HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. jamesstringer

jamesstringer Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure how good your consumer protection laws are in your country, but I managed to return my Envy x2 for a full refund 6 months after purchasing it, due to the headphone jack problem that is present on all units, maybe a good option to get your money back and spend it on a Haswell product. I was interested in the next gen Atom chips but the devices are all shipping with 2GB of ram still. I ended up getting a Surface Pro 2 since its super quick and has a digitizer, do miss the Envy X2 keyboard dock though!

2. RaymondPJR

RaymondPJR Pen Pal - Newbie

My advice would be to wait even though I didn't take that advice myself. That being said, the problems I'm having are nothing compared to what users on other devices are having. The update doesn't take that much space and even if it did you should be able to delete them.

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS likes this.
  3. jtsmall

jtsmall Scribbler - Standard Member

The Split is currently Ivy Bridge and you will loose the excellent battery life of Clovertrail in exchange for the performance, which will improve with Bay Trail. However still less than the Ivy Bridge i3.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

4. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

My aforementioned links & now additional links indicate Haswell hence the " Up to 16" + hours of battery life. Also for +$70 can be configured at HP with a " 13.3-inch diagonal Anti-glare Full HD LED-backlit IPS Display (1920x1080) Touchscreen+$70.00 " :thumbsup: :cool:

Here's a BestBuy review without the upgraded full HD screen:

The best combo..tablet and computer
    5.0 out of 5.0
    Posted by: jez77
    from new jersey on 10/10/2013

What's great about it: LONG BATTERY- 14 hours w/keyboard Usability, features, inputs, quality, IPS display, no fans with I5 Haswell, quite

What's not so great: no 1080p but still an amazing display.. not much 1080p content out there anyway, heavy with keyboard

First I have owned every tablet ipad, android (transformer, nexus 10, galaxy tab and windows (surface rt, pro, yoga 13, 11s with haswell)

The HPx split that is on display at Best buy is the 3rd gen and i3 processor, LCD display. This reboot is all brushed metal (Mac book clone) with the new 4th gen intel processor which adds more batter life and does not require a fan with an I5 processor. Also this version as an IPS display which is brighter colors, larger view angles and clearer display.

This HP SPlit x2 has 2 USB 3.0 ports, full HDMI out, and SD card slot. Also this has a micro SD card slot on the tablet itself. The keyboard can also be opened to add a 500 GB hard drive (kit costs 50 dollars).

The system is solid a bit heavy with the keyboard, but the heft allows the tablet not to tip over and be top heavy (looking at you Asus Transformer)

With the 128 GD SSD, I5 processor and 4 GB of ram (can also be expanded with some work) this table screams. Zipping around web pages, games, apps and rebooting this HP is an amazing 13in slate and laptop.

It also has Beats audio and it is very loud. Holding the tablet and watching a Netflix moves is like having a theater in your hands. Then you place it on the magnetic hinge and you have a full keyboard, additional battery, and multitouch trackpad. Quick charging and you can charge the tablet and keyboard separately (also both have headphone jacks). The keyboard always powers the tablet so you 13in screen is always at 100% (about 8-9 hours). Then about double that with the keyboard battery (this is where it is better than the surface pro and yoga laptops)

I ran Burnout Paradise City on it, with HDMI to my TV and it was well performing gaming machine (no tablet can do that). No fan noise and it did not get that hot. Then with chromecast you install Chome and cast tabs to your TV for movie watching.

Granted the screen is big and this tablet is not fitting in your back or jacket pocket. But if you are looking for a tablet and laptop that do it all with no limitations on space, apps, ports, functionality, features, usability etc then this is for your for under 900 dollars!! Oh and just wait for Windows 8.1- this baby is going to go from a 10 to an 11."

I love the HP Envy x2 form factor but I regularly hit its memory limitations & a 13" full HD screen with better speakers sounds awesome..:thumbsup: :cool:

5. Willy330ci

Willy330ci Pen Pal - Newbie

The only reason I'm holding to HP, and specifically Envy x2 is its Form Factor, and battery life, If I will upgrade to a 13" form factor, then HP would be my last option, Sony Vaio Pro 13 it is ;) not a tablet, but who wants a 13" Tablet anyways?

