HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkennedy01

rkennedy01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll check that out. BTW, is there no way to edit posts on this site? Because I wanted to go back and correct my previous to read "backgroundTaskHost.exe" (the correct process name) but couldn't figure out how to do it. Seems like a rather large oversight for a public discussion forum. :confused:

RCK

2. Techdude2000

Techdude2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, at the bottom of your original posted window there should be an edit button.

3. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

My headphone jack in the keyboard dock is a lot softer than the headphone jack on the tablet. I've tried everything from upgrading the drivers to resetting the system. Can anyone confirm that you experience this as well? I already sent this tablet in for warranty claim. Don't really want to send it in again if this problem is inherent in this model and there's nothing they could do.

Oh yeah, any word on the active stylus yet?

4. Techdude2000

My dock volume level and tablet volume are almost identical to my ears. Does yours have the "pop" at the beginning of the sound if you play a windows sound or a mp3 file while plugged into the dock? All of the ones I can find in the retail stores has it. Hopefully HP will wake up and fix this issue. Mine has always been about the same level from either headphone jack. Tell them you want to swap out the dock, they should have those in stock.

5. goodintentions

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad it is a defect in my x2 then. Chatting with them right now. Will push for an RMA.

The thing that is frustrating with chatting with them is they assume you're an idiot. I should really tell them I work with technology.

6. rkennedy01

Still seeing major battery drain issues on connected standby. Lost 7% from the tablet portion in a little over an hour. I've now resorted to uninstalling *every* 3rd party application from the machine - both Metro and native Win32. Very frustrating. I hope I can get to the bottom of this before I resort to wiping/reinstalling Windows 8. :(

RCK

7. goodintentions

I haven't paid too much attention to my battery life. As long as it lasts me the whole day, I'm happy, which it does.

Remember that this is v1.0 of windows 8. There are bound to be bugs.

8. rkennedy01

My concern is that the drain is occurring while the tablet is asleep/suspended. Losing 5-7% per hour when the unit is in "connected standby" mode (i.e. the new deep sleep mode that's supposed to last for weeks) means arriving with a dead laptop after a long flight or car ride - even when the unit was never used during the trip.

This is VERY SERIOUS and has me wondering if I should keep it or return it while I still can. :-(

RCK

9. Techdude2000

Have you tried putting it into airplane mode to see if it's an app using the internet?

10. goodintentions

This would be my 3rd windows 8 tablet/laptop hybrid. I previously owned the Samsung and asus vivotab ones. Sold them and kept the x2 because I thought the x2 has the best build quality.

Trust me, this is a windows 8 issue, not a tablet specific issue. No matter which machine you get, you will still get this issue.

The issue is this. With windows, there's no such thing as "deep sleep". You're thinking of iOS and android. With windows, there's only screen off, sleep, and hibernate. In our current version of windows, there's no hibernate option. The reason is this. If you play around with the advance option, you can get your tablet to hibernate everytime you close the lid. I wouldn't want my tablet to hibernate every time I close the lid. And in this version of windows 8, there's no option to make it hibernate after a certain amount of time that has passed by during sleep.

This is a completely new design with memory management by Microsoft. There are bound to me bugs like this one.

What you can do is turn off your tablet completely if you think you're going to not use it for a while. I don't know about your envy x2, but mine starts up in less than 7 seconds, which is plenty fast for me.

If you still feel that this is a major setback for you, then yes return it. But I guarantee you every windows 8 tablet will be like this. We just need to wait for Microsoft to hammer out the issue and give us true deep sleep option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.