HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

No blue screen here. Perhaps you should rma it?

Well, you shouldn't feel rapped (whatever that means). You got it brand new really early on, right? The reason we got it for a lot less is we waited till there were sales and special deals. Trust me, I was eyeing this thing for months waiting for the right opportunity. When staples had that sale thing with an additional $75 off making it $525, that was when I got it. My boyfriend needed a new computer for college, and after he kept using mine he decided he wanted this exact thing. Does everything he needed. One time we went to this local electronic store and there was one last one. Open box item. Since it was both an open box item and their last one (the box wasn't pretty but the device itself looks pristine), we talked the manager to lower it down to $450 plus tax.

So, don't feel bad about the price you got it from. The advantage you have over us is you can get it at any time you want. Again, I was eyeing this thing for months. So did my boyfriend.

2. paulbram

paulbram Pen Pal - Newbie

I still really like mine, although I am having one issue.

I'm not sure what I did, but at some point it started to become much more unresponsive than it was initially. I probably messed it up somehow, not sure. Anyway, I figured this would be a good test for the "Refresh my PC" feature in Windows 8. Unfortunately, it didn't go well. Here's what I did.

1. Tried to run it, it complained about needing 11 GB or so of free disk space, which I didn't have. I was a bit annoyed by this since I thought that was the purpose of the recovery partition!
    2. No worries, I'll just remove SkyDrive temporarily and free up space.
    3. Tried again, and it started working. Then it hung at 73%. I let it sit here all night.
    4. In the morning, I gave up and rebooted. It displayed a message stating that the refresh was unsuccessful, nothing else.
    5. I tried again, and again it is telling me I need to free up space?!?
    6. After digging, I determined that there was a ton of temp\hidden files on my C drive that was the remains of a failed recovery!
    7. Deleting this was a MAJOR PAIN! I had to take ownership of the files etc. Very challenging, but I eventually deleted the temp files
    8. Tried the refresh again, and now it simply fails instantly with: "There was a problem refreshing your PC" "No changes were made."
    9. That's it, no additional information. I've checked the event logs, etc. Nothing.

At this point, I guess I might try the "reset" and hope that works better, otherwise I'll have to find some other way to reinstall Windows.

All that said, this is mostly a Windows issue and nothing really specific to the HP. It really performs mostly perfectly, but I guess I feel like the refresh SHOULD just work, even if it isn't actually necessary.

3. Techdude2000

Techdude2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

For those that are using a 64GB micro sd card in the tablet, which brand and model number do you have and have you had any read/write issues with it. Also, what file system does it have on it and did you reformat it to something else?

4. bksmithers

bksmithers Pen Pal - Newbie

I picked this SanDisk (SanDisk-Ultra 64GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Card-SDSDQY-064G-A11A) at Best Buy when it was on sale. Just popped it in and started using it.

5. Techdude2000

How does it do, is it fast?

6. bksmithers

bksmithers Pen Pal - Newbie

7. hackan

hackan Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I wrote what memory card I use earlier, but it's also a SanDisk 64GB (SDSDQUA-064G-U46A according to the Swedish store I bought it from, class 10). Earlier I used NTFS, but after I had some troubles with the computer I did a full reset of everything (computer and format of microSD-card) to exFAT. The transfer speed (for NTFS) should be stated earlier in this thread, I haven't tried again with exFAT.

Also, I finally got around buying a screen shield, from Amazon Japan. It's matte (anti-glare), cost me about 1.300 JPY, and although I weren't able to fit it without any bubbles I would consider it to be quite good (considering it's my first time trying to apply a screen shield to a display larger than 4").
    I'm not sure if this link works good, but it's manufactured by Groove Gearz: Amazon.co.jpF yGroove Gearzz“ú–{HP ƒ^ƒuƒŒƒbƒgPC ENVY x2ê—p ‰t»ƒXƒNƒŠ[ƒ“ƒV[ƒ‹ƒh ”ñŒõ‘òƒ}ƒbƒgiƒAƒ“ƒ`ƒOƒŒƒAjƒ^ƒCƒv: ƒpƒ\ƒRƒ“EŽü•Ó‹@Ší. I did see another one for a lower price, not sure if it's the exact same model though.

Since I'll have to send the Envy X2 for repair when I get back to Sweden, I'll try using this screen shield until then, and if I think it's good I'll buy a new one to replace it with (in case the display is replaced). So far, anti-glare is quite nice.

Another thing: Has anyone bought the HP Care Pack? I'll probably get the 3 year with accidental coverage (not sure what it's called exactly, but it's the most expensive one). So far I only have problems which were there from the beginning, and should be covered by the warranty. Since I'm using the Envy x2 every day, and using it to replace my larger laptop for everything except file storage, I think it could be a good thing just in case.

Finally, I'm actually trying some ("just for fun") development for Windows Store App on the X2, since it's the only computer I have which runs Windows 8. Visual Studio 2012 Express, and mostly Blend, is a bit slow on the machine but with patience it can be done. A remote desktop connection to a more powerful computer would probably be preferred though, but that's not something I have access to right now. I did some logo design using Inkscape (I wanted vector-based files) on the touch screen, but an active pen/stylus would be preferred. I hope it'll be available soon, since my current logo doesn't really improve my not-so-impressive design skill.

8. Techdude2000

Thanks for the responses. The reason I asked, is I got a deal on a Samsung 64 GB card and it works great with the adaptor and plugged into the keyboard, but it is awful in the tablet port without the adaptor. When copying files to and from the card to the SSD drive it actually drops the transfer rate to 0 bytes/sec and then picks back up to 8-10 MB/sec. I copied MOV files to it and if I play them back with Quicktime, the video takes a long time to start and then stalls after a minute or two. Sometimes it hangs up the whole computer and I have to do a restart to get it going again. I don't have another micro sd card to try, so I have no idea if this is a problem with the card or the X2. It's formatted as exfat from Samsung. I tried reformatting in NTFS and it acts up even worse.

9. afripino

afripino Pen Pal - Newbie

so...still no word on a fix for the wifi issues?

10. Techdude2000

I haven't had any issues with WIFI. I've had this one since 4/2/2013 and it has the drivers that are current on HP's web page and seems to work fine as far as connecting and signal level goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.