HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

15% is no big deal & would not hold me back if that is the only issue especially considering I heard people complain of it with Win 8 as well, you feel this is a Win 8.1 exclusive issue?

You don't have standby issues, touchpad or other issues?

Lastly just curious why you're using a Galaxy Note 10.1" over your Envy x2 (I use a Samsung Note 2 but that is a handset not tablet similar in size to Envy x2)?

Anyone else still have issues with Win 8.1 on their Envy x2:hi2:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have a bad case of gadgetitis, probably ought to be institutionalized.
    Didn't have the power leakage under Windows 8.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

3. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Yeah I might have some gadgetitis too, beside the Envy x2, I'm now using my Split x2 (where there are possible significant Win 8.1 touchpad issues so that also remains Win8) & still considering getting Asus VivoTab Note 8 & Dell Venue 11 Pro.. Love my SGNote2 but didn't think the 3rd was enough of an upgrade so looking forward to the 4th or possibly the SG5.

Interesting that you didn't have that power leakage under Win 8 because I've seen some posters complain about it since it was released with Win8 but hasn't been a significant issue for me. I'll probably update the Envy x2 to Win8.1 this weekend unless I see more issues from users..:hi2:

4. jtsmall

jtsmall Scribbler - Standard Member

PHP:
    I'm curious if anyone out there has found help from the HP Support forums.

Anyone?

I stopped checking there months ago because questions about 8.1 received blue sky positive reassurance from HP personnel despite the same issues being posed without evidence of resolution as we have discussed here.

My approach so far is to reluctantly write off 8.1 for the X2. Upgrading to Windows 7, back in the day, had similar issue but they were readily addressed and I don't recall those hassles taking on a life of their own like they have with 8.1. Nor, indeed, any in any upgrades to Win 7.

Has MS changed their policy in supporting the OEM's with drivers?

Has HP downsized so drastically that consumer products receive only bare bones support? The Split X2, etc appear to me rushed to market with similar issues (and more) persisting. The Bay Trail Pavillion plasticy Envy X2 replacement is a big disappointment on so many levels it's not worth space to discuss them.

One or both of the above seem most plausible.

Regardless, I am rethinking any move toward 8.1 regardless of OEM. ASUS, for example (not picking on ASUS), is not a stalwart of consumer support, good as their ultrabooks and 2 in 1 hybrids have been. I will buy from any OEM that has the product I find agreeable but HP will receive additional scrutiny. It took me years to get over HP's early TX1000 convertible abysmal misstep which leads me to question my own sanity. For a trip down memory lane see ...

HP tx1000 Convertible Notebook Review

The last (currently) posted comment to the review is as follows ...

This product is DEFECTIVE.

Documented here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3292323&ref=ts

Do not buy.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Are you still running Win8 on your Envy x2 or 8.1?

If updated to 8.1 & issues are evident would a recovery from the recovery drive bring the device back to the Win8 factory settings it was shipped with (I suppose user data would be gone so a current backup should be done before updating)?
    :hi2:

6. jtsmall

I'm still with Win 8. Sure I'd like to upgrade to the latest Win 8.1. But not with lack of proven drivers such that result in battery drain, sound, screen or keyboard issues. Unless I'm misreading this thread I don't believe all these issues have been resolved for a seamless upgrade on the Envy X2.

I understand if you have at least the HP thumb drive with Windows 8 install to factory on it, this will return the X2 from Win 8.1. I have that drive but I'm not willing to spend a day or two jacking with the X2 until the drivers are there.

I routinely check for Win 8.1 drivers but have seem none posted.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS likes this.
  7. HairyCube

HairyCube Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone, another user of Envy X2 here. I bought the device in December.

I clean installed Windows 8.1 on it, but after a while I had to go back to Windows 8 because the system clock kept changing, as RaymondPJR has mentioned earlier in this thread. It's weird, like the clock would fast-forward when the device is off. I went back to Windows 8 several days ago and so far I haven't had the problem yet. Is this a bug in Windows 8.1, or maybe a driver problem?

Another problem I still have even after going back to Windows 8 is battery drain when the keyboard dock is attached, which has also been mentioned in this thread. I turned off USB charging modes in BIOS, but it the keyboard dock still loses about 15-20% every day when the computer is powered off. If I disconnect the dock, it doesn't seem to lose charge, but it's really annoying to do that and sometimes the touchpad doesn't work if I attach the dock right before powering it on.

And finally, the touchscreen "grounding" issue. The left half of the touchscreen is unresponsive unless I'm also touching the bottom side of the tablet. I looked it up on HP forums, and there were people who claimed to have received some kind of software fix, but the fix itself is nowhere to be found. It seems more like a hardware problem to me. Has anyone actually seen this fix, or was it just made up by HP so that people would stop complaining?

I really like this device, but these issues just ruin the whole experience for me.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot.

RaymondPJR likes this.
  8. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Thanks for sharing your experience, how did you install Win 8 from a Win 8.1 clean install?

I still notice the left side grounding issue if for example the tablet is placed on a bed without holding it so I just touch the bottomside or hold it but I did find it particularly odd when I first noticed it long ago. I haven't installed updates as I was still relatively satisfied (given its specs) & didn't want to risk downtime so I guess I'll have to continue that ideology by not installing Win 8.1 yet considering all the reported issues here & https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+envy+x2+drivers+windows+8.1

It's frustrating to have such update issues & that's why I like to hear from users & not HP reps who have told me there are "no issues updating to Win 8.1 & if there are it's a MSFT issue".. I guess such product innovation comes with imperfections & update frustrations so I'll have to accept it's limitations for now (at least until I'm feeling more adventurous with more free time-patience or other users reply that it's safe to update)..:hi2:

9. HairyCube

HairyCube Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I just clean install every time. I didn't like the bloatware it came with, so I backed up the recovery partition, reformatted everything and clean installed Windows 8.1 on it. I did the same when going back to Windows 8. Funny how you have to use a USB mouse and/or keyboard to install Windows because the touch panel, the touchpad and the dock keyboard don't work until you install the drivers.

Apart from the strange system clock issue, I can confirm there are no issues with the upgrade (or, should I say, the issues are the same as with original Windows 8). Sleep mode works fine. Never had a single display driver crash or hang or anything.
    Apparently the clock issue also affects other Clover Trail tablets, like Acer W510. The last post says that turning off Fast Startup resolves the problem, but it didn't in my case, and why would I do that on a tablet? Besides, it works fine on Windows 8, so it's probably a bug. I have a backup of my Windows 8.1 installation, so I will go back to 8.1 whenever a hotfix for this problem becomes available.

The biggest issue with this device for me is keyboard dock battery drain. To all fellow users reading this: if you don't have this problem, could you please tell me what BIOS settings (particularly USB modes and Secure Boot) you have?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. jtsmall

I find that leaving the X2 on but engaging Airplane Mode (turns off WiFi) results in least power drain, nearly imperceptible. I always leave the keyboard attached.

-jts

HairyCube likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.