HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

It's better that they delay its release, if that means the Pen will be fully-baked and bug-free.

Seeing how Lenovo has screwed up the USB port on the TPT2, I imagine how messed up that device would have been if it had been released in late October with Win8. The OEMs' executives seems to have unrealistic expectations when defining their release dates. Products are coming out with too many bugs. They need to give Engineers an extra 6 months to finish the hardware and software, or, perhaps, hire more Engineers.

And they also should have fewer products in their catalogs. This is a generalized mess. Look at Samsung, for example. They have so many different phones and tablets in the market, that they end up putting a heavier burden on their Customer Service and releasing devices with half-baked drivers...

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

I take your point. And also your point about the bewildering array of model numbers. I'm still trying to match up the changing list of Thinkpad 2 model numbers for Western Europe with the (completely different) set of model numbers quoted here by Dutch retailers.

And I suppose it's a basic fact of life that, these days, the early adopters are inevitably going to be the product testers. That doesn't seem to get completed in-house any more. It's completed in our houses instead.

3. gessner17

gessner17 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can someone verify you can stream netflix on the tablet in HD? I was thinking of replacing my laptop with one and this is the only function I am questioning for my needs.

4. The Innocent X

The Innocent X Pen Pal - Newbie

5. Oiuyp

Oiuyp Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!

iI'm from sweden so my english is not so good

I have a hp envy x2 and i like it alot. But i have 1 problem. I bought a micro SD card 32gb. but i cant get it to work. somtimes it works for 2-3min but usually it dosen work at all. i have 3 orther mcro sd card at 2gb and they work just fine. and if i put the micro sd 32gb card in a adapter so i can put it in the ordinary sd port in the keybord it´s works fine. and on my other pc´s the 32gb works.

Have anyonels tried to put in a big sd card in the screen part? and is´t working?

I talked to HP sweden but they knew nothing about the computer.

6. cmh

cmh Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same question. My Envy x2 is on order and I want to purchase a micro SD card but wonder if there is a maximum size that is supported or speed requirements (UH1).

7. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

See post # 55 on page 6 by uzbeckin in thread "HP ENVY X2 up on HP.com". He says a 64 GB microSD card works.

Regards, Jim

8. cmh

cmh Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Jim. The Sandisk 64gb UHS-1 MicroSDXC (30 mb/s) seems to only like a exFAT format. Does Envy x2 support this or should we go with SDHC for compatibility or the Sandisk Extreme Pro (twice the cost) for speed?

9. e-schreiber

10. gcoupe

Fairly comprehensive review, and one in which I can see past the reviewer's prejudices (it doesn't play games!) to form my own opinion of whether it fits my requirements.

BUT - I did miss any mention whatsoever of the active digitizer and stylus. That's the information that I'm desperately looking for vis-à-vis the HP Envy X2.

11. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

In each and every review of this device I've seen, along with those with similar hardware, reviewers seem to be assessing it as a computer that happens to have a detachable screen, rather than as a tablet with an attachable keyboard.

They put it up against higher powered, higher specced ultrabooks and, low and behold, it loses. No shinola, Sherlock. This is not an ultrabook. It is a tablet that can also run (certain) x86 apps, with an attachable keyboard that makes such apps more practical.

Every time I see someone reviewing this device mentioning Steam, I groan. Talk about missing the point.

Meaningful comparisons would be against the Asus Transformer Prime, the Surface RT, even the Pro when it arrives. But against dedicated, fully specced laptops? It's like reviewing a Smart car and then criticising it because it doesn't break the 100mph mark on a motorway.

Against a Transformer Prime? No context, I can actually get some work done on this. Against a Surface RT? I can get work done that requires things other than MS Office. The Pro, I worry about size and battery life, if the Samsung 700T I briefly had was any indicator.

I am using the X2 as my main non-office machine at the moment. Java dev work in NetBeans primarily, associated webby parts of the app eg HTML and light image work, plus the inevitable Office bits. While it's not lightening quick it's good enough. Then, when on the road I can yank off the keyboard and kick back with a movie, read a magazine or comic, or waste time on the interwebs in comfort. That lot basically covers my bases.

I think the trouble with these hybrid devices is that no-one quite has the right perspective yet to be able to assess them. After a few weeks with the X2 I honestly can't see me ever buying another non-Intel tablet - and I guess that means Windows 8 as a given.

12. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Didn't someone buy one of these, and had separately purchased an Atmel pen and was going to try it out? That rings a bell to me. Does anyone else remember this?

13. gcoupe

Thanks, Loccy. Now all I need is someone to review the mythical pen...

14. e-schreiber

The specialized press is specialized in moot points and false equivalencies. I've given up on the premise of a tech site writing a fair and objective paragraph regarding Tablet PCs. AnandTech is one of the few sites with intelligent reviews nowadays.

