HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

1. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

Your charging question interested me, so I did a trial today. I left my ElitePad off the charger all day. I got it down to 24% from 8 am to 5:20 pm, with Outlook and Lync running full time, a one hour web meeting and an episode of "House of Cards" on Netflix over lunch. I closed all my open programs but left WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. running and the background tasks. I plugged in the standard 10W power adaptor and did occasional checks. It took 2.5 hours to charge to fully charge from 24%.

The IPS screen I can't definitively say. I reviewed all the information that came with the device and everything I could find from HP. Nothing that I could find came out and specifically said IPS. I see lots of third party reviewers call it IPS display but the real proof would to be see something in writing from HP. HP calls it a UWVA - ultra wide viewing angle - display and all the regular standalone UWVA HP monitors I could find on the HP site were IPS, so one could assUme...

2. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw that the microSD and SIM slot are beneath a little cover that opens with a pin. Is it flimsy? Does it affect the solid feel of the tablet?

Any updates on stability? Any annoyances? Are you using the latest drivers?

On my W500, the biggest annoyance is that it makes a high pitched sound, especially on low brightness. It's very faint, but I can hear it close, if I put my ear next to the ports and other openings. Could you please check that the Elitepad is free from noises (the charger too)?

I hope I'm not annoying with these questions. Here the Elitepad is around 1200$ (with no accessories) and the stores have really bad return policies. And some issues just don't come up in Internet reviews or when inspecting the thing in the store.

Thanks.

3. kitenski

kitenski Pen Pal - Newbie

The slot cover fits back into place once the MicroSD card is fitted so it doesn't affect the solid feel at all. Think of it like the iPhone SIM slot (i used the same tool to open it). Once shut it's flush and you don't notice it.

I've not noticed any high pitched sounds....I've used it in quiet meeting rooms with no background noise but will have a 'real' listen later on!!

4. penname

The cover for the micro SD/SIM slots is solid and does not distract from the overall excellent build quality of the case. But I've only had it open twice. Once to just check it out, and then again when I inserted a micro SD.

I never noticed any sound from the device. But I just went to the quietest room in the house and tried listening to the tablet to see if I heard anything. I heard nothing at all from the tablet plugged in or on battery, with varied screen brightness from high to low. The circuitry for the charging unit is at the end of a six foot cable and mine is usually plugged into a surge protector on the floor behind my desk. But for testing purposes I knelt down besides the charger and put my ear against it. Again no sounds but my wife caught me with my ear against the charger and is now even more convinced I am crazy.

For new devices like the ElitePad I actively look for and install the latest drivers. I have the latest drivers available, both HP and Microsoft, as of 9 am today. HP has released two updates of the Qualcomm wireless LAN drivers, a Bluetooth and a general firmware/driver update. Microsoft has released a multitude of updates, including the same two Qualcomm wireless LAN drivers.The one driver update I really want is an updated video driver. The current one is dated mid-December but HP or Intel have not released an update yet.

So far the ElitePad has been as stable as any of the other current Windows machines I've used. Which is pretty remarkable since I am always taking it in and out of the expansion jacket, swapping USB devices, and connecting in/out of an external monitor. I've only had to resort to a hard restart twice and one of those I blame on the OS not the device.

5. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

If not IPS?, usually you brag about it if it is, how are the view angles? Thanks for the info on recharging, sounds like it charges at a rate one would expect.

Funny how there are no reviews, are reviewers waiting for the pen?

6. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. penname

The HP Quick Specs show 85/85/85/85 or 170 degrees horizontally and vertically In practical use the view angle work well for everything I've tried so far.

I've also wondered about the lack of recent professional reviews of the production models. And your pen comment reminded me that I need to check on the status of my pen order.

They were quoting 2 weeks when I ordered at the end of February, but yesterday were showing March 10 estimated shipment. I just went to the HP Store, and the pen is no longer showing up for purchase. In the left pane is a viewing history and the pen shows up since I looked at it yesterday. But when I click on the link, it takes me to a long list of pointing devices and the ElitePad Executive Pen isn't part of that list. I checked my order and the Executive pen shows up but without an estimated shipping date. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. The pen isn't a deal breaker for me but I know it is for many on these forums.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The pen was available yesterday (5-Mar-2013) and I ordered one. The estimated ship date went from 4/10 to 3/18 in the last few days and dropped to 3/10 yesterday so I assumed it was now available and ready to go so I ordered one. I just checked and you are correct, it is not showing up in the store today. However, my order status is showing an estimated delivery (not ship) on 3/13. We shall see....

9. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

ElitePad has a 400 nit IPS panel.

Rick

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

You can still find the pen by searching for H4E45UT. The estimated ship timing is "1 to 2 weeks."

Thanks Rick!