HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. HairyCube

HairyCube Pen Pal - Newbie

Got a reply from an HP person. No good news, unfortunately.
    My only conclusion is: this is a hardware problem that HP refuse to acknowledge, and the software fix someone mentioned on the forums is a complete lie.

2. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

The latest Microsoft update seems to have fixed my 'clock changing' problem and the bios error. However, I have noticed increased battery drain from the dock when I start up the unit again. It was always there, only now it is worse! Also, after careful consideration, I purchased a capacitive stylus I thought would work. Well, I guess I wasn't careful enough!!! I bought a Musemee Notier, and the Envy only recognized it enough to make two small lines!! That was it! This pen works wonderfully on my Note 3, so it isn't the pen. Of course, my finger works fine, but you can't sketch or take s notes well with it. I don't think any brand of capacitive styli work with this thing!! How can that be?????

3. HairyCube

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Yes, the touch screen on Envy X2 is very crappy indeed. It doesn't even work that well with fingers either, it's not very responsive to begin with, and the grounding problem makes it even worse. I think using any stylus with this thing is next to impossible.

About the time fix, would you mind sharing the KB number of the update? I couldn't find it for some reason, and I think my system is still affected.

4. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll try to post a screenshot of my installed updates for the 14th & 15th of May. It was one of those.

Attached Files:

5. HairyCube

Can't see anything in your screenshot, and it's not clickable... But anyway, here is mine.
    My system is fully updated, and I still have the time problem. I think it's not fixed yet, and you may run into it again sometime.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. HairyCube

Apparently the fix for the clock problem is scheduled to be released next Tuesday, July 8. That said, I no longer have the Envy X2 so I will be unsubscribing from this thread. Good luck to all Envy X2 owners!

7. Cha1slemonom

Cha1slemonom Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem - mouse pointer for the Touchpad disappears if I close the PC, requiring a restart. Has anyone found a solution?

8. larsdennert

larsdennert Pen Pal - Newbie

HP has released an update BIOS F.14 which is supposed to address the drain in clamshell mode; assuming also you have turned off the USB charge mode which also drains even faster when the computer is off.

Software is here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5363277#N884

I could not get F.14 to install the normal way by just downloading it and running the installer. Possibly my recovery partitions are botched up.

If you have the same problem, here is how I flashed it.
    1. Back up/print your Bitlocker recovery key from the bitlocker menu in the control panel if you are running 8.1. This is a 48 digit number. Also print these instructions.
    2. Do not skip step 1 OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON THE C:
    3. If you can, disable/suspend Bitlocker Encryption from the control panel in 8.1. The standard edition does not allow this and your have to add Group Policy Editor and edit manually. You can google that but I skipped this entirely. Go back and read step 1.
    4. Insert a USB flash drive in the right side USB port and format it FAT32.
    5. Run the UEFI Support Environment 5.2 from the link above and create an HP_TOOLS partition on the USB drive
    6. Download F.14 from the link above and run the installer. Continue even if you get a WMI error.
    7. Use Windows Explorer to browse to D:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New or whatever drive letter your flash drive is.
    8. Copy the three firmware files in this folder to D:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\Current and D:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\Previous so you have duplicates
    9. Do a Shutdown of the laptop.
    10. READ STEP ONE AGAIN
    11. Hold down the Win and B keys then touch the power button. Continue to hold the WINB until you see the embedded bios flash screen. The laptop should locate the F.14 BIOS on the USB drive and install it. It will then reboot and flash the Boot block. Be patient. You may get an error.
    12. The computer will then try to boot and you will likely end up at the Bitlocker screen asking for the key. Instead, power off the laptop.
    13. Power it up and immediately press F10 repeatedly to get into BIOS. If that doesn't work try power up with FN F10 or ESC.
    14. Once in BIOS change your settings as you would like including disabling USB charge mode and go into the Boot Options
    15. Make sure Secure Boot is enabled. If it is not accessible, Clear the keys and install the Factory Keys. Then enable Secure Boot.
    16. Save Settings and reboot.
    17. Enter your Bitlocker key from step 1 if needed and reenable Bitlocker encryption if you disabled it.
    18. Open the HP Support Assistant and click on the My Computer specs to see if F.14 is installed.

This took me hours to figure out. Hope you profit from it. Basically what this does is tricks the bios recovery into updating instead of restoring an old version.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Pen Pal - Newbie

The keyboard battery still seems to drain on F.14 even when the Envy is shutdown in clamshell mode.

10. kamand

kamand Pen Pal - Newbie

hello
    i have a hp envy 11 x2 . i want to charge tablet or keyboard with usb charger same as android phone because its original charger is big and have high weight and not suitable for travel. can anyone help me?
    excuse me because of bad English writing
    thank you