Indeed. Its Atmel Pen has already become "mythical". :)

It would be interesting to have a person who has played with all 4 current Pen technologies deployed on Win8 tablets (ie, Atmel, N-trig 4.0, Wacom and "Surface Pen") write a nice review about his experiences.

15. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, go to the thread "HP ENVY X2 up on HP.com". One person tried three pens. He couldn't get any one of them to work.

Good luck, Jim

16. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

I think he did get the Atmel working in the end - a pen from a Motorola Xyboard - but apparently it was crap in that the pen was too basic to really be able to give a fair assessment. He gave HP the benefit of the doubt in assuming that the X2 pen would be more feature rich when it arrived.

17. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had the Samsung Smart PC Pro 700T i5 128gb machine for the past month and cannot agree with your assessment. If by "built like a brick" you mean solid and strong (despite being plastic) you are right. There is some heat from the vents but definitely not uncomfortable and fan noise is usually non existent when it needs to come on. It would take a long time to dry your hands. The X2 has a small SSD drive and with the less powerful processor will obviously be cooler. I have used the X2 as I have a friend working in HP so I had it for a week before buying the Samsung. On battery life with the 700T I get 5 to 6 hours for continuous use, including video editing and playing. This is very good considering what is under the hood. When using the pen the X2 has a lot of lag.The 700T has none. Of course I have noticed there is a similar lag on the less powerful Samsung 500T. Using the keyboard on the X2 is much more awkward than the Samsung where usability is far superior. Also the 64gb drive on the X2 is miserable. After you install a few packages you would be lucky to have 40gb left for storage. In fact my friend after installing the packages she needs had an incredibly low 34gb left on her drive. Another plus for the Samsung is that (with a little care opening the case!) you can easily upgrade the SSD to a 480gb mSata drive from companies like Mushkin. This is seriously good storage capability. And of course the Samsung is a 64 bit machine compared to the 32 bit HP. The Samsung also sports a USB 3.0 on the tablet plus 2 x USB 2.0 on the keyboard where as the HP just has a couple of USB 2.0 ports on the keyboard and zilch on the tablet. Along with tiny 2gb of ram on the HP, it cannot be considered a serious machine suitable for business and pleasure. Both machines have good features but if you want a workhorse you can't beat the Samsung. If you want a lightweight, pretty and less powerful machine the HP X2 is perfect. For power Samsung really produces the goods here. The HP is an "also ran" equivalent to what is available from the general competition whereas the 700T does not have a competitor at the moment. One point though. If you compare the Samsung 500T to the X2, then the HP Envy X2 is the better option. I think to understand the market that the HP X2 is after we should consider the camera. The Samsung 700T has a 5mp camera and no flash, the HP has an 8mp camera with flash. The HP is designed for fun (like an iPad), a machine that looks nice when you pull it out of your Gucci handbag and want to take nice photos to put on Facebook, and chat with friends. The 700T is a business tablet for the serious user. The X2 is also very expensive when you compare what you get in a 700T. You pay a lot of money just to look pretty and of course some people will want that. Apples and oranges.

18. hackan

hackan Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my Envy x2 yesterday, but I haven´t had that much time playing around with it.
    I did buy a few things for it:
    64GB SanDisk microSDXC card (SDSDQUA-064G-U46A), which is now in the tablet part and seems to work. My intention is to keep Dropbox (about 15GB), media files, and perhaps some software on it.
    HP Mini Sleeve 11.6", which according to me almost fits. It is a bit tight at the zipper.
    A 16GB USB-stick for recovery.

I'm considering a screen protector also, but I haven't ordered one yet. I found a store that sells both matte ones and clear, but not sure how the quality is. Has anyone ordered some kind of screen protector, or is that not necessary?

Now I'm just waiting for the pen to be available.

19. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member

Its the typical biased press cherry picking the required scenario to make Windows 8/RT devices look bad. When an RT device is reviewed Office and file management via the desktop, USB compatibility is ignored in favour of comparing screen res and app store counts. Reviews of Clovertrail tablets are loaded by installing high end games and expecting them to run the same as high powered laptop while ignoring that it run practically 100% of all other less demanding desktop software with all day battery life. I predict the Surface Pro reviews are going to focus on the price, weight and size and compare it to an ipad and declare the latter the winner due to its "ecosystem".

Tech site reviews in general are a waste of time and sadly have much more influence due to the ignorance of those who are less tech savvy and take them for their word. Only reviews worth anything are those done by users and a few sites like arstechnica.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  20. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with your comment generally Loccy, but having tried and considered an X2 and te Samsung PC Pro, I went with the 700T as it is more powerful and suitable for business. I have had this for a month now and I get 5-6 hours constant use including video editing and playing (part of my job) The Samsung is a real workhorse and not in the same bracket as the X2. However the X2 is better than the 500T.