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have now discovered some problems after it has slept. Turning it on these things happens a) screen becomes 1024 x 760, b) turns on but remains black, c) flutters before lock screen stabilizes.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

7. josetheman37

josetheman37 Pen Pal - Newbie

Do Any of you have the latest split 2? I configured this baby with the following specs:

Windows 8 64
    4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4202Y Processor(1.6GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)+Intel® HD Graphics
    13.3-inch diagonal Anti-glare Full HD LED-backlit IPS Display (1920x1080) Touchscreen
    4GB DDR3 System Memory
    500GB + 64GB SSD
    No Additional Office Software
    Security Software Trial
    3 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    No Internal DVD or CD Drive
    Standard Keyboard (black)
    Webcam and Microphone
    802.11 AC WLAN and Bluetooth®
    Price: $1019.56 including taxes, student discount and 10% off, and shipping. The only thing that I don't like is that there's no back-lit keyboard available. What do you guys think? I had the Y2pro but I returned it. Thanks.

8. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

We'd be very interested to hear about your experience with it. I'd likely get the same config but definitely with 128GB SSD (also actually debating whether I even want that non-SSD unless possibly it can easily be turned on & off as I've gotten used to the silence & stillness of SSDs already & could easily hook up my WD My Passport 2TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive when needed which is far less often with my many micro SDHC cards & cloud storage without that constant added weight+expense however minor) but we do want to hear from owners. Also assuming this keyboard is indeed like my HP Envy 2 the high contrast black keyboard with white print reflecting the screen's light doesn't make me miss backlite keyboards much (though options are good) but if you really must have a backlit keyboard than you could check out HP's Spectre 13t-h200 x2 PC if you don't mind the 4+ hours less battery life according to HP specs ("up to 16 hours 15 minutes" vs "up to 12 hrs") & no additional storage options & +$220 increased base price tag. You can compare their hybrids here.

Let us know how it goes..:thumbsup::cool:

9. josetheman37

I haven,t ordered it yet, but I noticed a couple of things: I'm almost 100% sure that this machine has lots of plastic, which is a bummer. Also, I'm assuming that the SSD goes of the tablet side and the 500GB hard drive goes on the keyboard side correct? So it transitions between these two? and maybe it's slower when it's using the spinning drive? I think that I'm going to hold off on this one, and check the one that you mentioned. Thanks.

10. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Quick answer:

"I haven,t ordered it yet, but I noticed a couple of things: I'm almost 100% sure that this machine has lots of plastic"-

No plastic build in this updated HP Split 13t-g100 x2 PC rather "Brushed metal" likely aluminum just like the great looking HP Envy x2.

"Also, I'm assuming that the SSD goes of the tablet side and the 500GB hard drive goes on the keyboard side correct?"

Here your assumption appears correct (according to a BestBuy reviewer below).

"So it transitions between these two? and maybe it's slower when it's using the spinning drive?""

I'd expect that when the tablet is docked the 500GB HD would show up as another available HD (like as if an external HD was plugged into the keyboard base), the SSD which is far snappier would remain the primary HD that the OS runs off.

"I think that I'm going to hold off on this one, and check the one that you mentioned. Thanks."

Sure compare the HP Spectre 13t-h200 x2 PC if backlit keyboard is more important to you than more battery life & an option to put in a more local storage in the keyboard dock that is only listed as an upgrade for the HP Split x2..

Long answer:

I'm going to check it out at my local BestBuy this weekend, hopefully the one on display is indeed the new one.

According the the BestBuy review I previously posted this new one HP Split 13t-g100 x2 PC (not the plastic build HP Split 13t-m100 x2 PC) is all brushed metal (looks like a bigger sibling of the Envy x2 I have that is the best looking pc I've ever had-I personally think it's nicer looking than any MacBook etc)

The Dimensions (W x D x H) for HP Split 13t-g100 x2 PC are listed as 13.4 x 8.5 x 0.44 in (tablet); 13.4 x 8.5 x 0.7 in (tablet and base) with weight 2.18 lb (tablet); 4.39 lb (tablet and base)

Compared to HP Envy x2 listed at 11.93 x 8.12 x 0.76 (tablet and base) weight 3.07 lbs

Compared to the plastic build HP Split 13t-m100 x2 PC listed 13.38 x 8.5 x 0.44 in (tablet); 13.38 x 9.05 x 0.92 in (tablet and base) with weight 2.36 lb (tablet); 4.89 lb (tablet and base)

Lastly compared to the HP Spectre 13t-h200 x2 PC with backlit keyboard (but 25% less battery than HP Split 13t-g100 x2 PC ) 13.4 x 8.5 x 0.44 in (tablet); 13.4 x 7.2 x 0.7 in (tablet and base) 2.18 lb (tablet); 4.39 lb (tablet and base)

While I would definitely consider a backlit keyboard if available for the HP Split 13t-g100 x2 PC I prefer the 25+% extra battery life (listed at "Up to 16 hours 15 minutes" vs "Up to 12 hours" for the HP Spectre 13t-h200 x2 PC & lack of backlit keyboard doesn't bother me much in the HP Envy x2 again because of the high contrast keyboard reflecting the screen light & the Envy x2 has a comparable battery life [(listed at Up to 7 hours (tablet only); Up to 12 hours and 15 minutes (tablet and keyboard)] to the HP Spectre 13t-h200 x2 PC & I have actually wished I had more battery in the Envy x2 at times as good as it is ~25% more would be nice.

