HP Envy Note 8 SD Card Not Working

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by achuang, Oct 11, 2016.

1. achuang

achuang Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got a new Envy Note 8, but after a few days of use, I noticed the SD card stopped working. I suspect it might be the Anniversary Update, since that's the only major change that had happened lately. However, I had purchased a second one because it was on sale, yet the second one stopped working as well. I suspect it might be a driver compatibility issue, as right after I had updated the second one, it would work after disabling and re-enabling the SD storage controller in Device Manager, but after a few restarts, that had stopped working completely.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

2. achuang

achuang Pen Pal - Newbie

For reference, I am using a 128GB SanDisk MicroSD card that works fine in other devices. It is in NTFS format.

3. WindowsTabletFan

WindowsTabletFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately, the HP Envy 8 tablet seems to have problems with faster, larger capacity (> 32Gb) SD cards. I had to try several different ones before I finally found a Samsung 32Gb class 6 card that would remain connected (both before and after installing Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, so this appears to be a hardware or driver problem).

For more details, see the following post on the HP discussion board:

HP x2 210 (Product Nr. L5G94EA#ABD) microSD disappears

Incidentally, is your Envy 8 still working fine with the latest Windows 10 Anniversary build? After a recent Windows update my tablet completely freezes about a couple of minutes after I log into Windows so I ended up having to return my tablet to HP for a replacement. According to HP's web site, Windows 10 Anniversary Edition isn't officially supported on the Envy 8.

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm using an 64gb SDXC card on mine and it's been working perfectly well. Before that though, I tried a 100gb one that I picked up on Amazon and it kept acting up, disconnecting and reconnecting. The AU is working perfectly well on the device too. I noticed that legacy apps like chrome, full office suite and vlc media were slowing the device down heavily, so I did a complete reset, removed all the HP bloatware and have only modern apps. I couldn't be happier with the device now.

Sent from mTalk

5. WindowsTabletFan

WindowsTabletFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats on finding a 64Gb SDXC card that works! Unfortunately, my 64Gb Sandisk Extreme card randomly disconnects. Thanks for mentioning that AU works fine on your Envy 8 and for the performance tip.