HP Envy X2 owners' discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Loccy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. cmh

cmh Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm currently considering the Surface Pro, where I can still use the 64gb microSD I bought for the Envy 2x. I played with the Surface RT and it seemed much more responsive than the Envy x2 (at least my Envy x2) and that is what I wont, but with full Windows 8. Should I go for the 128gb SSD or, with the microSD, will 64gb be enough? Is the Surface Pro the best choice here?

2. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Best choice? I don't know. I do think the Clover Trail Atom has problems that may or may not ever be fixed. I have given up on Clover Trail and will wait for the next crop of tablets that use the new Bay Trail. As for the Surface, I use a tablet/laptop in my lap, not on a desktop. I don't think the Surface can be used very effectively on a lap. The Surface Pro at least has an i5 or i7 cpu which should eliminate the problems people are having with Clover Trail. BUT, battery life will most likely be 4-5 hours.

So, maybe your best option is to wait and see.

What I did was to buy an Asus VivoBook at Staples for $499. I has all of the touch screen/touch pad features of the tablets except stuff like accelerometer, etc. Since it has an i3 CPU, I have none of the problems of Clover Trail. I am getting valuable experience with Windows 8 touch. Battery life for me is about 4 1/2 hours. And the low cost makes it a "throw away" when the next crop of Windows 8 tables comes out.

Regards, Jim

3. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

It sounds to me that cmh got a bad one. My Envy is markedly better than my Asus Transformer Prime at picking up a wifi signal. Would have expected better from HP in terms of support though, which is worrying going forward.

On another subject, I am now convinced the lockups being experienced on the Envy at least, if not all Clover Trails, is to do with Bluetooth, possibly NFC. I haven't had one since disabling both.

4. itsthemetho

itsthemetho Pen Pal - Newbie

I was really hoping that the port (power and keyboard connector) was the same as on the HP Elitepad 900. I really would like the USB tablet accessory for my HP Envy X2.

Unfortunately the HP Elitepad 900 accessories states 70 pin connector and I count about 40 on my HP Envy X2 connectors. Lets hope the HP Elitepad 900 stylus I ordered works on my HP Envy X2. Fingers crossed!

5. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

Do the newest chipset drivers and BIOS (30.01) fix any of the issues of the tablet?

6. wac98

wac98 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sound issue after waking up from the sleep has been resolved now.

I installed the latest BIOS just now. The issue of dysfunctional sound system after resuming from the sleep has been completely solved to the best of my knowledge. I tested not only the built-in speaker (of Envy X2) but also a USB speaker (Logitech). They wake up as they should be after resuming from the sleep.

My two gripes after using Envy X2 for about have been the following:

1) Sound system leaves something to be desired. I would not say that the sound system is satisfactory. This is really the main gripe of mine because I'm much more fastidious about sound quality, which Envy X2 does not deliver at all. I think they should have used bigger "speaker unit" because it seems to me the built-in speaker lacks low frequency (bass) part.

2) The resolution of 1366 x 768 was harder for me to be accustomed, I must say. After having been using only high resolution devices (one 2048 x 1536, one 1920 x 1080, one 1920 x 1200, the coarsely looking letters on 1366 x 768 seems to be less-satisfactory-than-expected experience. But, after switching from Internet Explorer to Firefox, the latter of which looks better on 1366 x 768, I'm almost content with Envy X2.

I'm satisfied with Envy X2 in overall, except the poor sound quality, which I really mean. Having said that, I think Windows 8 App is still incomparable to that of iOS.

7. wac98

wac98 Pen Pal - Newbie

after using Envy X2 -> after using Envy X2 for one week

They wake up as they should be after resuming from the sleep. -> They wake up as they should after resuming from the sleep.

One more gripe : We have not seen its stylus yet, let alone its performance.

8. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

I read this review, that states:
    Has anyone experienced this? If so, is it a high pitched sound?
    I would be interested in the charger's two states - when it is charging the dock / tablet, and when the device is 100% charged and gets the power straight from the charger.

I am very interested in this tablet, especially for being 100% silent.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

itsthemetho, Please post as soon as you have the Amtel pen. Can't wait to hear if it works! I am holding off on buying one of these until someone can give a review on the stylus and inking quality.

Thanks!

10. Amplificator

Amplificator Pen Pal - Newbie

Same for me. Really interested in knowing how well the pen performs (if it even works) with the Envy X2.

If it works it's well it is probably the best choice of a pen-enabled tablet given that the others have problems with the dock connector. (Samsung 500T and Asus TF810C)