Here's a BestBuy review without the upgraded full HD screen with your concerns addressed with underlines:

The best combo..tablet and computer
    5.0 out of 5.0
    Posted by: jez77
    from new jersey on 10/10/2013

What's great about it: LONG BATTERY- 14 hours w/keyboard Usability, features, inputs, quality, IPS display, no fans with I5 Haswell, quite

What's not so great: no 1080p but still an amazing display.. not much 1080p content out there anyway, heavy with keyboard

First I have owned every tablet ipad, android (transformer, nexus 10, galaxy tab and windows (surface rt, pro, yoga 13, 11s with haswell)

The HPx split that is on display at Best buy is the 3rd gen and i3 processor, LCD display. This reboot is all brushed metal (Mac book clone) with the new 4th gen intel processor which adds more batter life and does not require a fan with an I5 processor. Also this version as an IPS display which is brighter colors, larger view angles and clearer display.

This HP SPlit x2 has 2 USB 3.0 ports, full HDMI out, and SD card slot. Also this has a micro SD card slot on the tablet itself. ]The keyboard can also be opened to add a 500 GB hard drive (kit costs 50 dollars)

The system is solid a bit heavy with the keyboard, but the heft allows the tablet not to tip over and be top heavy (looking at you Asus Transformer)

With the 128 GD SSD, I5 processor and 4 GB of ram (can also be expanded with some work) this table screams. Zipping around web pages, games, apps and rebooting this HP is an amazing 13in slate and laptop.

It also has Beats audio and it is very loud. Holding the tablet and watching a Netflix moves is like having a theater in your hands. Then you place it on the magnetic hinge and you have a full keyboard, additional battery, and multitouch trackpad. Quick charging and you can charge the tablet and keyboard separately (also both have headphone jacks). The keyboard always powers the tablet so you 13in screen is always at 100% (about 8-9 hours). Then about double that with the keyboard battery (this is where it is better than the surface pro and yoga laptops)

I ran Burnout Paradise City on it, with HDMI to my TV and it was well performing gaming machine (no tablet can do that). No fan noise and it did not get that hot. Then with chromecast you install Chome and cast tabs to your TV for movie watching.

Granted the screen is big and this tablet is not fitting in your back or jacket pocket. But if you are looking for a tablet and laptop that do it all with no limitations on space, apps, ports, functionality, features, usability etc then this is for your for under 900 dollars!! Oh and just wait for Windows 8.1- this baby is going to go from a 10 to an 11."

Again I love the HP Envy x2 form factor but I regularly hit its memory limitations (occasionally its battery limits) & a 13" full HD screen with better speakers sounds awesome..:thumbsup: :cool:

11. josetheman37

Thanks for clarifying! After visiting many PC manufacturer websites, I have come to the conclusion that this is the best configuration that I can get for the money currently. Not only that, no one comes close to the battery life that this machine offers, except apple, but I am currently invested on windows due to MS Office. Best Buy is supposed to carry this machine, and I want to mess with it in person first. I want to make sure that the keyboard and touch pad can work for me(college student). I did look at the older generation already at the mentioned store and felt that the design was clunky, but I can live with that after finding out about the dual battery characteristics. One more thing that I want to experience for myself would be is this: how it would feel on my lap when I'm on my couch, due to the lip that exists underneath this laptop, since the reviewer above mentioned that it could be uncomfortable. Once I get those couple of small things out of the way, I will most likely order this puppy. :)

12. josetheman37

I know that I'm over-thinking this but I wanted to ask you guys what think about this: let's say that I fill up the 128GB SSD( which would take me some time). What happens after that when, let's say that you want to use the tablet side? example: you have word, and want to create a document. So, does this PC start using the spinning drive after the SSD is full? If that is the case, would it slow down and use more battery? Or does it use both dirves at the same time somehow? I'm assuming that it uses the SSD to store information needed Immediately and it uses the spinning drive to store the rest of the stuff. Thanks!

