HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d3mon187

d3mon187 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've loved the Envy X2, but the performance has been a little lacking. I've been waiting for the new atoms to come out with the 4gb of ram, but was disappointed to see that the Pavilion 11 x2 was plastic. So I saw that Best Buy had the Split X2 on sale last week, and took the plunge on the all aluminum Split X2 ultraportable. What a disappointment! At 13", it's too bulky and heavy for me to use as a tablet. The hinge is exactly the same, but flops around on the Split X2, and moves when touched under the extra weight. The weight difference also makes the whole thing a lot less care free for lugging around, and a pain to keep on your lap when the hinge starts digging in. Unfortunately even the aluminum case is worse, as it looses the brushed style, and looks like it might as well be cheap painted plastic. The keyboard also has an extra row on the right, which makes the whole thing feel off center and a pain to type on. Really, the only thing improved is the performance, but for me it isn't worth it. I'll just wait it out for someone to release something comparable to the Envy X2, but with upgraded internals.

Anybody tried hacking in some upgraded parts yet?

2. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

You have to tease every bit of performance out of this thing that you can. Edit the start-up menu, move the page file to it's own partition on the hard-drive or alternately onto a 64Gig SD card. Those two things will give a little boost. I agree with you, it is a mystery why HP would not release an updated Envy, the form factor is almost right and the build quality is definitely right. If I were the designer, I'd shave a little off the width of the device by an inch and take the keyboard nearly to the edges of the unit. The Envy X2 measures just under 12 inches straight across. That extra space on either side of the keyboard is a waste if you ask me. That would also decrease the right and left bezels on the screen and make the device less awkward in portrait. I'd leave the other dimensions as is. Plus I would place a usb port on the bottom portion of the tabet and maybe squeeze just one more onto the keyboard, slip in the upgraded processor and, voila', my dream machine! I don't know why they have gone to all these various sizes, and plastic!!! Thirteen inches for a tablet is just too big and ten inches across is too small if you want to use a keyboard! I think tablets under this size should only be used with third party bluetooth keyboards and not be convertibles. Also, as I stated before, 13 inches is too big for a tablet so why make a convertible of that size? I don't think that is too hard to figure out. It's almost as if they don't know how to figure out what the public wants.

I'm still in love with mine even though it would benefit me to do a re-install of 8.1 going back to 8 first. I'm too lazy to do that right now, lol!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. RaymondPJR

I forgot to comment on this part. Wouldn't it be sweet if you could solder the newer processor onto the motherboard of this unit. Probably wouldn't work though, there has to be more to it than that. I've only soldered the tiny motherboard of the tiny wireless charger from one of the Samsung phones when I made a wireless charging mod. It was an experiment and a crap shoot, but it worked!

4. jtsmall

jtsmall Scribbler - Standard Member

In my hands completely right on all accounts!

A 10.1" platform can do a good keyboard as ASUS has with their Android Transformer series. I use the TF201 Transformer Prime constantly dock and undocked without difficulties. The aluminum build quality is also wonderful and squares with that of thee Envy X2. All either require is a processor upgrade +/- improved screen resolution and I'd be in line for my copies.

-jts

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I got a projector to view on a large screen. It works smashingly with my Android devices. With the Envy I only get video out through the hdmi port not any sound. Is it a setting I have missed? Didn't find anything under Control Panel > Sound.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

6. jtsmall

jtsmall Scribbler - Standard Member

The answer to both is a big no as most likely know. I'm sure some will find either meets their needs. Nonetheless the 13 is to big and heavy for a ultra portable or tablet use and the 11 gets only 5 hr max of battery life according to one user report. There appears to be a performances issue with the 11 that I suspect Is driver related, hopefully temporary, as this is a new platform.

Also both are plastic.

-jts

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

7. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

See my post at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/56868-hp-slatebook-x2-hp-split-x2-9.html#post358366

Also I had noticed that the Envy x2 is no longer listed at http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/detachables/products.html when it was some weeks ago..?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Kumabjorn

Here is something I hadn't noticed Before. When at home I usually just leave it plugged in. It sits next to my HP Pavilion that is my main PC. I'll usually open it if I need to do something when the Pavilion is too cluttered or I'm watching some video and don't want to stop. Anyhow, last night I turned off the electricity, got an extension cord with on/off switches. This morning when I woke it up the second battery was down to 60%, IOW 40% where gone, I assume on keeping watch over the WiFi. Is this something that is common, if so is it acceptable?

I can see myself turning of the switch at night and then I might have to run off in the morning and I'll end up not having enough power for late in the day.

9. RaymondPJR

I think anything that you leave plugged into any ports on the Envy will result in battery drain even when it is off. I always detach even my usb mouse and usb wifi adapter for this very reason.

10. Kumabjorn

I don't have any USB attachments or devices connected, hence my surprise. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are the only things connected and I assumed they went to sleep with the computer.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.