HP Envy 8 Note - One Month Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bishop, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dbsjrinco

dbsjrinco Pen Pal - Newbie

How can this tablet update to WIN10AU with the limited storage space on the device. Update requires 20GB and even with no downloads, extra programs etc, only about 8GB is free. Have not seen anything online about utilizing the micro sd space to help with the OS upgrade.

2. JazzJackRabbit

JazzJackRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Meh, just do a fresh install instead of an upgrade. Load up WIN10AU image on a DVD or USB stick and do a fresh install. It's not difficult at all.

FYI there is currently manufacturer refurb selling on ebay for $155 shipped. At that price it's definitely worth it over Chinese tablets.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Better to store your apps on SD card, but not before formatting the card to NTFS. My only regret was not getting the MS store signature version that's without all the junk software HP loads up on the device

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my EN8 today! Can you guys suggest things I could do to improve my tablet experience?

5. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

If you still haven't updated to Win10AU, try performing the update through Win10 Media Tool. It won't require you to have 20GB free and you end up having the option to do keep nothing which will free up more space. I did my update this way and I ended up having 20GB free of 28GB before deleting the previous version of windows.

6. dbsjrinco

dbsjrinco Pen Pal - Newbie

How did you connect the external media to the tablet? With a usb to micro-usb adapter without being connected to AC power? Was there a problem with the BIOS in booting from it?

7. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't connect any media to the tablet. When you use the Win 10 Media Creation tool, you have an option to upgrade your device or create a copy for another pc. Choose the upgrade your device and it will go through the update without needing 20GB free of space. In my update experience, it failed the first time but I didn't worry because both my laptop and other tablet experienced failure in updating as well. I tried for a second time and it worked great after.

8. nnthemperor

I want to clean up some of the programs HP preloaded on the device, but not sure which. I wonder what programs those of you who bought the MS signature edition has on your device.

9. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the 5009 model from ebay but I got HP instant note and the other app when I got it. I updated through the win 10 media tool and I did a clean update which deleted all of the HP pre-loaded apps. As for programs, I have CCleaner, Office 365 suite, Drawboard PDF, VitaSource Bookshelf, Kindle, and Reader.

10. nnthemperor

Thanks. I updated the same way, but chose the update option. Guess I should have done a clean update. Was afraid of losing the touch and pen drives. So the HP support assistant isn't necessary?