HP ElitePad Owner Discussion

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by penname, Feb 9, 2013.

1. penname

penname Scribbler - Standard Member

Although it appears most here have moved on from the Elitepad 900 G1, I'm still plugging away with mine. And HP is still releasing software/firmware updates for it, which I appreciate. But after the last "HP Elitepad 900 System BIOS/Firmware and Driver UpdateVersion:1.0.2.0 A (15 Oct 2014) I started having problems with touch going away.

The problem didn't show immediately after the upgrade. But a few days the update I came back to the Elitepad after lunch and the touch didn't work. The mouse and keyboard still worked fine, so I tried a reboot and touch was back. Since the reboot fixed the problem I chalked it up to a random glitch and didn't dig deeper. But yesterday it happened again and I wanted to figure it why.

In Device Manager one of the two I2C HID devices (the second) wasn't working and had a yellow warning symbol next to it and Error Code 43. Google search revealed numerous entries about similar problems with other similar tablets but nothing specifically for the Elitepad. But multiple sources, including Microsoft, indicated it was a driver problem. Specifically with a driver failing to come out of sleep mode.

Microsoft recommended updating to the latest drivers but I had them and that was apparently what was causing the problem. I could downgrade but didn't want to do that without exhausting all other alternatives. After some more digging, I found the a post in the Microsoft Community Forum suggesting changing the device setting to uncheck ""Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

I tried doing this yesterday and have no problems since. I even deliberately made the ElitePad go into sleep mode and touch was still available after. After even more Google searches and searches on this site showed that this is a fairly common issue and not just with touch. And I seem to remember back in the early days some of the Clover Trail tablets were delayed to market while vendors worked out driver issues.

And while cross checking the HP firmware version for this post, I discovered that HP has released Version:1.0.2.1 A (31 Oct 2014) for the driver pack. It doesn't show up for me using the Support Assistant Tool but is listed on the HP Support Web Site. If you are having similar problems, I'd follow Microsoft's advice and update to the newest driver set first. I'll be installing the latest drivers myself and when I have time I'll reenable the power saving mode to see if the new drivers fix the problem too.

2. penname

I've been using Windows 10 in a virtual machine hosted on my laptop ever since the preview first became publicly available. On a non-touch device Windows 10 is a vast improvement over any flavor of Win 8.X I tried. But my ElitePad has been so darn stable I didn't want to inflect an early beta OS on it to test out a touch enabled device.

Microsoft released a January update to Win 10 that tempted me. The company I work for has really cut down on travel so I don't have to worry about taking an unstable device on a trip. So I decided to go for it.

Windows 8 bloat had chewed up a lot of the 64 GB on the boot drive so I had to do some extensive cleaning to get the 8 GB of space that the install Wizard demanded. Plus the now familiar requirement to uninstall some of the HP apps. Once that was all taken care of, it took over two hours for the OS to upgrade.

Amazingly enough once I was able to log in the only thing I noticed problems with were Bluetooth. The driver wouldn't start. I couldn't find anything in Google directly referencing this issue on the ElitePad but did find similar issues on Dell tablets. The fix involved manually installing the driver and not letting the OS do it. On the Dells they had to manually drill down to the .inf file for the install to work, but on my ElitePad using the HP installation package worked.

Now I'm looking forward to learning how to work with Win 10 and touch. My very preliminary feeling is that Win 10 is not as touch friendly but that may be due to user ignorance. I'll know much better after a few weeks experience.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

@penname - so you have Win 10 loaded upon your Elitepad 900? Nice! I still have mine but do not use it very much. I did when my screen was cracked on my 1000. It still works great. I have not updated any of the drivers or firmware in a while but if I do I will keep an eye on the driver conflicts. Thanks!

4. penname

I ran the Windows Experience Index utility from the command line under Windows 10. No real performance surprises. Overall system rating was 3.4 but I think only because the gaming video test is no longer performed by the utility. At this stage of the game I was not expecting improvements but was dreading the possibility of lower scores under the new OS. So I'm not unhappy with the results.

5. steven-newbie

steven-newbie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I am new to the Tablet world, my boss just give me a used Elitepad 1000 G2 from work as a gift for some extra stuff that I did for him. Anyway, long story short, the tablet only comes with a charger and I am planning to get some accessories to go with it. I think the G2 stylus and a Expansion jacket for the USB and HDMI port would be a good purchase.

However, I am quite confuse with the content bundle with the Expensive jacket. The picture from HP website shows a pen holder that attaches the stylus with the jacket. And even the HP small and medium business store shows the jacket comes with a pen holder. http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/10467576/mfg_partno/H4J85AA#ABA

However, in Amazon and eBay, the listings for the same product, H4J85AA#ABA didn't mention anything about the pen holder. My question is very simple, for those who owns the jacket, does this Elitepad expensive jacket H4J85AA#ABA comes with a pen holder?? Thanks.

Regards,

Steven

[​IMG]

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just seen the price of the HP, with Atom, Elitepads... Are HP on drugs?

7. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Installed Windows 10 on the Elitepad 1000.

Works like a charm. Best of all, the pen works better and far more consistently!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  8. asfletch

asfletch Pen Pal - Newbie

That's encouraging - I just got an EP1000 and am looking for a pen now. They're thin on the ground here in Aus and the official HP Store isn't working! Have you tested Miracast by the way? It's the one thing which seems to have stopped working for me since updating from 8.1.

9. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Haven't used Miracast with the EP1000. Read other devices are having issues under Win10. Might need a driver from Intel to solve.

10. asfletch

asfletch Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep probably. Here's hoping it's coming soon - just checked and Lenovo have had a Win10 Intel driver pack out for the z3795 Thinkpad 10 since May, refreshed late July. HP has some catching up to do.

I only got mine recently and didn't use it for long on 8.1, but I get the impression battery life has taken a hit, so hoping Intel drivers will address that too.

UPDATE: After doing a bit more snooping, I realised that the TP10 and EP1000 use exactly the same Intel hardware platform, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and install the TP drivers for Win10 (dated 28 July). Pleased to report that, so far, everything seems snappier and nothing has broken. Will update this post again if situation changes.

2 WEEKS LATER : Everything still works thankfully. However, battery life has not improved. Powercfg reports an average of just over 6 hours, which I suppose is not unusual for a windows tablet. Still, I lose about 20% overnight even with connected standby disabled (!), which is annoying. Perhaps I will try enabling hibernation after 4 hours like a Surface Pro.

3 WEEKS LATER: Finally found what I thought was a driver issue - microphones were so quiet as to be almost inaudible even at max level and boost. Rolled back to HP drivers, but no change. Eventually figured out that the echo/noise cancelling/beam forming options in the "DTS Audio Control Panel" from Realtek (which I had stopped from loading automatically) were the culprits. Each of these three settings makes the microphones unusable for me; only "Disabled" restores expected functionality. Did anyone have this issue under 8.1? Seems a shame not to be able to use the advanced mic features....

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015