13. josetheman37

I have narrowed down my search to these two: Which one do you guys think it's a better fit for a college student, with cisco classes, for web browsing, word documents, and other light stuff?:
    HP Split 13t-g100 x2 $1251.15(with 3 yr accidental protection).

Windows 8 64
    4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4202Y Processor(1.6GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)+Intel® HD Graphics
    13.3-inch diagonal Anti-glare Full HD LED-backlit IPS Display (1920x1080) Touchscreen
    4GB DDR3 System Memory
    500GB + 128GB SSD
    Security Software Trial
    Webcam and Microphone
    Estimated ship date: November 19, 2013
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HP spectre 13t-3000: $1329.95(with 2yr accidental protection)
    Windows 8.1 64
    4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U(1.6GHz,3MB L3 Cache)+Intel® HD Graphics(For 4 GB Memory)
    Onboard 4GB DDR3 System Memory
    13.3-inch diagonal Radiance Full HD Infinity LED-backlit Display (1920x1080) Touchscreen
    256GB SSD
    Free Upgrade to 1-yr McAfee LiveSafe service™
    4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Backlit Keyboard
    Webcam and Microphone
    Estimated ship date: November 21, 2013

14. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Besides checking it out in BestBuy where the base configuration (with 128 GB SSD) is currently selling for $829.99 with easy exchange-return policy if dissatisfied I'd recommend you not go with your originally posted configuration of only 64GB SSD as that's what we have with the HP Envy x2 & "Up to 30GB of hard drive is reserved for system recovery software" although that can technically be freed up you'd want to maximize the utility of the SSD that helps make this so fast. The aforementioned BestBuy link lists "Box provides an additional 50GB of Cloud storage" for lifetime free according to reviewers & if more local tiny storage is wanted 128 GB SD cards can currently be had for ~$75 & 64GB microsdhc for tablet side for < $50.

From HP Config page:

"Hard drive Store your applications, data, digital music and digital photos on your hard disk drive

You can choose one of the options below:

128GB SSD

BENEFITS: A Solid State Drive is designed to decrease seek times, reduce noise, lower power and heat generation, and provide a faster start-up compared to traditional hard disk drives. Note: Actual formatted capacity may be less. Up to 26GB of capacity reserved for the system recovery software.

500GB + 64GB SSD [+ $40]

500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive + 64GB SSD For hard drives, GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 30 GB of hard drive is reserved for system recovery software.

500GB + 128GB SSD [+ $80]

500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive + 128GB SSD For hard drives, GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 30 GB of hard drive is reserved for system recovery software. "

Regarding the lip comfort issue, we have this on the HP Envy x2 & obviously is not a problem on a table but at certain angles is annoying on the lap so I spread my legs out as it isn't 100% of the bottom or just use a small pillow & problem solved. My old laptop that could get very loud & required fans to keep it cool would get so hot in the summer that it would actually shut down until I got this laptop cooling pad. Those days are over fortunately & cool silence & the versatility of 2 in 1s are finally here..:cool: Hopefully when I check it out it will indeed be the HP Envy x2 upgrade I've been looking for.

I will ask BestBuy if the full HD screen (+$70) can be gotten through them as their base price is $50 less than HP but I won't hold my breath. The standard "HD" screen is still functional but for my upgrade I personally would be willing to pay the $120 over BestBuy. I don't think I will get any other config upgrade frankly. For more storage there is cloud, local with sd & microsd cards & for huge local storage my USB 3.0 2TB WD My passport. Also a reviewer said there is a $50 kit if really desired later. I'd expect spinning HDs to use more battery as well compared to sd cards & cloud storage. I just saw your other post the OS will ask you where you would want to save a file whether it be a local HD or local sd type card or could also be saved to the cloud (regardless of whether the SSD is full or not). BTW I rarely use Office anymore rather https://www.google.com/search?q=google docs but there is also https://www.google.com/search?q=Office in the cloud .

Let us know your thoughts & if you still have questions.

15. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

I really prefer the ability to detach the screen to have that walk around screen+full PC+chill tablet so I would not consider the HP spectre 13t-3000 but there is the HP Spectre 13t-h200 x2 PC here that I'd consider for its built in backlit keyboard but ultimately I prefer the >25% more battery life of the HP Split 13t-g100 x2 PC ; All of HP's hybrids can be compared here.

BTW if you feel you really need a backlit keyboard at times there are small bluetooth backlit keyboards ~$50 on Amazon here.

