HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidwestAC

davidwestAC Pen Pal - Newbie

On the SN the 4th digit is the year, and the 5th and 6th are the week. I went into my local Office Depot (the only store with them in stock where I live) and they went: xxx251 - so the end of 2012.

2. TechlLuv

TechlLuv Pen Pal - Newbie

How do you like the X2 compared to the Asus? I'm seeing mixed reviews on battery life some are saying it only gets 4.5 to 5.5 hours in tablet mode, battery life and screen brightness is very important to me. Last weekend I cancelled my order of the Envy but couldn't let the 100.00 coupon past by yesterday so I picked one up locally and ordered another Asus Smart online, now I need to decide which to keep but fine bad opening both knowing I will return one.

3. sequoia464

sequoia464 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have only had my X2 for a few days so I can't really comment on battery life - I know the Asus gets better life just considering the tablets, but the X2's keyboard does recharge the tablet without being plugged in to a wall outlet.

The only thing that I liked better about the Asus was the tablet size was easier to hold - other than that I prefer the HP's screen size.

I'm 60 and the eyes are a bit tired these days, the reason I got the Asus, and then theX2, was to be able to use a couple of x86 based programs. The larger screen size of the HP really helps. I use excel quite a bit for business and the spreadsheets are - for me - easier to use on the larger screen.

If all I was doing was surf and check emails I would have preferred the 10.1 screen of the Asus.

4. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is made in 2013 of early this year, back in January.

I'm really beginning to think the one I have now that doesn't freeze and no keyboard problems is a fluke. I've been in contact with others who got x2's that were made at the same time as mine and they all have the keyboard double space and letters problems.

Anyway, I'm keeping this one. Got it for 557, including tax. Can't be happier.

5. davidwestAC

davidwestAC Pen Pal - Newbie

goodintentions thanks for getting back to me with when yours was made. I'm still planning on holding out until my local stores get some newer ones in, even though I do worry yours was a fluke. Otherwise I'll have that 'what if' in my head no matter what. In the meantime, I still have to decide on a potential alternative :p

6. Amplificator

Amplificator Pen Pal - Newbie

The one I sent back with keyboard problems had 303 as 4th, 5th and 6th digets.. so 3rd week in january this year.

7. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

I've tried the Samsung one, the asus one, and the hp. The hp envy x2 is light years ahead of the other two. There's just no comparison.

And compared to the surface, I know the surface sports an i3 core. But again, the experience just doesn't compared to the envy x2 at all. Especially now that I have one without the bugs, I can't really recommend any of the other ones, not when the price for the x2 is so much better than all the others.

8. ChaosChris

ChaosChris Pen Pal - Newbie

Well guys good news, I am pleased to say that I went all weekend without a lock up or without sound issues. So happy. Also last night I messed around with the keyboard options in windows 8 to see if I can prevent the double spacing. Not sure if I solved it yet but I turned off the automatic double spacing after a period. I will have to type a bit tonight to see if this by luck may fix it. This option is found under the general settings on windows 8 when you go into change pc settings. If I fix the double spacing then I am 110% happy with this device now. It ran unreal all weekend and I ran the crap out of it. I still do not see anything else out on the market that con compare to everything this does with the nice built quality. I looked again at the surface when I was at a store and it just does not add up to this after using the Envy. The screen looks so tiny on the surface now too.

Anyways will let you guys know if I fixed the double space or not.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The surface display is small and high resolution. I think that was the point of the device. I owned one for 30 days and loved it. The speed is addicting. It's really hard to compare an atom device to an ICore. They live in different universes. The lack of a digitizer for the near term and, possibly, at all, makes the cost of the envy less of a value IMO. You can get an Acer for less with touch and a keyboard.

The only reason I didn't keep my Surface was an incompatibility between our W7 office equipment and W8 due to a lack of fresh drivers. The design/build is solid, innovative and probably the wave of the future. To stay compatible at work, I had to grab a W7 tablet for now, until the software catches up with the new OS.

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I thought the 'double space' issue was every time the space bar was pushed.

I was always taught to double space after every period in my formal writing classes. You don't want to violate the rules, do you? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.