HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techdude2000

Techdude2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to disagree. My X2 can be in sleep and lose 0% battery for at least 12 hours. I do put it into airplane mode before sleep. The weird thing about my X2, is if I shut it off, the dock battery will drain 15-30% overnight, but nothing if it's in sleep mode.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

Then why not share all your settings with us?

I haven't been paying attention to my battery drain, because it literally lasts me the whole day plus more.

3. Techdude2000

Techdude2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not really anything special, I have the wifi card disabled as far as waking or turning on the PC, I let the system shut off the wifi to conserve energy and I use airplane mode before I put it into sleep. I guess I also don't leave any apps running when I put it to sleep. That's it.

4. rkennedy01

rkennedy01 Pen Pal - Newbie

@goodintentions,

Actually, that's not correct. Windows 8 supports the new "Connected Standby" mode of the Intel Clover Trail Atom platform on which the Envy x2 is built. This extremely low power mode should allow the tablet to "sleep" for days or even weeks without recharging. It's called "Connected" standby because the device will, from time to time, power-up slightly just to check for email, IMs, or similar communications updates.

Regardless, I've decided to back-out my Envy config to the bare OS and then re-apply each app or update until I find the culprit. Already I've managed to get 4+ hours of "Connected Standby" with zero battery drain. So clearly one of the apps I installed before was waking the tablet and interfering with its ability to go into the deep sleep mode it was designed for.

My first suspect is Skype (Metro version), followed by Next Generation Reader. Both run in the background, however, I had assumed that a Metro app would be well behaved with regard to power issues. Alternately, it might be something I installed to the desktop. Java is notorious for constantly seeking updates, so removing that bit of legacy bloat might also have had an impact.

Bottom Line: I've now established my baseline with a "vanilla" Windows installation (4 hours, zero battery drain). It's now time to work through the suspect list one by one until I see the charge start dropping when in "Connected Standby" mode.

I'll post my findings once I've finished with the investigation.

RCK

5. goodintentions

That's great to hear!

6. goodintentions

By the way, after searching entire internet for a dedicated forum to this particular device and failed, I decided to create one myself. I've owned 3 different brands win8 tablets and half a dozen different android tablets. This really is a nice device to have.

HP Envy X2 Forum

7. jsherm101

jsherm101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I regret returning my x2 for a Lenovo Lynx :(

BTW, here's some good news you guys will appreciate. This came from PR via HP back in late March

8. Scottee28

Scottee28 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just purchased my X2 4 days ago and this exact problem is happening to me. If I lay tablet portion on the bed the touch portion stops working, if I touch the sides or back of tablet with my hand, touch returns. The problem does not happen when its docked. I am wondering if this is some battery saving feature? It happens every time I set tablet down on a non conductive material as Ruined states. Anyone else? I just finished installing my apps and programs but am still in return window for another unit.

9. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, but there's definitely something odd about a drain rate of 5-7% per hour. It should be 5-6% per 16 hours. And "Connected Standby" sounds to me like Microsoft's version of "Deep Sleep".

There's a good presentation by Pat Stemen, which he gave at BUILD 2011, where he describes Connected Standby.

One point that he makes is that Microsoft's own performance and power consumption tests require that a device capable of Connected Standby has less than 5% battery drain over a 16 hour period in Connected Standby.

You can generate a battery report by the following command in Windows Command Prompt (you may need to run it as administrator):

powercfg /batteryreport

The battery report is quite comprehensive, and includes the battery life estimates

I've run the battery report on my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2, and I see that if I just have the WiFi enabled, then I get 5% - 6% drain in a 16 hour period. However, if I also have the WWAN and NFC enabled, then the drain is running at 11% - 13% in 16 hours.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. bksmithers

bksmithers Pen Pal - Newbie

Hope this is real and not vaporware. I don't think I'll be holding my breath. Lack of good stylus support is the only thing I'm disappointed in, but the price I paid for mine on sale ($525) helps make up for it. I'm assuming that even if it does come, it will be a less than stellar experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.