HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

What I want to know is why did HP not use Wacom technology in their digitizer so that users could purchase the Envy X2 and Elitepad and have instant inking capability. My second question is why did HP release two W8 tablet products without a pen for customers to purchase. I have been a long time HP customer, but have not purchased any HP tablets for this reason. I have purchased several competing models for my company and they weren't HP. Why even release a professional tablet product without pen capability out of the gate? A huge rollout fail by HP.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

HP's disdain for the Tablet PC platform started when they announced, then canceled, then revived the Slate 500, then ultimately only produced a couple dozen units of it -- which lead to some people fossilizing between pre-order and actual delivery. On that same year, HP released the Touchpad with WebOS and dedicated huge amounts of money to promote it on the TV and Web. The device was featured prominently on HP's site, at the expense of the also-recently-released Slate 500, TM2 and EliteBook (all of which remained hard-to-find, buried under a tedious pile of clicks on HP's website). Next, HP discontinued the TM2 and put an end to their consumer-grade TabletPC division. Fast-forward a few months and you see HP release the Slate 2 with a worse CPU/GPU combo. Maybe that was Intel's fault, but perhaps HP should have skipped that CPU and gone, instead, with the Atom Z690 (Fujitsu Q550) or N2600 (Fujitsu Q552).

Last Xmas season, HP announced 3 Tablet PCs with an untested Pen technology (Atmel) and they chose to make said Pen optional, which itself is disheartening for a TabletPC enthusiast. However, to worsen things further, HP neglects to make the Atmel Pen available for purchase! (!?!?) Yes, the Pen must be bought separately.....someday, when it actually becomes available. :D This is like planting an avocado tree, then taking a seat and wait half a decade for its first fruit! The last nail HP put on the coffin of this moribund bastard (the Tablet PC) came a few weeks ago, when HP announced it would be making Android devices!

I think Lenovo, Samsung and Microsoft have s stronger commitment to the Tablet PC. Listen, I'm not saying HP hates the platform, but they sure as hell don't seem to care much about it either. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

e,
    Good points and all I will add is that there is not a "TabletPC" category to shop at the HP Store either. They are buried in the "Laptop" category and found by checking the "touchscreen" option box.

With the Atmel pen disappearing completely from the Store now it really has me concerned since we are not just talking about the Envy X2 and Elitepad but also the bread and butter Elitebook Revolve as well now! No pen for the Revolve either.

4. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

I called the HP SMB store to see if there was a problem with my order. They checked the details and the order itself is fine. But they said the estimated shipping date for the pen is "delayed until the end of April".

I just spent some time in the HP Support community forum and found the following two recent threads about the pens. Both third party hearsay, but with lack of any official word from HP I'll take information from where I can find it.

Elitepad 900 and stylus - HP Support Forum - 2462825

HP Communities - IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH ELITEPAD STYLUS ??? - Enterprise Business Community

On the plus side a couple of vendors now have the the docking station in stock and ready to ship. Going to place my order shortly. Besides the fabled golden unicorn pen of destiny, that just leaves the jacket battery on my buying list.

5. dceggert

Thanks for the information. All I can say is Oh My! Atmel demonstrated the pen (MaxStylus) just a little over a year ago but there has been nothing since. I sure hope HP knows what they are doing.

I decided late last week to wait to see what would develop out of the trio of Atmel units coming from HP. Instead I ordered another N-trig digitized machine, this time with v4 hardware. That ought to keep me busy for a while and hopefully when it is time to replace that HP's stuff will be more mature. It is too bad too because everything else about the Elitepad is great for my needs. I am just too pen centric to take a chance on that unknown tech at this point.

My recommendation to HP, for what it is worth, is to jump straight to Wacom now. With Wacom onboard (and maybe a full size USB and SD card slot) the Elitepad and Revolve would be the machines to beat!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

HP might as well close the doors on W8 tablets if they dont produce a working stylus. Sounds like they tried to cut corners and now they are paying for it. The 900 looked like a decent device too.

7. dceggert

I had ordered one of the HP Executive Pens about the middle of last week thinking that I would try it out (if and when it ever showed up) on the Envy x2 at my neighborhood Staples. I was notified today that the pen is 'backordered' and will have a significant delay. I canceled my order. About 10 minutes later I received another email from HP informing me I should order a new Elitebook Revolve and the note was telling me all the new features it has. No pen was mentioned. No, sorry, I don't think so.

I wonder if HP Marketing will come to the conclusion that there is no future in Windows 'tablets' either and cancel everything because they are not selling. Is this why the Envy X2 is being wholesaled right now at $325 off its regular MSRP? Sounds like the Touchpad all over again, eh? At least they have an Android device coming next...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  8. esspee

esspee Pen Pal - Newbie

Disappointing news. HP has a proven track record as a tablet pc leader and it is disappointing to see them flounder when the iron has never been hotter.

I cannot wait to hear them call foul of the Windows 8 market. When bad companies can't succeed they blame the market for not being there. Good companies create the market.

If you think the Windows 8 tablet PC space, where everyone is thirsting for a leader, is hard; just wait until you get a taste of the Android market with your anemically spec'ed tablet. Yeah, it is a pretty device, I will give you that. Like the ElitePad 900 - its beautiful design that misses the mark. Aiming by committee which isn't aiming at all.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I wasn't crazy about the sleeve idea but the 16:10 display was a great idea (although a 1440 x 900 display would have been nice).

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member