HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. cmh

cmh Pen Pal - Newbie

waco98,
    I ordered my Envy x2 on Jan 8th, with a expected ship date of Jan 25th. I have had 3 HP notebooks before and HP always shipped well before the promised ship date. I'm just curious, what was the expected ship date on your Envy x2 and how long was the transit time? My wife's birthday is Jan 30th and I had hoped to have the Envy for her by then!

2. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

I could go off of this device really quickly...

So I had three lockups yesterday, and woke up this morning to yet again be greeted with a frozen screen - turned on, this time, seemingly half way between between waking and suspend (the lock screen background was there, but no time or other UI components)

I also had the reverse with one of my lockups yesterday - the screen wouldn't come on but I think it was responding to input, as if you pressed the Windows button the button lit up and the device vibrated. So my theory about this being the inputs to the device crashing seems to be kaput. There are at least three different forms of crash going on here.

I am loathe to start pushing things with HP but it's getting close. I know what their tech support will say - "take off and nuke the site from orbit", ie full system reset, but I've done a huge amount of configuration and setup of my apps and am reluctant to have to do that again. I also am sceptical that such a nuke will have any effect if the drivers from Intel are suspect.

*sigh*

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

With new machines, I always reinstall Windows a couple of times in the first trimester. But you're right. A reinstall might not solve the problem. You should try it, anyway. Also consider using drivers released by other OEMs like Samsung, Asus, etc.... Some people have reported success with "foreign" drivers.

Bugs are common-place on recently-released machines as drivers tend to be half-baked. This is probably the reason why HP postponed the ElitePad 900's release....To get some more time to finish its drivers. That's a business-grade machine, after, all and they don't want to upset their business customers.

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Especially Samsung. If I read the articles correctly, Samsung was first to market with the Clover Trail architecture because they did not get caught up in the Intel driver mess like everyone else...they wrote their own!

5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ironically I am using the HP drivers on my Vivo Tab as Asus has completely forgotten they released it and have no drivers for it. The HP drivers actually improved stability for me so either you have some software conflict or its actually dodgy hardware thats causing your problems.

6. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Interestingly, it seems a lot happier after disabling Bluetooth and nfc. Thought I'd try it after reading some of the Samsung guys expressing doubts about the stability of their Bluetooth drivers. Could be coincidence though.

7. hackan

hackan Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the delayed reply.
    I hope it's OK that I provide a link to the store I found, protectionfilms24.com. I haven't ordered anything from them earlier, and have no idea about the quality, but it was one site that I found.
    I'm waiting with placing an order for now, since I'm about to travel and it won't arrive before I leave.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. TechlLuv

TechlLuv Pen Pal - Newbie

I went to Staples tonight to buy the Samsung 500T but while looking the sales person mentioned they had just received the Envy x2. The Envy is a beautiful item and has an excellent locking mechanism for the docking keyboard. One test I prepared for the 500T was a HD m4v file on a flash drive. The file was played perfectly on the Envy with the default video Xbox player. The Samsung would not play the file for some reason. The sales person also mentioned how well the 500T sold in the beginning until hardware and software issues started to appear. I don't usually buy first generation items but I love the features of the Windows 8 tablets. That bit of information now has me nervous to buy the 500T. My one night of playing with the Envy does have me wanting to purchase it but it had two problems. The first problem was the speakers, they sound horrible having low volume and all treble. the second issue was it shutdown on its own while I was using it. I've read about these issues before but has HP fixed either of them through updates? I've also read about the Envy possibly having slow Emmc memory. Has anyone had a problem with that?

9. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

It's no contest if you're comparing to the 500T, IMHO. Better build quality, battery in the keyboard dock. Although keyboard on the Samsung is probably better (assuming it's the same as the 700T). Internal hardware is identical so nothing to differentiate them there.

Random reboots etc seem to be par for the course across the board on all the Clover Trail machines although mine seems much more stable having disabled Bluetooth and NFC.

That said there are better devices on the market now than both of these. I suspect I'll pick up an Asus in the near future. The ME400 gives me x86 Windows 8 in a 10" form factor. 11.6" is a little too big for a tablet.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

10. cmh

cmh Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I received my Envy x2 yesterday, and am returning it today. Maybe I got a bad unit, but the wi-fi was very insensitive. I have a Envy 14, which I really like for a notebook, and while the Envy 14 showed all bars of wi-fi strength, the envu x2 showed 1-2 bars and would not connect. I had to update Windows 8 standing under the access point! It ran so erratically that it was difficult to use: the touch screen sometimes requires a hard press, the swipe motions erratic and slow.In general, it was not a nice experience after waiting and following the whole trip from China. I called tech support, who was not much help, sending me to the HP.com site for drivers, which I'm sure were up-to-date anyway since this thing was built last week and the driver dates were mid-December at the latest. I also installed the latest bios which was also mid-December. Nothing made any difference. This is simply not a happily-usable device and I expected so much more. I'm not a gamer, so speed is not object, but I did want a responsive device. Anybody else have this experience?