HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. jtsmall

jtsmall Scribbler - Standard Member

I never hibernate or otherwise turn the Envy X2 off. Both have been shown to increase battery drain, odd as that seems. Instead I put it in airplane mode when connected standby is less important and that definitely decreases battery drain on (or resulting in) extended times between charges.

I'm 99.99% sure fast startup is enabled unless it was reset when I reinstalled the OS.

No clock issues ever.

-jts

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

2. HairyCube

HairyCube Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your reply. It's possible that you actually have the bug, but you don't notice it because you don't turn off the device via Shutdown.
    I have to turn it off completely every once in a while because I only use it a couple times a week. To avoid battery drain, I detach it from keyboard dock, which seems to help. However, when I turn it back on, the clock is messed up occasionally. I am pretty sure this is a Windows 8.1 compatibility bug, because this never occurred in Windows 8. It happens even on a clean installation (with and without HP drivers installed).
    I was just hoping to get enough people to report this bug to HP or Microsoft so that we can get a firmware/OS update. There are workarounds for this issue, but no official fix.
    Connected Standby is an amazing feature, but it still eats about 8-10% per day, while turning it off completely and detaching the keyboard part results in 0% battery drain, at least for me.

3. jtsmall

That's enough detail that I'll see if I can replicated the issue.

4. HairyCube

So, FINALLY!

We did it:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. jtsmall

Excellent work!

As a point of reference a Pavilion 11 X2 Haswell Core i5-4202Y variant did not display clock loss when in hibernate mode x3 for a total of 12 - 16 hours - well, the Android clock I compared it against was perhaps about 2 seconds ahead. I would expect more loss based on what has been said here.

I checked my Envy X2 after an extended hibernation of not more than 22 hours (maybes less depending on how long it took the 80% battery to run down). And lo, it had gained 25 seconds! But I don't recall when I last set the time manually as it was on the default auto time check. After updating the time I put it in hibernation out of what is now curiosity to see if it loses time.

Thanks for the update.

-jts

6. HairyCube

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yeah, it seems that it didn't affect Core i5-based tablets.
    So, the remaining problems with Envy X2 are keyboard dock battery drain and touchscreen grounding issue. Not sure if either is fixable via software means, but a software fix for the touchscreen problem has been mentioned on HP Support forums. Unfortunately, it was never made public for whatever reason. I'm going to post in those forums to see if we can it get released to the public, though I suspect it never existed in the first place.
    As for battery drain, perhaps a firmware update could fix it, but HP seem reluctant to acknowledge the problem, even though it affects a large number of (possibly all) units.

7. HairyCube

Okay, so I now have a serious reason to return my HP Envy X2. Today a dotted vertical line appeared on the right side of the screen, and it doesn't go away even if I restart or go into BIOS settings. Apparently the display is faulty.
    I will be contacting HP soon. I've had this system for less than 5 months, and I've had enough problems with it to consider sending it in for repair. I would prefer to have a refund, though...

8. jtsmall

Udate: After 60 hours of hibernation the Envy X2 clock had gained 5 seconds. I then used the clock from the icon tray to reset with the default Windows time update and it return to the same second as my control (Verizon Android smartphone).

Seems my clock is off with hibernation too but it gains rather than loses time.

-jts

9. HairyCube

Just got my Envy X2 back from repair. I must say it was really fast, the whole process took less than a week.
    They replaced the display unit and the front bezel. It was nice of them to install a new screen protector (I sent mine in with one installed, too).
    The screen works fine now, but the touchscreen grounding issue is still there. I PMed an HP person from the support forums who was looking for the fix in this thread. They have seen my message but haven't replied. Will post here if I hear back from them, but I'd suggest we all visit this thread and ask for a solution.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. jtsmall

Regarding HPSA losing SN, etc. This occurred with my Envy X2 purchased March 2013. Reinstalled HPSA several times but problem persisted. Finally I reinstall the OS from an HP provided thumb drive and that fixed the issue. I'm still using the Envy.

Fast forward today. Same issue occurred with my 2 week old Pavilion 11 X2 i5-4202Y model. This time I contacted support via chat and remotely the original HPSA was removed and reinstalled after a number of system checks were performed, so something may have been altered (I didn't notice alterations as I followed along).

Tech told me this was not uncommon and attributed to HPSA corruption. My takeaway is remove, download and reinstall HPSA. If that fails, reinstall the OS. It's always been a recommendation to reinstall Windows every year or two for as long as this OS has existed. The rationale is to clean out corrupted or conflicting drivers. And likely a bloated registry too!

-jts

PS. This msg also posted in the HP Support thread linked (the issue was also raised in that thread) in the above message by HairyCube.

Last edited: May 13, 2014