HP Envy 8 Note - One Month Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bishop, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Desktop office please. Is there really no 4GB option? My GN5 has 4GB.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

OK - will load desktop office for my buddies

Besides, its all I have this morning as my SB has shut down (AGAIN) as it has for the last four days - bad dock?

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  3. dstrauss

ok - installed and running - OneNote is as responsive as Mobile version, bur more cluttered screen on smaller form factor. Outlook running well; Word as well; not as snappy as mobile versions, but not draggy.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. dstrauss

Its still all i have at moment as MS has been in remote control of my SB for an hour now - ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

soh5 and Bronsky like this.
  5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Good to know you have a "reliable" backup note taking solution for onenote :)

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Yes, it is actually nice to have a "spare tire" so to speak (even if it is a compact spare)...

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

So as of right now dale... Is it a keep or return for you?

8. dstrauss

Too early to tell. It went into sleep this afternoon, and only about 4% drain - but it was as slow as molasses in January after coming out of sleep, requiring a reset. Unfortunately, my limited spare time is being eaten alive by the big iron (SB disconnecting from dock routinely).

9. dstrauss

A few more questions to answer:
    • 2gb RAM and 32gb eMMC is the only SKU - I've got Office 2016 loaded and have 13.6gb left on C
    • Have installed a 128gb mSDXC card and pointed all files to it - so far so good, and not a significant speed drop to the eMMC (that is very user subjective, however)
    • At 82% when I put it to sleep at 9:30p, and at 7:45a it is at 75% - and that was "sleep" - hibernation disabled
    • Screen is very responsive to both touch and pen - but pen is slippery on the screen. My gut tells me a screen protector might resolve this, but I just love the clear bright screen
    • To me it IS a bright screen - some have claimed it is dim, and it won't burn your eyeballs out, but it is very good (usually use it at 50% but prefer 75%)
    • I've only been taking notes in OneNote (no fancy clipping or annotating yet) but for that it is every bit as responsive as my SB Clipboard
    • Pen - I am very impressed how precise and no lag - except for needing a "softer" nib, it is an excellent pen - far better than any of those Atmel etc. types typically used on 8", I'd say as good as the SP3 N-Trig
    • This is nearly the perfect size - enough room to write and a screen large enough to not need a microscope to read your emails.
    • I have not done Netflix or other media as of yet - not sure I want to tax it in any way
    • I have used it with Texture to read latest NatGeo issue - small text but very readable thanks to the high resolution screen
    • ABOVE ALL - this is a companion device - no way it would ever be a primary device, but you could get a lot done in a pinch - for me it is a moleskin replacement on steroids - it truly is a Windows iPad Mini
    A few minor irritants:
    • Pen - it is same color as SB, just smaller, so easy to mix them up on your desk when in a hurry - then you wonder why your pen quit working on your HP or SB - because you grabbed the wrong one
    • Pen - no place to park it - have ordered an AVN8 case with loop to see if that works, if not may attach loop directly to tablet
    • mUSB - I know it is ubiquitous, but this design screams for a USB-C port
    • Plastic back really needs protection - at least a good skin (Skinomi brushed aluminum - the Surface touch)
    • VERIZON ONLY - well, actually that's not just a minor irritant - IT IS FREAKIN INSANE
    I'm still holding my breath and praying that Panos can sway Satya to a n 8" Surface Mini. It really needs the following to be a must have:
    • 4gb RAM and 128gb eMMC (see, I didn't even demand SSD)
    • USB-C (Thunderbolt 3 would be overkill)
    • SMALLER BEZELS (or better still more screen; 3:2 screen (or even 4:3 - 16:9 sucks)
    • iPad Mini-like smart cover - for protection and simple stand
    • Siloed pen preferred, but how about just a physical clip to attach pen - MAGNETS are not the answer
    • GSM LTE

Bronsky and Bishop like this.
  10. dstrauss

IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG

FYI - although not a perfect fit, pretty good (you'll need to cut little hole for charger port) - Amazon Moko Asus VivoTab Note 8 Slim Folding Cover

Attached Files: