HP Envy 8 Note - One Month Review

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bishop, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

One month Review:

Use Case:
    • Drive to OneNote as daily quick list/scratch pad
    • avoid carrying Moleskine, index cards, post-its
    • 2-3 day trips without Surface
    • using MSoft Universal KB; I did not buy the [insert your adjective] HP keyboard accessory
    Apps:
    • App Store versions of OneNote, Office, Evernote, Outlook
    • the only desktop application I installed was Firefox

The Good:
    • The screen has great color and pixel density, the glass makes it feel less flimsy than the AVN8
    • The pen performance is better than on the AVN8 Wacom; fewer tails, good around screen edges
    • Just the right thinness, weight and balance
    • Good processor speed for routine tasks (I don't game with it)
    • Verizon LTE capability is great; no more untrusted wifi spots or burning phone battery as a hotspot
    • All for less than I paid for the AVN8 almost 2 years ago
    The Annoying:
    • The 6 hour rated battery life is an upper end for constant use on wifi
    • The battery life while running LTE cellular is more like 4 hours upper end
    • One off pen; can't use older Wacom capable pens
    • HP still has some fine tuning to do with the touch drivers
    • It can take almost a full minute to boot from a dead stop
    • Exhibits the same battery use during sleep problem like other W10 devices
    • Windows Edge page resolution is quirky when in portrait mode
    • You can't find the thing in a retail store to show anyone
    Conclusion:
    This thing is doing what I bought it to do. It couldn't completely replace my Surface (think regular laptop use case), but gets high marks for portability and efficiency. Makes me think a 5.5 in Surface phone with a pen could be too small.

It's a keeper for me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. UpstateScott

UpstateScott Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the extended-use review Bishop and comparisons to the AVN8.

Do you have Verizon already or did you get a plan specifically for the Envy Note 8 (are we going to abbreviate this to EN8?) ? I'm not Verizon and was wondering how the dedicated date plan worked (cost, committment) if that is what you use

I will by typing a lot and have read good things about the HP keyboard but it sounds like you really dislike it. Is that because you already had the MS Universal or have you tried the HP keyboard? I'm considering that keyboard when I order as I think the slot isn't a bad idea but is it worth the premium and size?

I agree about the availability. I can't recall a product that has had such an odd rollout. I guess they haven't provided review units as none of the usual suspects (Engadget, CNET, The Verge, Liliputing) have had anything on it since the announcement in early October. I did see that Microsoft just started carrying a signature-edition version in their stores and that will be what I go for. I work at a college and can get take advantage of their ten percent education discount.

Here is the link at Microsoft - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.331152700 . It has a slightly different model number (5009) than other links I've seen (5002 for the tablet, 5003 for the tablet/keyboard combo)

3. Bishop

Glad to.

I already had a Verizon shared data plan, so it was $10/month for this device to share the same data limit.

Three reasons. First, I have the MSUFK and like it. Second, my use case was small light and portable which the HP full size for this unit is not. Third, I couldn't find the thing out in the real world to type on it before I bought it; and the only SKU available was bundled together.

Thanks for the link. I wish that had been available day one. I've had great experiences with the Signature Editions.

4. Bishop

FWIW:
    I use the ASUS VivoTab Note 8 Versa Sleeve to carry the HP Envy 8 Note in. It sets up nicely to read/browse or type.

[​IMG]

BTW:
    You can't buy the HP Keyboard/carrier for the Envy 8 Note separately. You can only buy it in a SKU bundled with the tablet.

You also can't buy the same Active Stylus separately. Don't know why.

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you find the overall use of this tablet snappier? I find myself not so much needing CPU speed bump, but RAM instead.

I'm hesitant to get another 2GB 8" tablet, although I'm narrowing it down to this or the new Venue 8 with 4GB.

The HP 608 looks nice, but I will surely consume media and appreciate widescreen resolution on small tablets. Plus, looks like that Atmel pen isn't the best either.

6. fio

fio Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Bishop,

Thanks for your helpful review. As you pointed out poor battery, I assume that you're using a mobile battery. Then, my question is what kind of battery you're using ans what is the requirement for the battery.
    I'm still thinking if I'm going to buy this tablet or not. And other than 2GB RAM, this battery issue is the most important thing to me.

Many thanks,

fio

7. Bishop

I haven't noticed a lag. Dell replaced my Venue 8 pro pen with three different models, and I never liked the feel. I don't know what pen their new tablet uses.

8. Bishop

I'm not carrying a spare battery for it. My usage pattern is half hour bursts a few times a day. I just plug it in when at my desk.

9. Mr.Sant

Mr.Sant Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the review, Bishop! I got my own Envy 8 Note after reading your review. Note of advice for other potential buyers - the Microsoft Store version (the Signature Edition) does not come with HP Notes Hub or HP Instant Note and I haven't found a way to get those apps. I was pretty bummed when I found out I couldn't use those.

10. fio

fio Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Bishop,

Thanks for your answer. Then, I have to wait for someone's answer to my question.

Cheers,

fio