HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. crabnebula

crabnebula Pen Pal - Newbie

If you go into Computer Properties, it says if the PC has touch and/or pen input in the System section.

2. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

The Envy X2 looks promising, but I am concerned about two things. First, while the promotions say a stylus is an option, there doesn't seem to be any way to order one. Second, I am concerned about the "magnetic" connection of the tablet to the keyboard. Does the electrical connection have male/female pins or is it just contact between two surfaces?

Thanks for any info, Jim

3. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Keyboard docking is beautiful. Two magnetic slabs that guide connection to a bespoke connector. As someone who's had a Transformer Prime and the more recent Samsung 700T, the HP is by far the best docking arrangement.

4. hawkeye62

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I am not familiar with "bespoke" Does that mean a male/female connection?

Thanks, Jim

5. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"Bespoke" is a term that originally applied to clothing - it means "made to measure". So a bespoke suit is one that is made specifically for the wearer, rather than that person buying a mass-produced suit "off the peg". See Bespoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In this case, Loccy is saying that the docking connector is one that has been designed and built by HP specifically for the Envy X2, rather than HP using a standard connector that may be found elsewhere.

6. hawkeye62

Thanks for the definition. My question remains, is the connection male/female pins or just surface to surface?

Thanks, Jim

7. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

There are two holes in the tablet and, in the middle, a bespoke (female) connector. On the keyboard, there are two slabs and the (male) connection. The slabs are magnetic so guide the connection when you're making it. When docked it locks and you can't undock it without unlocking it. Having had several dockable devices this really is a well engineered mechanism.

8. hawkeye62

Sounds good. Thanks for the explanation.

Regards, Jim

9. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Pen Pal - Newbie

This, from a HP Blogger at CES:

"two things:

First, I had a chance to chat up a couple people during CES and got the full picture on what is happening with the active digitizer. That's right, I can officially tell you that it is an ACTIVE DIGITIZER pen that will be available for the ENVY x2. It should be available soon (ish) -- that's the news on that front.

Second, to your question about NFC. it's built into Windows 8...so it's up to app writers / hardware makers to put 2 + 2 together. As for one example, I happen to have an NFC mouse. I tapped the screen to pair it and - boom - it just works."

10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

" It should be available soon (ish)"

That statement (presumably from an HP person) hardly fills me with confidence...