HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Overall, I like it better than 8, but I wish I would go back to 8 then upgrade directly from there. Updates are coming pretty regularly, but you never know what will happen after you install one. Usually, I think my touchpad is too sensitive. Then today, it became unresponsive several times! Who knows??? I have gotten that BSD problem quite a few times but not since I've started making sure I unplug any usb devices before shutting down. As far as I know, no update has fixed that yet.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Ditto! I haven't seen an HP update to anything in some months. All updates come from Microsoft. I find it hard to believe HP could leave this and other devices without driver support to fix these problems! Seems to me they are wasting so much money producing similar and also imperfect devices that nobody wants, instead of sticking with one thing and improving upon it. There must be something left over to pay someone to write new drivers to correct current issues. If HP does not survive as a company, there will be no mystery as to why.

3. HairyCube

HairyCube Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, thanks a lot for this suggestion, battery life seems much better this way. I would still prefer full shutdown though. Since the X2 is not my main computer, I use it only for a couple of hours once or twice a week. It's really frustrating when you turn it off with 60% charge only to find out a few days later it has dropped to 10%. I guess I will keep it detached from the dock when I leave it off for a long time.

I'm not surprised at all to be honest, I've had a very similar experience with a Dell laptop which had lots of issues and just seemed broken by design. Tech support was horrible, and most problems reported by me and other people weren't ever addressed. Of course, no drivers for Windows 8.1 (only for 8) since the laptop is now about 2.5 years old. I guess this is a common practice among OEMs nowadays. The lesson I learned from this experience - never buy Dell again, also never buy HP :)
    Speaking of issues, have you resolved the system clock problem on 8.1? Apparently it affects other tablets as well, and some of them have received BIOS and driver updates, such as Acer W3. I wonder if HP will release an update as well, though it seems unlikely.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. hackan

hackan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I just got my Envy x2 back from repair. I sent it in on December 31, got it back Friday February 21. One of the problems I had was a circle in the centre of the screen - it was resolved by replacing the tablet part. The other problem I had was with a noise from the computer. Could anyone check the following:
    Listen to the keyboard dock (1-2 decimetre from the keyboard) when the charger is attached and the battery is not fully charged - do you hear anything?
    My keyboard makes a high frequency noise, originating somewhere in the middle. This can be heard as soon as the charger is connected, but is most audible when it is not fully charged. It is not very loud, but today I'm sure I heard it even with music from a loudspeaker 1-2 meters away.

5. HairyCube

Hi, I don't observe such behavior on my system. It does make high-pitched noise when copying files, installing apps etc., but it's pretty much inaudible, I don't hear it unless it's absolutely quiet in the room, and I put my ear right next to the keyboard. I obviously wouldn't be able to hear it if there was music playing. It doesn't get louder when I connect the charger. I wouldn't get bothered by this anyway since all computers I had in the past made similar noise, though I would be concerned if I could hear it from 1-2 meters away. Maybe there's something wrong with the charger?
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  6. nickb

nickb Pen Pal - Newbie

Just purchased an Envy. Having completed all the updates am wondering about the 8.1 upgrade. First attempt doing it via the app store (after updating everything and reading the official HP 8.1 upgrade guide) failed (just retrying again to get the error code).

My question is about the official HP 8.1 drivers. I see they are both 8 and 8.1 compatible so I figure I could install them first anyway. I wondering if I should install the drivers directly from the HP site or leave it to HP Support Assistant to decide? I'm minded to leave it to the Support Assistant but the one on my previous machine (Lenovo) did not always get the latest drivers.

My reason for confusion is that on the driver versions I can see on the HP page (some are hidden in .exes) are newer than what is on the X2, for example the Broadcom NFC and Bluetooth drivers. If this is right I don't understand why, if they are the latest drivers and Win 8 compatible, that HP Support Assistant has not automatically installed them?

Any suggestions appreciated. Like the X2 by the way a lot, looks just like my girlfriends Macbook air :)

7. hackan

hackan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for taking the time to check this. I'm currently updating to Windows 8.1 - since the customer support asked me to check the device as thoroughly as possible. I have a list of things I will try to verify before HP calls me back.
    As for yesterday - it was a separate loudspeaker that was 1-2 meters away, connected to another computer, while the Envy x2 was next to me. The point I wanted to make was that the room was not completely silent, but I could still hear the sound. Some times I have music when I'm working, some times I prefer to work in a silent environment.

Just now I could hear the sound when I was on the phone (the computer is on the desk in front of me), making harder for me to focus on the conversation. I've also verified that the noise originates from the keyboard part, thus in my case it would be strange if it has anything to do with copying files, installing apps, and so on, since there is no storage installed in the keyboard. It might be the charger, the keyboard dock, the power outlet in my home, or even (to a limited part) my imagination, however I do believe something is wrong with my system. I will bring the unit to work tomorrow and see if I have the same behaviour there, and also try to ask a colleague if he can identify the sound.

Update: I talked to HP today, they will take the computer in for repair (again), apparently the company handling the repairs "missed"/forgot to check on this noise, and prioritized the display. First 7 weeks for fixing the display, and now (up to) 7 days to fix this from that I send it to them. This time they say that they have the spare parts available, I'll see how that goes.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  8. larsdennert

larsdennert Pen Pal - Newbie

Make sure you update all the drivers and firmware (f.12) either through the support assistant or from

Software & driver downloads HP ENVY x2 11-g011nr | HP® Support

Then boot into the BIOS (F10? at boot) and disable USB charging as that always drains the battery even with nothing plugged in and the machine off.

If your envy hangs in sleep mode, update the BroadComm wifi drivers to version 113. HP has not released these but they are available for our chipset. You can get them here

Broadcom Wireless LAN driver for BCM4330 abgn Windows 8.1 (32-bit), 8 (32-bit) – ThinkPad Tablet 2 | Notebook Driver & Software

The last issue I have not solved is the SDBus IO error at boot. None of the patches I've tried solved the issue. For the crappy sound I use an aftermarket sound driver to boost the volume.

RaymondPJR likes this.
  9. HairyCube

I can confirm that the system clock bug is still there after applying the leaked Update 1 to Windows 8.1 :(

10. larsdennert

larsdennert Pen Pal - Newbie

Try opening the registy editor and changing the following two settings to 1000000 decimal:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\MaxPosPhaseCorrection
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\MaxNegPhaseCorrection

This should allow the clock to correct itself when it is wrong by up to about ten days and not complain that the date is too far off. PLEASE NOTE THAT HAVING A WRONG DATE/TIME WILL DISABLE WINDOWS UPDATE AND YOU WON'T GET UPDATES.

I believe the service syncs every 45 minutes by default but you can change it at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters
    by adding a key as follows:
    Period : REG_DWORD or REG_SZ
    Used to control how often the time service synchronizes. If a string value is specified, it must be one of special ones listed below. If you specify the string value by using the numbers (65535 for example), then create the value as a REG_DWORD. If you use the word to specify the string value (BiDaily for example), then the entry should be created as a REG_SZ.
    0 = once a day
    65535, "BiDaily" = once every 2 days
    65534, "Tridaily" = once every 3 days
    65533, "Weekly" = once every week (7 days)
    65532, "SpecialSkew" = once every 45 minutes until 3 good synchronizations occur, then once every 8 hours (3 per day) [default]
    65531, "DailySpecialSkew" = once every 45 minutes until 1 good synchronization occurs, then once every day
    freq = freq times per day

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.