HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Another Graphics update today, this one optional.

2. MOFO

MOFO Pen Pal - Newbie

Picked this up from BB the other day after returning my ASUS T100 and I'm glad I did, not that the ASUS Is bad it was just to small all around (screen/keyboard) for me to comfortably use and the screen was decent but nothing compared to the HP.

Updated to W8.1 and everything works great so far and was curious to see if it can game with the new INTEL HD Graphics and so I installed STEAM and loaded up some games at 720p.

DMC: 25-30FPS
    This the newer DMC from Ninja Theory and fairly new game and it ran pretty smoothly

BorderLands 2: 20-28FPS
    Had to play around with the settings a bit but it was averaging FPS in the higher 20's and only dipping into the lower 20's but still perfectly playable while still looking good.

CastleVania- Lords of Shadow: 25-35FPS
    I was surprised how good this game played even with most details (2AA)and lighting effects turned on, ran smooth and looked amazing even with a lot of action going on.

Now I know this is definetely not a ideal gaming rig but it can play most newer games, of course it will stuggle with some graphically intensive games no matter what settings you have but it can game when you want and that's what matters.

3. jtsmall

jtsmall Scribbler - Standard Member

MOFO, what device did you purchase? Envy X2 or Split X2?

-jts

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

4. MOFO

MOFO Pen Pal - Newbie

BestBuy version with haswell i5.

5. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, that's a different machine, lol! I couldn't believe our little Atom Processor could handle those games. Makes sense now.

6. MOFO

MOFO Pen Pal - Newbie

is it sorry for the confusion, i feel stupid know

7. jtsmall

Interesting the ten (only) comments on Best Buy site regarding the Haswell i5 aluminum Split X2. Of the 10, two were negative to the point of returns and a no buy recommendation. Weight at 5.5 pounds was universally mentioned as a negative.

I have two 1366 X 768 13.3" notebooks and find the resolution acceptable. On the Clovertrail Envy X2 11.6" (or even a Bay Trail) screen purchased in March 2013 that has been OK, else compromised performance pushing all those pixels about the screen. But to consider that satisfactory today invalidates the iPad Retina success. Anyone comparing one of the first two generation iPads to the later Retina generations would hardly find the non-Retina version preferable.

That higher definition screen resolution holds for Android tablets also in my experience. Most certainly therefore anything larger like an 11.6", 12.1" or 13.3" form factor. These 3 are clearly the best for tradeoffs between screen and keyboard usability on one hand and portability on the other.

The tablet equation is further complicated with the observation by many, including me, that 10.1" is the maximum for extended handheld use. For this form factor apparently we will be waiting on ASUS to release an updated Transformer TF700 version with a Bay Trail Z3770 processor and Windows 8.1 OS. The current ASUS T-100 falls short of these desirable specifications but is clearly today's overwhelming best choice even with its very real shortcomings.

Further, 256 GB and 512 GB SSD options are desirable off the shelf. Not simply a slow eMMC 64 GB drive.

Finally with the Split X2 a tablet weight of 2.2 pounds, or anything over the iPad Air's desirable light weight of one pound is too much for sustained tablet use. Else we have a compromised Ultrabook with 'tablet features'. This goes for the Envy X2 as well!

Arguably HP is well along the path to creating such a device but they ain't there yet!

That one cannot today reliably install Windows 8.1 on the Envy X2 leaves us with a long battery life netbook with 'tablet features' and that arguably was the best on the market a year ago.

The technology is there for something much better today than we have been presented with so far.

On the positive side the aluminum Split X2 has admirable battery life with what appears to be excellent performance thanks to its fanless Haswell i5 design. But shipping with Windows 8 and not 8.1? I would consider it an act of blind faith to think the drivers will be there for 8.1 in under six months if at all!

In my usage case of a Windows hybrid with long battery life, 11.6" screen for adequate screen and keyboard real estate coupled with portability and limited tablet usage with less than gaming or graphics handling processor at a decent price point I'm holding onto my Envy X2 until either I require more processor with larger screen, in which case I look to an Ultrabook, or someone like ASUS, HP or Samsung better approaches the above specifications.

That day will come but it's regrettably not today for me.

-jts

PS. Today's Haswell implementations fall short of the long life connected standby we enjoy under Windows 8 (but not 8.1) with the Envy X2.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  8. jtsmall

Here is a useful overview of our hybrid device category http://bit.ly/1iaHqAQ
    The written introduction is illuminating and is consistent with the viewpoint above. Also note their ranking of current offerings, screen size, weight, processors and cost.

It seems to me HP has an opportunity to introduce an Envy X2 11.6" upgrade with either a Bay Trail Z3770 or perhaps a Haswell i5-4200U with a higher resolution IPS screen. The larger 13.3" models in this category generally don't fair as well due to increased cost, weight and lesser portability. Currently 13.3" is the size I'd personally break to an ultrabook and the site above suggests ultrabooks provide the best 13.3" mobile experience for the dollar.

-jts

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4

RaymondPJR likes this.
  9. jtsmall

What a difference a day can make.

Best Buy has posted as 'Coming Soon' a 13.3" Split X2 Haswell Core i3 model 13-m110dx at $730. 4.9 lbs. I found the Sandy Bridge Core i3 excellent in a Samsung 11.6" notebook two years ago. How much better a fanless Haswell Core i3. At that price this is a model to consider, the above comments notwithstanding.

See HP Split 2in1 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive 13-m110dx - Best Buy

So I wonder aloud, does this presage an Envy x2 11.6" Bay Trail or Haswell upgrade too?

-jts

10. jtsmall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.