HP Envy 8 Note - One Month Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bishop, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No - delivery is scheduled for Wednesday - I was too cheap (and not in immediate need) to pay for fast shipping.

2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I am awaiting your review since your tastes are like mine when it comes to PCs. I am looking for a dedicated notepad. Coupled with a 20,000,mAH battery, this should be great if it performs well in one note.

I am planning on just keeping the basic office apps and onenote on the machine and nothing else. No other apps. Its either this or a later Dell Venue 8 with Wacom AES. I hear they fixed the audio with firmware.

3. dstrauss

My plans are the same, but I have read in a lot of places that the HPEN 8 battery life is less than desirable. I'm hoping the simplicity of mUSB charging will give me more life in more places. In fact, I'm toying with the idea of only loading the tablet versions of Office to see if that calms battery life as well.

4. dstrauss

Hey Bishop, how about a six month update...keep me busy while waiting for mine.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have to admit that I've looked at these more than once. I'd be interested to see what you think. Although, I have recently discovered Samsung's "Write on PDF" app which has let me keep my timesheets on the GN5 (I've redacted this one a bit). I previously used my M80TA for that function.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    kneehowguys and soh5 like this.
  6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I might end up going with the SP4/8"/GN6 route.

Its either the 8" or GN6. I just need a pocket companion which allows me to scribble notes into one note. Sick of hearing the fans!

7. dstrauss

@Bronsky and @soh5 : I am beginning to wonder if this is not so much "how many devices" but as a species of the old saw "The best camera is the one you have with you when you need it."

Maybe the best note taking device is the one you have with you when you need it - that GN6 may be coming my way this fall...

soh5 likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That was certainly the case last weekend when I was trying to get my bets down on the Derby. Having the note in my back pocket (or in Mesosphere's case, his cargo pant's side pocket) was a god-send when I needed something to scribble past performance on so I could decide on my exacta pick (a winning one I might add). I just love having this thing to capture brief notes and to do items when I'm thinking of them. The thoughts go away so fast these days and are hard to recapture.

soh5 and Bishop like this.
  9. dstrauss

Just be glad you have thoughts to capture - some of us are not so lucky...

Bronsky and soh5 like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Funny you should ask...
    • Still a huge fan of the Verizon LTE.
    • It is still my preferred Windows machine for short trips.
    • Subsequent HP and Windows updates have resolved my annoyances with touch and battery drain during sleep.
    • I've seen suggestions in other places the slow boot time may be associated with the micro sd card I'm using for extra storage space. I just haven't been bothered by it enough to run benchmarks to figure it out.
    • Microsoft does keep it in stock on the floor in its retail stores, and the price is down a bit.

"So what?," you ask:
    • Would I buy it again? Yes, for the right use case it's the best 8 in. tablet with an active pen I've found.
    • I looked into the updated 8in Dell tablet, but the hardware/QA problems made me stay away.
    As Paul Harvey used to say, "the rest of the story":

I changed jobs recently and had to reinstitute a physical book for Bullet Journal use while I work through getting a new team in place and deal with some acquisitions. In full disclosure, I tried to use the HPEN8 in place of the physical notebook first. There are some UI limitations to Universal Windows version of OneNote that impeded productivity. I've shared several suggestions with Microsoft.

I've even played with the new iPad Pro 9.7 inch and Apple Pencil. It's getting close to Wacom goodness -- but doesn't overcome the other limitations of iOS and the Apple ecosystem vs. Windows in handling files, etc. Samsung's Galaxy Tab S Pro running Windows 10 is a great form factor, but they appear to have reneged on delivering the active pen they promised.

My new definition of the Grail:
    • Thickness/weight of iPad Air 2
    • Screen size between iPad Air 2 and Surface 3
    • 64GB SSD, 4GB RAM
    • Wacom or Microsoft active digitizer stylus
    • 12 hour battery life
    Further affiant sayeth not, today.

kneehowguys and soh5 like this.