HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Your battery life on the 700t isn't too bad-- better than I'd thought. 6 hours is a heartening figure for general light usage- web, word docs, etc.

2. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, I agree entirely. If your use case requires sheer processing grunt (as video editing does) you are more in the computer with detachable screen camp than tablet with attachable keyboard. But you pay the price in weight. In my case, my device spends at least 60% of its time undocked, in my hands in recreational use - web slacking, reading and video. It became apparent very early on to me that the 700T was not good at that due to its bulk, and on the basis that I could get by with a Clover Trail for the other 40% of my needs, the Sammy was the wrong device for me.

But this is something else that the reviews are (mostly) missing - the fact that there are radically different use cases for these devices. The reviewers seem to be mindlessly following the checklist: design of device/camera/benchmarks/Steam.

Mind you, I will be interested to see what the Surface Pro is like. If they can get battery life for video to 7 hours then I could be interested - although the 700T is apparently slightly lighter...!

3. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, well said. The reviews miss the difference between Atom and x86. They are comparing apples to oranges. I had an Asus netbook with a single core Atom N450 with Windows 7 that met my needs. I am sure that a dual core Clover Trail with Windows 8 will more than meet my needs. For heavy lifting my i7 desktop does the job.

Regards, Jim

4. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to agree with you on the docking of the X2 versus my 700T. I noticed the difference, though I just got a replacement keyboard for the original as one of the USB's was dead as I mentioned in another post. The USB is ok now and docking is more secure than the first keyboard. For me it is better for typing than the X2 but the quality on the 700T could have been a bit better. Maybe we will see a higher quality KB for sale in the future.

5. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes Steve, and I can honestly say my usage is medium to heavy rather than light. For example a couple hours of solid video editing and playback with some office programs open is still giving me 5 hours plus before ı get the 10% battery remaining notice. To be honest, I was really surprised...I was thinking I would be plugging in the power cord after 3 or 4 hours max.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. PePsiMaX

PePsiMaX Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

have you made some benchmarks on the SanDisk 64GB SDXC card ? I am extremly disappointed with the poor performance that I find with this card on both of the Envy X2 SD card readers. Altough I have checked review on the Sandsik MicroSDXC car that show that it can go up to 44Mo/s in reading and 15Mo/s in writing, the best that I have (with atto benchmark) is 23Mo/s in reading and 9Mo/sec in writing (exFat or NTFS). When I copy a large file (8Gb) from the integrated SSD drive to the MicroSDXC card speed copy is around 8Mo/s.

Do you see same results on your side ?

7. jimmy

jimmy Pen Pal - Newbie

My take on the Envy 2 after about a month of ownership.

Pros

- Aesthetically pleasing - nice solid build
    - Dual OS - I could list this as a pro and con. It still has taken me some time to get used to but this is exactly what I've been looking for in a machine. Running tablet like apps while having the ability to to lightweight work on the machine (Outlook, remote desktop, business productivity apps)
    - Battery life - Seems to hold up quite well. I don't have specific numbers but I can go a few days without charge if i'm doing light computing.

Cons

- Performance - not terrible but not great either. There are noticeable lags or slowdowns while in tablet mode
    - Windows 8 - I've used ios and android and I have found windows 8 to not be intuitive at all. Along with that, I find myself issuing random swipe commands (chrome full screen) or switching apps.
    - Other issues - I've had some weird video issues when playing certain games (glitchy) and have had to shutdown and start the device numerous times because it wouldn't wake from sleep and most annoying is that there are double spaces entered at random when pressing the space bar.
    - Form factor / size - the tablet is just a little to big to be used regularly in tablet mode comfortably. The weight is heavier than I expected

Overall - I'm disappointed in the finished product as I had a lot of expectations for this form factor and the Windows 8 OS. I feel the product was not refined enough for production as there are a lot little issues that I wouldn't have expected. After using this for a month, I've once again started my search for a new tablet convertible as I don't think the Envy x2 is the perfect fit for me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  8. hackan

hackan Pen Pal - Newbie

Atto gives 9MB write, 23.5MB read for me, box says "up to 30MB/s"
    Copying from USB-drive gives 15MB/s at the beginning, but then decreasing to about 8-9MB/s.
    So it seems like the same results.

A hint about having Dropbox on the SD-card: It can give problems with files disappearing, I took a copy from another computer.

9. belecad

belecad Pen Pal - Newbie

I was just trying to see if the Envy X2 had micro sd or other slots. Online the hp site told me they did not, but apparently they do. COuld you explain what the X2 has, and if they can be used for extra storage?

Thanks very much.

10. PePsiMaX

Hi, there is one SD card reader in the keyboard side, and one MicroSD card reader in the screen side. It can be used for extra storage as you can find 128Go SDXC cards or 64Go MicroSDXC cards, but it is pretty slow though.

