of the TM2 and Slate 500, when they buried the tablets so deep into their website, that you'd need Caterpillar's help to find them. Way to go during a tablet fad, HP!
  4. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

5. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope, it's not N-Trig, it's Atmel...

At least, I am pretty sure that it will be that; the same as used on the Elitepad 900
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At least I know that the ram is upgradeable
    "Upgradeable to 2 GB LPDDR" :)

Is there any real reason to buy this over the Samsung Ativ? I cannot see one! 7 hour battery life... yay
  7. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

You must be mistaken. As tabletpcitalia stated the 4th gen of N-Trig pens are far better than the predecessor and probablay even better than Wacom as they are more precise even in the corner and edges.
    For Atmel, I am not sure what to think of this new kind of tech, but it seems like it is behind N-Trig and Wacom in terms of usability. Just watch the official video of Maxstylus more closely (only draws in big letters/numbers, doesn't seem very smooth, always zooms in and out)...
  8. e-schreiber

It boggles the mind! :D I think the Ativ 500T and the TPT2 are much better deals.
  9. Giacomo UCDS

Giacomo UCDS Tablet PC addicted

I tested a pre-production Envy x2 for three days last month during SMAU 2012 in Milan. I'm sure that is no an N-Trig or Wacom device, but no one, even in HP, has been capable of tell me what kind of digitizer it is; the device manager gave no informations about this.

According to the press photo, the pen is the same in ElitePad and Envy, but if you take a very datailed look to the photos, it looks different from Atmel pens, so there is possibilities that it is not Atmel.

It is an error. The RAM is not upgradeable, 2 GB is the maximum for the Envy.

Except for the digitizer, from a performance/specs point of views, Envy, ATIV or Lenovo Tablet 2 are all the same tablet. But in my opinion the Envy x2 building quality is far superior from the ATIV - the XE500 looks very cheap, it is all plastic; the Envy x2 have a full-metal body that gave a very, very, nice feeling.
    During last month I used Fujitsu Q702, Q572 and T902, Samsung ATIV XE500, Sony VAIO Duo 11, Toshiba U920t, Lenovo Twist, Asus VIVO Tab RT and the HP Envy was the only one Windows 8 device that, as first impression, I felt superior. I'll never buy one of it; compared to my EliteBook 2760p or tc1100 this device sucks (no ports, no user replaceable battery, 16:9 display, no Wacom, glossy screen, Atom, no pen silo, ...), but it is a very well-build device. If the digitizer is as good as Wacom, in my opinion it should be one of the best Atom tablet on the market.
  10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I missed off the sarcasm /s from my post! Sorry about that :)
  11. e-schreiber

Look deep inside your own heart, young Skywalker. I sense that your emotions towards that contraption are deeply conflicting.... :D
  12. dceggert

FYI...after watching the 'estimated ship date' of the Envy X2 march later and later as a day for day slippage (all the way to Dec 24) the clock has now wound all the way back to Dec 13, 2012 again. Not sure what it means, really, but it is a data point. So, if you were thinking about getting one of these for the holidays there may be a bright spot. On the other hand, the 'pen' is still not showing up as an orderable accessory yet.
  13. dceggert

14. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's odd that it's not for sale yet I saw a large(think two part) Windows 8 billboard near LAX, as driving back from arrivals showing, showing off the Envy X2. Even says Envy X2 below it.
  15. dceggert

Well, like I mention above, the 'estimated shipping date' has become realistic now on pre-orders so things may be forthcoming.

Some interesting tidbits from the manuals -->
    - 64 GB and 128 GB SSD will eventually be available
    - the optional HP Executive Atmel Pen is only available on "select models" so be careful what you order

To anyone interested in this device, since the pen is not listed for the one presently on HP's site for pre-order and you want to use the pen, you may want to wait until clear information about what devices it will work on comes out. Looking at the hardware specs at Atmel's site it sounds as though the pen would work with any of the MaxTouch systems but the note on HP's site has me wondering when and where the pen will work with the Envy X2.
  16. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, does that mean you get a model that don't have the pen, you can't just order one from HP?
  17. dceggert

I have no clue yet!
  18. dceggert

The estimated ship date is back to slipping day-for-day again. Also, still no sign of the "HP Atmel Executive Pen."

So I read that "Tablet sales with Win 8 installed is dissappointing"...uh, are there any 'tablets' with Win 8 available? Hello.....
  19. jimmy

jimmy Pen Pal - Newbie

I ended up biting the bullet using the student discount, $10 off $50 coupon and the free nook. $832 all in

Estimated ship date is 12/17
  20. dceggert

The estimated ship date has now jumped from 12/18/2012 to 1/2/2013. Ouch.... Oh well, as in all good things, patience is the prudent approach. As Killic says in "Master and Commander", "it will be ready when it's ready...."