HP Envy 8 Note - One Month Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bishop, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I also chose the update option. It gives you an option on which apps to keep or to keep nothing at all. I re-downloaded the support assist. Though, it didn't show that there were new drivers available for my device even though I found that there are and mine are obsolete/built-in ones.

2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks like we won't be seeing a mini surface .
    Are we all doing well with this machine?

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, clinging tight to it and hoping HP upgrades it. Started slowing down considerably and taking forever to load any program, but I found out the HP support solutions framework was hugging resources and keeping the CPU continuously at 100%. Had to disable it and things are back to normal.

I've asked this before, mine takes a whole 38 seconds to boot and I'm pretty sure it wasn't this way when I first got it. Is anyone experiencing the same long booting time on theirs?

Sent from mTalk

4. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I"m running the insider updates. It serves it purpose for me although I do find it to be slow to load programs and browse the net. Mainly I use it for (1) OneNote and (2) review pdf manuals. I keep it in my back pocket when I'm on job sites. I'd buy it again. Was considering changing the modem so I can use it with T-Mobile but wasn't worth the effort.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately, I've mostly stopped using it. Just too slow and buggy. Anniversary update introduced more problems. Screen rotation stops, modem stops, area of screen becomes unresponsive to touch. Have to reboot to fix. Can't use it for a day without reboot. Compared to my old iPad mini 2nd gen, which I can just pick up and use without a thought, the E8N is not trustworthy. The pen is much better than the 1st gen Dell V8P, but the E8N doesn't hold up. So, I've installed Ubuntu Linux on it (where a lot doesn't work), making it an experimental platform for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. nnthemperor

Planned on using it as a note taking device, but couldn't resist the urge to load up chrome and full office on it. Also got VLC media player installed.

So, do you have the 38secs boot up time problem?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Not using it as much as I would like to because of its very slow speed. Despite of that, it has served as my backup note-taking device which totally makes it worth while to have. Not to mention that I still very much prefer wacom handwriting results than my SP4s. I just wish it was a bit more faster.

8. ships10

Yes speed is not one of its virtues.
    But a good companion device.

9. nnthemperor

Feeling the lag a bit more lately. Can't just open and use it without feeling the urge to smash the dang thing. Spent there better part of yesterday resetting and cleaning installing windows. Removed all the stuff from HP. Hoping things get better especially without a replacement available.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. ships10

Keep us updated.

nnthemperor likes this.