11. belecad

belecad Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this. I tried it last night with an older SD card and the machine completely froze. Any ideas? Thank you for your help!

12. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

The Samsung 500T1C and the Asus TF810C have specs that include accelerometer, proximity, gyroscope, etc. BUT, I haven't been able to find any such specs for the Envy X2. Does anyone know what specs the Envy X2 has?

Thanks, Jim

13. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question regarding the charging of the tablet from the dock: can you disable the charging (maybe through a supplied HP program) ?

I am thinking at this use case: using the tablet only, but when in need to type more, connect to the dock, then after the type session, disconnect. This would wear the limited cycles of the Lithium battery. Disabling the charging would help.

14. wac98

wac98 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. I'm actually waiting for my Envy X2 which will be delivered in a couple of days. IMHO, Envy X2 is perfect for those who want a sleek and long-lasting (without charging) laptops. However, perhaps it is not suitable for whose who like to play graphically demanding work including 3D games.

In contrast to recent reviews on Envy X2, I'm not that dissatisfied with the performance of the new Atom CPU. Rather, my gripe is the slow speed of the low-profile and small-sized SSD used in Envy X2. I'm wondering if it is possible to upgrade the default SSD (the reading speed of which seems to be barely above 40 MB/s) to something performing better?

In case the default SSD is not soldered onto the main board and uses some standard interfaces such as mSATA, I gather it should be quite possible. Does anyone know what kind of interface is used for the default SSD?

15. wac98

wac98 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sorry for the wrong information in my previous post. It seems like the reading speed of the default SSD in Envy X2 is about 80 MB/s, not 40 MB/s. 80 MB/s is not that bad as compared with standard laptop HDDs but surely leaves something to be desired.

I did some googlings and my hunch is that the default SSD is soldered onto Envy X2. I'm really curious about whether it is the case or not, but definitely I don't think I will try to open my Envy X2, to be delivered to me in a couple of days. I do have much dexterity.

16. PePsiMaX

I would be very interested to see the inside of the Envy X2,especially for the screen part. I guess that the 64Go drive is soldered onto the motherboard, as it seems to be eMMC (embedded Multi-Media Card), which is far slower compare to Msata SSD drives.

17. funkymagi

funkymagi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi hackan, could you please share where you found the matte and clear screen protectors for sale? Thanks

18. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Trouble in paradise...

So, after six weeks or so, I still really like the Envy, but there are some niggles that are irritating me.

1) Occasional lock-ups that require a hard reboot - i.e. hold down power for 5 seconds and restart. I actually think what's happening is that the device isn't hung, but rather has stopped responding to input meaning that the power button isn't being acted on. There have been a couple of times when, while I've been working, it's suddenly stopped responding to absolutely every input method - touch, keyboard, mousepad, volume buttons - but the cursor has still been flashing in the app I'm in. I think this is the same issue - it's only when the screen is off you've got no way of turning it on to ascertain that it hasn't locked. I installed an alleged BIOS update (balls of steel after what that did to the Samsung I had!) but it didn't seem to update the visible date of the existing BIOS, so I assume that was pointless.

2) I was deluding myself in saying that the keyboard and trackpad is on a par with a MacBook Air. Keyboard is mushy in comparison. Trackpad is awful in comparison and often seems to stop responding to gestures requiring a dock/undock.

3) I wish it was smaller. 11.6 inches is too big for a tablet. Now the other devices are finally making their way to the UK market I find myself wishing I'd waited. The Acer Vivo Smart ME400 looks more my sort of thing. 10" and, it seems, better battery life in tablet mode. Mind you ar £399 I may well end up getting one anyway... :D

19. PePsiMaX

Hi,

Regarding the occasional lock-ups, I have seen these kind of complains in forum thread for all the device that use the Atom Z2760 and CloverTrail platform .. See for example :
    Iconia w510 - Acer Support Community for Acer W510
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/54322-vivotab-tf810c-stability-issues.html for Asus tf810c
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/54202-500t-those-freezing-issues.html for Samsung 500t

I guess that we need to wait for Intel to improve the drivers for the platform.

20. wac98

wac98 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Loccy,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Envy X2. I'm still waiting for my Envy X2. I'm just notified that it will be delivered tomorrow. Keyboard thing is fine for me but the "occasional lock-ups" seem to be quite irritating. I hope HP can clear up the bugs sooner or later. Are they known to be responsible enough?

The most favourite part of Envy X2 for me is that it runs Windows 8 without a fan. I'm really sensitive to the existence of fans. On the other hand, there is no point in denying that we are sort or beta-testers of the new Atom CPU with Windows 8. I suggest you wait one more year for yet another version of Atom CPU, "Bay Trail", which is alleged to be at least twice faster than "Clover Trail", which is used in Envy X2. I believe that "hybrid tablet" market will become rapidly mature in a couple of years to come. It might be an idea to wait a bit more until the fruit becomes ripe.