Let us know where your head's at-how it goes..:cool:

16. josetheman37

Thanks for answering all my questions! So do you think that I should just forget about the 500 GB hard drive, since it might deplete my battery? I wonder if you could install an aftermarket SSD on the keyboard? If it comes to it, I could also install a flash card (hopefully it doesn't portrude outside of the case).

17. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

I did stop by a local BestBuy today that just got some in stock but it was in a closed box so they couldn't show it to me & they said it could go out on display tomorrow to match the pic ad (see pic here). They did have the last generation out on display & next to it a space for this new generation waiting to be filled so I hope it will be out there tomorrow or if not this week.

The last generation looked like a prototype to me & did not appeal to me so I hope this new generation will impress me as much as the build quality of the HP Envy x2 does but with more power & more impressive screen-speakers. 13.3" is indeed significantly bigger & heavier than the 11.6" HP Envy x2 but the new generation is lighter-thinner-smaller so I look forward to checking it out in person.

Unless you regularly are editing video I don't really think you need that built in 500GB hard drive, there are 128 GB sd cards previously linked (I'll bring an SD card with me when I go to see if it sticks out significantly but I don't expect it too), 64 GB microsdhc card in the tablet that do not stick out & 50 GB free lifetime box storage-other free cloud storage & compact fast USB 3.0 external HDs like my 2TB WD My Passport available in a range of capacities & external Wi-Fi hard drives.. That BestBuy reviewer did mention the HD could be added in the keyboard aftermarket if need be. I'll post back when I check it out & I encourage you to check it out too but feel free to bring up any concerns-thoughts-questions..

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  18. josetheman37

Thanks again! I will definitely check it out at my local BB. BTW, I already discarded the idea of getting the notebook that I mentioned before, because people don't even think it's an IPS screen. I also agree that the current model out on display looks pretty crappy(plastic and cheap), since I messed with it too previously. I just need a little hands on with this PC and hopefully wont be disappointed. I'm being picky because this will a $1000+ investment. With that in mind, the price point, versatility and phenomenal battery life are all looking like this is worth the $.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  19. josetheman37

I modified my shopping cart and this is what I got: Split 13t-g100 x2 $1,169.55 (taxes and shipping included) with three year accidental insurance

Windows 8 64
    4th generation Intel® Core&#8482; i5-4202Y Processor(1.6GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)+Intel® HD Graphics
    4GB DDR3 System Memory
    128GB SSD
    Security Software Trial
    Webcam and Microphone

Estimated ship date: November 19, 2013

20. BobVA

BobVA Pen Pal - Newbie

1st, thank you all for your posts. They have been very helpful.

I ordered the following on Friday after talking to HP sales rep on their site.

Product details Status Qty Extended price

Envy 13 x2
    Product number: E3A11AV

&#8226; Windows 8 Pro 64
    &#8226; 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4202Y Processor(1.6GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)+Intel(R) HD Graphics
    &#8226; 13.3-inch diagonal Anti-glare Full HD LED-backlit IPS Display (1920x1080) Touchscreen
    &#8226; 4GB DDR3 System Memory
    &#8226; 500GB + 128GB SSD
    &#8226; No Additional Office Software
    &#8226; Security Software Trial
    &#8226; 3 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    &#8226; No Internal DVD or CD Drive
    &#8226; Standard Keyboard (black)
    &#8226; Webcam and Microphone
    &#8226; 802.11 AC WLAN and Bluetooth(R)

Estimated ship date: November 19, 2013 1 $1,035.67

HP 3y ADP 3d Onsite Envy NB HW Support
    Product number: UN016A

1 $182.68

HP dvd600s DVD Writer
    Product number: H4K59AA#ABA

1 $62.02

Summary of savings

&#8226; EPP
    &#8226; Instant discounts:
    &#8226; $50.00 Coupon
    &#8226; $30.00 Save $30 instantly

VA tax: $71.34
    Shipping & handling: Free

Total: $1,351.71

After reading a number of boards, I was curious if the tablet would connect wirelessly to the keyboard and one reviewer stated that it would but you had to have the 802.11a/c option to do so. I asked this question of the HP sales rep when I ordered and was told this was correct. Who knows though, could just be he wanted to make the sale (would have bought it anyway). Will be interesting to see if it does.

Mine is suppose to ship on the 19th of this month, so should have it NLT the 25th. Looking forward to getting this, although I have not used Windows 8 and not particularly looking forward to the learning process (old guy).

Will update.

Bob

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013