HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChaosChris

ChaosChris Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree the typing double space can not be lived with. Specially if you use yours for professional email and work. I am already sick of having to slow down my typing and re-check everything before I send it. There should be a keyboard setup with option like my other hp laptop but there is nothing on here.

As for the keyboard its weird because all 3 of my envy's have came from different stores. 1st one and 3rd one had the big enter key, 2nd one had the small. lol oh well. I kind of like the bigger one since you can't miss it as much.

2. Amplificator

Amplificator Pen Pal - Newbie

Could it be that one of them was imported from another country that use a different size for the Enter key?

Mine didn't have the issue where the sound driver stops working or the device locks up.. the only thing that mattered for me was the keyboard issue :/

3. paulbram

paulbram Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder, do you think your sound issues might have something to do with a particular app? Maybe Slacker? I'm not saying an app should be able to break your sound, I'm just curious since I've never seen a single issue with my sound. I've also never had mine lock up. Really, it's just the keyboard issue for me. They fix that, I'm happy.

4. ChaosChris

No its not an app problem since i didn't not install slacker radio for the first while to see if that was a reason for it. But like I said the sound failed during normal web browser surfing. Even when the keyboard popped up on the screen in tablet mode i noticed the clicking was gone. If you guys google envy x2 sound issues it will show posts all over the hp forums that this is happening to everyone. I don't see how it is possible we all have the same apps installed to cause this. Also HP has admitted to me twice while in support that they are experiencing high complaint problems with a multiple problems concerning speaker/sound issues. Its too bad because I do love this machine but come one now, how do you argue with all 3 Envy's doing the same thing and all from different stores. Other post around the net also have had people test store models to see if the problems exist in them and sure enough same issues.

The double space problem with the keyboard only seems to happen if your a really fast typer. Slower typers are not experiencing this at all. I am a real fast typer and all three envy's add double spaces like crazy just like a few others have said on here. Either way HP is running out of time to fix these issues before they have alot more going back.

5. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

My first envy x2 had all the problems that's been reported (keyboard and sound). Went into staples and exchanged for another one. Holy cow, this one is perfect. No double spaces, no double letters, no sound problem, been extremely stable. I'm very pleased with it. Got lucky there.

6. davidwestAC

davidwestAC Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

I've also had keyboard/space issues on two different envy x2 units. It's been about a month since I returned my units, and I desperately need a new laptop now.

So I was wondering if anyone had moved on, and whether or not they were happy. I type a lot, and I type fairly fast. I'm a programmer :) Lots and lots of typing. I've gone through all the other reviews on amazon of people who have had negative experiences with the x2, and haven't yet seen someone giving a good vote on another convertible, so I figured I would ask you guys :)

Hp Envy x2: $600

Asus Vivo Tab 810C + Dock: $940 (ouch)

Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx + Dock: $750

Acer Iconia W510: $700

Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T: $650

Lenovo Thinkpad Twist: $750 ( a little different, I know)

When you dig into the reviews of quite a few of these products, you notice people mentioning keyboard issues as well, so I'm kind of stuck. There are some x2's in stock at my local Office Depot, so I can always give that another go. Any recommendations, convertible or not, are appreciated.

7. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm an engineer, so I type a lot as well, mostly reports, communication emails, etc. I mainly use my tablet/laptop hybrid for quick calculations and communications.

I was fortunate enough to have obtained an x2 from staples that doesn't freeze or give double spaces or double letters. The first one I did. I went and exchanged it for another one at staples, and the 2nd one was fine.

I've tried other hybrids out there. But none seems to be measuring up to the envy x2.

I don't understand why the x2 isn't more known. My local best buy doesn't even have any.

8. ChaosChris

Well I finally returned all of my envy's except for the one that is working the best. No lock ups now and the sound seems to be working as of the new hp update yesterday which installed a new driver for the realtek sound. So far so good. Cross my fingers. Double space problem still needs to be fixed. So hopefully soon. I do love this tablet and glad things are starting to look up with some patches.

9. davidwestAC

davidwestAC Pen Pal - Newbie

goodintentions, I am really tempted to try the x2 again, and hope that it turns out better. Is there any chance you know when yours was made, so I could stick to getting one made at that time or newer?

ChaosChris, I too have noticed that there are quite a few updated drivers for the machine, which is great. Honestly I think I could put up with the issue for a month or two, but I couldn't for the life of the device.

10. ChaosChris

Not sure when mine was made, does it say on the box label? Ya hp seems to be rolling out drivers like mad right now. My sound has been great for a second night in the row. Once again no freezing issues and no sound cutting out. I notice too almost everyday are windows updates too right now. So I am checking like 3 times a day for hp and windows updates lol. I sure hope the keyboard issue can be fixed.

What kind of engineer are you? I am a Civil Engineer so yes I use mine to type lots too so this double spacing is killing me right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.