HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

1. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

I've subscribed to the HP Alert service for a long time - since I bought an original iPaq over 10 years ago (of course they were Compaq alerts back then). Tonight a got an alert email for my ElitePad with notification of updated drivers and customer advisories. The email also included links to the latest ElitePad related documents. I clicked on the "Document List" link to see if any updated docs were available. As I looked at the documents, I noticed that the pen wasn't listed anywhere. So I went to the link for the QuckSpecs which are usually very comprehensive.

And discovered the pen is not longer listed as an option in the latest QuickSpecs version (DA-14471 North America - Version 10 - March 6, 2013). As a sanity check, I went back to an older February version I had stashed on my hard drive. I found the pen listed in the Feb version. Another nail in the coffin?

I am also not having much luck actually getting the docking station. A few days ago I found two sources that apparently had it in stock. I put in an order with Newegg.com which appeared to be going well since my order was confirmed and my credit card charged. But the morning after the order I got an email that my order was being canceled because the item was out of stock. I sent their web site and it showed the dock as in stock. So i called and was told that there was an error in the system and the part was actually available. Unfortunately their system had already processed a refund for my credit card and they couldn't resubmit the order - I would have to do a new order. Not trusting them at this point, I decided to look for a new vendor. And submitted some negative feedback at one of the business rating sites.

Shortly after submitting the feedback, I got a call from a Newegg customer service rep apologizing for the mistake. She said she checked, the dock was available, and she would give me free overnight shipping. After a bit of hesitation, I agreed. Once again the order appeared to flow through the process, I got another email that my credit card was charged, and I was starting to anticipate my new tech toy. And I received another email that my order was canceled because the dock was out of stock! So now I have two credit card refunds slowly working their way through the system but no order. I'll give Newegg customer service an "A" for effort, but the company gets an overall "F" for some very shaky inventory and credit card charging practices.

The other business that showed the docking station was Insight. After the Newegg fiasco I went to the Insight website, and discovered they had jacked their price up almost $30 overnight. They now want $149 for an item with a $119 MSRP. Sigh. I want the docking station but not enough to get ripped off. So I'm going to spend some time with some advanced Google Fu to see if I can find a vendor that doesn't appear too shady that has the thing in stock. And yes, I've tried HP and they told me the same "late April" delivery date as the pen. This all shouldn't be so hard.

2. esspee

esspee Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately the dock or jacket is almost a necessity with the ElitePad. Like the pen, maybe someone should have made sure their suppliers could handle it. Goes back to my point - HP is wasting a lot of designers talents with poor, back room decisions.

3. penname

Still no joy finding a docking station that is really in stock. I found another vendor that showed the device in stock, and placed my order. Three hours later they called me and said they were all sold out before the system could update the web site. Even Insight managed to sell all theirs out despite the inflated price. The laws of supply and demand in action.

I'm just glad I managed to snag a expansion jacket a few weeks ago. Since the jacket has HDMI out I can connect to an external monitor. And with a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and some tweaks to the device settings, I have a usable docking solution. It just looks like a science fair project gone bad with cables and USB devices sprouting out the bottom of the jacket. But it works until I get my hands on a real docking station.

4. penname

I finally found a vendor that really had the docking station in stock and have shipping confirmation. Amazingly enough it turned out to be Newegg, who gave me a discount for the earlier problems and free next day shipping. So Monday I'll be waiting for the brown truck to pull up.

Before I placed the order with Newegg I called HP on my order that included a pen, docking station and jacket battery. I wanted to make sure the disappearance of the pen from the HP SMB site didn't have an impact on my order. The gentleman told me that they were still going to honor orders already in the system, my overall order was still good, and shipping was expected "early April". But about an hour ago I got the dreaded email from HP that the pen part of my order was being canceled. But the email did say that "in case there are more items on your order the pen will be removed".

So I went to the HP SMB web site to check on order status for the dock and battery. And the system now didn't recognize my order number. I came to the sinking suspicion that HP had actually canceled my entire order. In my best Don Quixote spirit I called the HP SMB store to tilt at windmills. And after a lot of checking, they said my order had in fact been canceled and couldn't be reestablished. And reluctantly confirmed that if I placed a new order, the new order date of March 15 would put me behind all earlier orders as far as shipping priority. Since there must be a huge backlog of orders for these items, that lost 16 days would probably mean even a longer wait once the early April shipments start hitting the HP warehouses and are depleted to meet the backlog of orders.

Lesson learned - don't buy direct from HP. I guess I should have learned this from earlier experiences buying the TouchPad and my wife's printer. Customer support has been much better buying from third parties and prices are usually cheaper. And the better vendors have offered some sort of compensation when they screwed up like HP just did with my order (thanks Amazon and Newegg). But since the pen had already disappeared from the vendor sites I gambled on HP and lost.

The HP SMB representative did maker some interesting comments. She said the decision to not sell the pen was due to "technical issues". And the delay getting the other accessories out was also due to technical issues. But she also said that those technical issues were resolved and large shipments of the accessories would start flowing through the system. So looking at the potentially positive side, I hope this means that HP took some time working out the technical bugs (drivers?) and the accessories will be problem free once they finally get to the consumer. And that the accessory drought will be over relatively soon.

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

This is horrible to hear about the pen. I just discovered the Revolve(or maybe the Elitepad for its battery life), and how it was suppose to having inking capabilities, but I guess not. I should have learned my less with HP when I sent in my old TouchPad in for a battery issue and it came back with an unevenly installed screen, telling me it happened during shipping. So, to be clear it looks like the pen seems to be no more, or is there an issue with qc?

6. penname

For the ElitePad the pen is no more. To quote the email "The HP Executive Pen, manufacturer part number H4E45UT on your order is no longer available and at this time there is no replacement product identified".

7. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

Ayone having problems with public wi-fi networks, like in this HP thread?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. martins2k

martins2k Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone tried to install Windows 7 on this tablet? I would really like to know if this would work...

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Clover Trail is not supported on Windows 7, I doubt you'll find drivers for the platform. If you want to stick with Windows 7 you're better served with Core Platform or an older Atom such as the n2600 (Fujitsu Q552).

10. martins2k

martins2k Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought so as well, just curious if someone still tried ;)-